Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else fed up with being single right now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

There is nothing sexier or hotter, than confident strong women. It trumps looks any time. Any guy who tells you otherwise is a lyre.

There is nothing wrong with strong confident women, but those attributes would be way way down on the list for me. Looks and personality trumps the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

Sorry cant help out there, I am currently in a grate relationship with a fantastic woman
    :-)

But perhaps the following ramblings will help you.

You could always setup a meet up group for something you are interested in, I don’t mean a singles meetup group, but a meetup group for something which you really enjoy doing.

A lot of people really like dining out groups, and they give you a chance to talk to people.

The webpage for meetup is meetup.com

You could start a group for anything there., and you will find that the local media may even help you promote it, if you promote it as something fun to do.

Meetup do charge to setup a group, however if you are going to be bringing businesses a pile of customers, they may sponsor your group.

Or even easier, just pass a hat around at each meetup, and ask everyone to throw in a euro.

You could also have a house party, and ask your friends to bring along a guest. This is a grate way of meeting people, and as it is your house, you are at home and more relaxed.

On the sex thing well I will tell you a little secret guise wont have sex unless they feel something either. If you are seen as a leader in a group you will get a lot of offers, and you can choose the person who makes you feel what ever it is you look for to have a relation ship, or even just hot passionate sex. There is nothing sexier or hotter, than confident strong women. It trumps looks any time. Any guy who tells you otherwise is a lyre.

A guy who cant handle a confident woman is best staying away from.

By the way if I feel something for a women I will always approach her and if it is right I will take her to bed, and I wont care about the length of time I have known her. I have taken women to bed, within half an hour, or I knew one women for 4 years before I thought it was right to take her to bed.

by the way I was at a house party one time when a woman told me that all she wanted from a relationship was a man who could make her laugh, and make her scream, She then said a relation ship ends not when you stop screaming, but when you stop laughing.

Ps Love the username, sounds like you are a fun person, so I hope you have some fun and find a person who can make you laugh and scream.

Sorry, but No, no, no, NO , NOOOOOOOOO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with strong confident women, but those attributes would be way way down on the list for me. Looks and personality trumps the rest.

Yeah everyone is different and have different needs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

Did anyone get any action as a result of this thread or has it been 50 pages of reinforcing previous disappointments?
    Nope not even a pm, rejected and dejected I am or is that ejected?

Nope not even a pm, rejected and dejected I am or is that ejected?

why don't you send out the pm's? If it ain't happening, make it happen :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

Think we're all ok with (used to ) rejection at this stage :-)
    ha ha ha
    is there any way that you could send a pm to yourself?
    ha ha I'll send myself a few :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

gee; so much angst and wasted energy...

What does everyone look for in a partner? For me, looks are important (I'm shallow, it's one of my flaws and realise it probably makes it harder for me to find guys but hey that's just me) I'm sorry but I need some attraction physically as well as emotionally and mentally, but obviously personality is so important; they need to be down to earth, have a sense of humour and a bit of ambition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

What does everyone look for in a partner? For me, looks are important (I'm shallow, it's one of my flaws and realise it probably makes it harder for me to find guys but hey that's just me) I'm sorry but I need some attraction physically as well as emotionally and mentally, but obviously personality is so important; they need to be down to earth, have a sense of humour and a bit of ambition.

Shallow would be if looks were ALL that mattered. Looks being important to you just makes you human (and honest), not shallow.

why don't you send out the pm's? If it ain't happening, make it happen :)
    I only want dinner, if I start sending pm's to random men saying wanna take me for dinner they are going to read it as "yayyy a free ride for a bag of tayto"

I am very happy being single, I opened my own business so work long stupid hours to make it work plus I work from home so do not meet anyone

I have great mates who are all completely cracked and great fun,all I want a bit of dinner with a man and some new conversation, its not like I am looking for a lot!

p.s I am blonde, blue eyed a geek and fun :)

• Advertisement

I only want dinner, if I start sending pm's to random men saying wanna take me for dinner they are going to read it as "yayyy a free ride for a bag of tayto"

I am very happy being single, I opened my own business so work long stupid hours to make it work plus I work from home so do not meet anyone

I have great mates who are all completely cracked and great fun,all I want a bit of dinner with a man and some new conversation, its not like I am looking for a lot!

You might have had bad experiences but you never know, there might be one descent guy looking for more than sex for a trade in of tayto, haha, good line silverbling :D

Well done on your commitment to your business btw! Can't be easy!

I was more thinkin supermacs, then again I always was a step up from the norm :D

ryan101 wrote: »
    I was more thinkin supermacs ;)

Your in there silverbling ;)

ryan101 wrote: »
    I was more thinkin supermacs, then again I always was a step up from the norm :D

Who said romance is dead? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Genuine question: Should the gentleman pay ?

It depends who asked who out in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

It depends who asked who out in my opinion.

To be honest, if we were going for dinner, I would always pay, but I would expect her to pay for the next time.

That's why I tend to leave dinner off until date 3 / 4 because otherwise I would be broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Minimix

Congrats on having the cojones to ask someone out. Don't let the fact that you had a negative experience with it put you off. Keep doing it.

If someone doesn't want to spend time in your company, it's their loss.

Thanks! Problem is trying to find/meet the guys in the first place!

I've never been for dinner :(
    but I would offer to pay /go halves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

deise08 wrote: »
    I've never been for dinner :(
    but I would offer to pay /go halves

You've never been for dinner? Jaysus, you must be starving by now!

• Advertisement

To be honest, if we were going for dinner, I would always pay, but I would expect her to pay for the next time.

That's why I tend to leave dinner off until date 3 / 4 because otherwise I would be broke.

Totally empathize, actually I probably shouldn't be looking for a relationship atm, I'm currently looking for a job and social welfare doesn't go far when you have bills, loans and cars to pay for, let alone other expenses. I can't afford a boyfriend, haha, damn my independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭martinosullivan

I am assuming heterosexuality here, but perhaps it is the same for people who have a same sex orientation

It has very little to do with looks, If you can make someone laugh, or feel good that is 90% of it. The last bit guys forget is it comes down to touch.

And by touch I don’t mean grabbing someone’s breasts or arsse. I mean subtle touch, like a touch on the arm, or making a joke out of reading someone’s palm, or spinning someone around on the dance floor, or pretending to tango with someone, Not a bad skill to have, I cant do it however it has never stopped me pretending that I could.

The key thing is the touch must be natural, and occur spontaneously as they say “don’t tell me show me”.

Just go out and have some fun and people will be drawn to that, but you then have to notice that they are drawn, and if you catch a persons eye then walk over to her and invite her to join in.

There are lots of books about this kind of stuff on the internet, some of them good some of them rubbish, however they all have one thing in common, they all say you must just go out there and try, otherwise all the books in the world wont help you.

By the way there are a lot of women who are vegans and Vegetarians so if you are looking to date women, look on meet up for these groups, there are a few in Dublin.

Another group is New and Not So New in Dublin, this is just a group of people who meetup, and go dancing, or meetup in a pub. You don’t have to be a drinker, a lot of them are not.

My thoughts on why a lot of women aren’t into sex on first dates, is that a lot of guys are just so bad at sex. When I was in my teens over 18 of course, because nobody has sex below that age, I always pursued women who were in their thirties , and 2 who were in their forties. And boy did I learn a lot.

For a woman when she is with a guy for the first time, here is a good trick, and you would not believe how well it works. If you think that your partner is not going to be gentle, then just whisper in his ear, that because he is so huge you are a little scared that he is going to hurt you, and ask him to take it real slow. Trust me there is no guy who can resist this one.

but remember life is supposed to be fun, so just go and have some fun.

.For a woman when she is with a guy for the first time, here is a good trick, and you would not believe how well it works. If you think that your partner is not going to be gentle, then just whisper in his ear, that because he is so huge you are a little scared that he is going to hurt you, and ask him to take it real slow. Trust me there is no guy who can resist this one.

For me when I'm with a guy on the first date, I don't care what he does or says, I don't give sex up on a first date due to my own personal beliefs. But thats just me. This sounds like a tip on how to get a ride as quick as possible, haha :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Well I'm looking for a tall, dark, handsome, comedian, late 20's early 30's & most important, good chemistry... Not asking for much haha

I will always offer to pay half, if the gentleman insists I accept it gracefully and will buy a drink or the next meal.

If I have no intention of meeting him again I will insist on paying half

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Well I'm looking for a tall, dark, handsome, comedian, late 20's early 30's & most important, good chemistry... Not asking for much haha

6'3" tall enough. the dark bit unfortunately I don't posses

Big Steve wrote: »
    6'3" tall enough. the dark bit unfortunately I don't posses

6'3" would do alright... I wouldn't have to slouch at all haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I am assuming heterosexuality here, but perhaps it is the same for people who have a same sex orientation

<PUA waffle on how to get your hole (reek of desperation)>

but remember life is supposed to be fun, so just go and have some fun.

martin I'd say you're a hoot at parties :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

The last few dates ive been on ive offered to pay but she insisted on paying half..

I just thought it was common enough these days

• Advertisement

The last few dates ive been on ive offered to pay but she insisted on paying half..

It probably is but I am over 40, so things were different when we were younger

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

A lot of it depends on cultural background. In my experience Irish women are quite happy to pay half or all of dinner/drinks etc.

However girls from Latin American countries or Eastern Europe for instance, they would generally expect the man to pay - at least initially and if he did the asking out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,920 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Don't think I can really contribute anything new but here goes:

I've had to move 3 times in as many years for work reasons. I'm currently finding it difficult to forge a meaningful connection with anyone, let alone a potential partner. I went to my first meetup event last weekend and there was a really unwelcomming vibe about it. I went to the pub on my own afterwards and got the same vibe so I went home.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I've had to move 3 times in as many years for work reasons. I'm currently finding it difficult to forge a meaningful connection with anyone, let alone a potential partner. I went to my first meetup event last weekend and there was a really unwelcomming vibe about it. I went to the pub on my own afterwards and got the same vibe so I went home.

Sorry to hear that chapaill.
    It's hard enough going to something on your own without experiencing that feeling too :(
    well you're very welcome here!
    we're a nice bunch, even if I do say so myself.
    what part of the country you in?
    Waterford here :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,920 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Sorry to hear that chapaill.
    It's hard enough going to something on your own without experiencing that feeling too :(
    well you're very welcome here!
    we're a nice bunch, even if I do say so myself.
    what part of the country you in?
    Waterford here :)

Thanks for the kind post but I live in the UK so going for a pint isn't really an option!

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Theres a lot to be said for Cinema and a big feed of Mc Donalds after!:D

• Advertisement

Thanks for the kind post but I live in the UK so going for a pint isn't really an option!

Ha ha ha that's the quickest I've been shot down yet :-)
    ha ha ha
    Do you work on your own?
    do you have colleagues that you could go out with?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Forget them and just try some of the other meet-ups in the area! I was at my first one a couple of weekends back. Everyone was sound and it was good craic. So try another one or two of them :)

Ha ha ha that's the quickest I've been shot down yet :-)
    ha ha ha
    Do you work on your own?
    do you have colleagues that you could go out with?

Most of the people at work aren't terribly friendly. Also, they're nearly all women so asking if any of them fancy the pub could be mis-interpreted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

In regards the paying thing, I'm happy to pay my share and always offer that.
    If a guy asks me out for drink and that's all we're getting I have no problem if he pays but I like to get him at least one. If we go to a cinema, again I'd pay my half, if he gets the tickets then I get the nibbles and drinks. If we're going for dinner, it's half and half.

I don't like arguing so when the guys are really persistent I just let them pay but will insist on treating them the next time. I remember one guy especially, we had a really nice date but he just refused to let me pay for anything, the dinner included (nothing too fancy, pizza and a glass of wine each but still) so after leaving the restaurant I popped into a shop and got him some sweets he mentioned he liked in a conversation before, he had a good laugh over that.

I also think that people should agree where to go. I absolutely hate talking money and I enjoy the fancy places from time to time but was seeing a guy for a while, who just loved the fancy bars and restaurants. I like nice food and don't mind to pay a little bit extra at times but I'd prefer heads up when going for 60quid per head dinner :mad:
    I prefer simpler cosy places.

I'm quite laid back when it comes to this. The last time I went out with someone we ended up in Eddie Rockets. :pac:

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

Karsini wrote: »
    I'm quite laid back when it comes to this. The last time I went out with someone we ended up in Eddie Rockets. :pac:

I actually like Eddie Rockets, their Caesar salad with marinated grilled chicken and lots of fries is my guilty pleasure :o
    I'm fairly easy going. I can do fancy but I much prefer the low key places. Fish & chips in a park on a sunny day was much nicer than a dinner in a posh restaurant. It's all about the company :)

Not relevant but I found this place on a recent trip to Moscow.

304841.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

304841.jpg

In Soviet Russia, burger eat YOU!:mad:

Was just looking at that there and an ad for Eddie rockets comes on the telly. don't think I've ever seen an ad for them before!
    spooky :)

Yeah, I was talking to an American friend of mine once and she mentioned them. We wonderered if there was any connection.

Was just looking at that there and an ad for Eddie rockets comes on the telly. don't think I've ever seen an ad for them before!
    spooky :)

DESTINY

Karsini wrote: »
    Yeah, I was talking to an American friend of mine once and she mentioned them. We wonderered if there was any connection.

I'm nicking this line for random posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

limk2014 wrote: »
    Hi people. I hope I can jump into the conversation there myself. I'm struggling away myself to try and get into the dating scene. It seems next to near impossible. I'm physically fit, tall enough and I don't think my face is that repulsive lol. I can't seem to get into the whole thing at all. I don't drink and I don't think that helps. I've no intention of taking up drinking either. Does anybody else find problems meeting people in ireland because of the drinking culture? And does anyone know a way around it?

its not any easier with drinking:(:(....kinda half gave it up the drinking (nothing since January...don't miss it...still enjoy the nights out though-you can meet people out when not drinking IMO...those that don't want to be talking to you because your not drinking...arnet any great loss;))

if anything its nearly easier as you have more time for pasttimes etc...im working mad enough hours at the min,so don't really want to be wasting me days off hungover/wreaked...
    when I could be out having fun/doing new things...

.was never big into it anyway...maybe go out one or two weekends then maybe nothing for months:o

so emm...cant really suggest ways around it...still trying to figure it out meself:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Minimix

limk2014 wrote: »
    Hi people. I hope I can jump into the conversation there myself. I'm struggling away myself to try and get into the dating scene. It seems next to near impossible. I'm physically fit, tall enough and I don't think my face is that repulsive lol. I can't seem to get into the whole thing at all. I don't drink and I don't think that helps. I've no intention of taking up drinking either. Does anybody else find problems meeting people in ireland because of the drinking culture? And does anyone know a way around it?

Yea I do. I'm not into drinking scene either and because of this I sometimes feel like I don't fit in on nights out. Some men seem to be scared off when they realise you're sober. Maybe it's the same the other way around too. Apart from the pub scene though it's hard to know where else you have real potential to meet people. Haven't worked that out myself either!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement