Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else fed up with being single right now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

Cogsy88 wrote: »
    DATES!! I haven't even talked to a girl other then my mam or sister in over a year.

So that means you never will? The suggestion of going to the gym is a great one for boosting your confidence. I've always played sport at a decent level but I was always too self concious to go to the gym because i was ridiculously skinny compared to the muscle men you see inside there. I had the same feeling you did that everyone was looking and sniggering,and at the end of the day I didn't even know where to start.

I started going when i was left with no other option last year when my friend who was driving gave me the option of going in with him or sitting in the car so I went along with him.It turned out to be quite the opposite i walked in and i was asked what my goals were.They gave me a simple exercise plan and told me what i should be eating and when i should be. Everyone is in the gym for different reasons but everyone there will help you out whether you need a spot for your last lift or want to know if your doing an exercise right

It's a great way to boost confidence if you can just get through your first session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I reckon the majority of people aren't "uber" confident.
    I know I never was. But I learned to fake it. Not in a mental Wolf of Wall St way :D
    I just watched people(this is when I was much younger)who worked well in social situations, listened to how they spoke and more importantly, how they LISTENED to others in the conversation(everyone, no exception, loves to feel like they are being heard)and this skill can be very, very attractive not only with your peers but also with the opposite sex.
    If you have your own pity party on a regular basis, you will find fewer and fewer people want to attend and pretty soon it will be a party for one. And I am not saying this to mean or cruel. Just truthful.
    If anyone wants to find be it friends or a partner, you HAVE to put yourself out there as life will not walk in the door for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

deise08 wrote: »
    Cogsy.
    What do you like? do?
    films? games? Xbox?
    what do you do to fill the day?

Fixing old fords, jus like messing about wit my spanners and tools. Other then dat jus stare at the wall really.

Yurt wrote: »
    So that means you never will? The suggestion of going to the gym is a great one for boosting your confidence. I've always played sport at a decent level but I was always too self concious to go to the gym because i was ridiculously skinny compared to the muscle men you see inside there. I had the same feeling you did that everyone was looking and sniggering,and at the end of the day I didn't even know where to start.

I started going when i was left with no other option last year when my friend who was driving gave me the option of going in with him or sitting in the car so I went along with him.It turned out to be quite the opposite i walked in and i was asked what my goals were.They gave me a simple exercise plan and told me what i should be eating and when everyone is in the gym for different reasons but everyone there will help you out whether you need a spot for your last lift or want to know if your doing an exercise right

It's a great way to boost confidence if you can just get through your first session.

I said I don't like the gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

Fixing old fords, jus like messing about wit my spanners and tools. Other then dat jus stare at the wall really.

That actually sounds very interesting
    Would you go to vintage car shows so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Any courses/vouluntary groups/ hobbies/interests you might like to start? Other than girls of course :p Are you working atm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,120 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

male 24

im sick of being single, its so hard to find someone. im going to start on a dating website but dont know what the best ones are ???.

Im not in it for sex i want someone i can have a laugh with, go somewhere with etc

That actually sounds very interesting
    Would you go to vintage car shows so?

Nobody to go with. Der not dat old but I'd love a vintage jus don't have the money.

Smidge wrote: »
    I know I never was. But I learned to fake it. Not in a mental Wolf of Wall St way :D
    I just watched people(this is when I was much younger)who worked well in social situations, listened to how they spoke and more importantly, how they LISTENED to others in the conversation(everyone, no exception, loves to feel like they are being heard)and this skill can be very, very attractive not only with your peers but also with the opposite sex.
    If you have your own pity party on a regular basis, you will find fewer and fewer people want to attend and pretty soon it will be a party for one. And I am not saying this to mean or cruel. Just truthful.
    If anyone wants to find be it friends or a partner, you HAVE to put yourself out there as life will not walk in the door for you.

There's only so much truth to the whole confidence thing. I know I'm not attractive in the looks stakes but I keep getting the "you are" reassurance from girls along with "ya need to be more confident". Pretty sure the lack of confidence can't come across online where I have an even lower success rate than in real life. I just don't like dishonesty. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Any of you brahs ever use Tinder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

No you said you went for 5 minutes and walked out..Nobody likes the first time they go to the gym.

You don't seem to give anything a chance..Go for a month and stick to a routine and I'll put a lot of money on with you that you'll tell me at least 1 of 2 things

1) You'll change your mind and actually like it

2)You feel 100 times more confident than you do today.

What the worst that can happen,You don't seem to like much right now? What harm is going to the gym going to do ?

Any courses/vouluntary groups/ hobbies/interests you might like to start? Other than girls of course :p Are you working atm?

No not working at the moment, I am an electrician but would much prefare to be a mechanic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

You gotta go out there, walk tall, look the world right in the eyeballs, and kick it in the balls, no two ways about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

It's ok, not everybody does Cogsy. You don't have to go there. While gym is not your thing the input the other poster had about over coming his fear/dislike for gym was good.
    There were few other suggestions made as well. You just keep shooting everything down. People try to be helpful but you're like a broken record. If you wanna get out of that rut you're stuck in you gotta keep your mind open.

You like fixing old fords. Now there's something! See you've got something interesting going.
    The staring at a wall? Not so much. That could be filled with other activities but it's you who's got to do that job.

No not working at the moment, I am an electrician but would much prefare to be a mechanic.

Would anywhere be willing to give you an apprenticeship? Or just ask to be around a garage/ mechanics and offer to help, could learn stuff and get to work on cars to? it would be a win win.
    As for the gyms, I'm wit you. wouldn't be my cup of tea at all! but I do find that getting out walking. attempting running is good for the mind! wasn't in a good place a while back so started going out to the beach walking and started to feel more human again.

There's only so much truth to the whole confidence thing. I know I'm not attractive in the looks stakes but I keep getting the "you are" reassurance from girls along with "ya need to be more confident". Pretty sure the lack of confidence can't come across online where I have an even lower success rate than in real life. I just don't like dishonesty. :pac:

But that's my point really.
    Confidence is an illusion, nothing more.
    Its nothing definitive so therefore not concrete and can definitely be learnt and faked until you get the "taste" of being confident feels and then you don't need to fake it any longer.
    It has nothing to do with being dishonest.
    I always looked at it like "playing the part of myself just as I wanted people to see me".
    It worked.
    I made myself interesting and others then in turn found me interesting.
    If you dont break the cycle, no-one else will do it for you.
    I decided that I wanted to be part of society and liked and included.
    But I had to make the effort. It wasn't easy but what I soon discovered that it was only myself holding me back.
    No-one ever suspected I was faking it. No-one ever let on even if they did.
    MAYBE they were faking it too ;)

People have even stoped posting now I guess dats my cue to leave.
    Although I have quoted Cogsy, this can be applied to anyone.

Going to the gym for the first time can be kinda ****ty. Odds are you wont have a clue what you're doing, you can't lift much, run far etc etc. Everyone has been there. Outside of getting fit, sticking with the gym will do wonders for your confidence and your state of mind. If you're having a ****ty day and you spend 45 mins or whatever at the gym, you'll feel so much better after.

You're body will change, you'll get stronger, fitter and subsequently you'll become more confident. I know the gym isn't for anyone and gyms full of meatheads can be intimidiating, but most people who go to the gym go for the right reasons and not intimidate weaker people. If you went to the gym for 3-4 days a week for the next month, you'd be surprised how much you're fitness will change and this will lead to other changes like your self esteem improving. Don't give up after 5 minutes, stick through with it and suck it up. It's too easy to walk away with your head down. I know so many people who talk **** about trying to get fit etc but don't put in the work. When I started going to the gym, I was 15 stone and felt like ****. I couldn't do a single chin up, now (not trying to be a cocky little ****) I pretty much leave everyone else for dead with chin ups at my gym. Now I'm the best shape of my life and i'm also a way more confident as a result.

I'm not into motivational videos etc but watch this and tell me you don't want to go out and change something for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

I'm not working either atm and I think that knocked my confidence a bit, not sure if you can relate. It also gave me way more time to think about things and dwell on things.

So I've tried to give myself a routine involving looking for a job, doing voluntary work, getting experience related to psychology (my field), follow an eating and exercise plan and make time for reading, listening to music and singing. I find the more I keep busy and focus on myself and my goals, the less time I have to worry or think about other things.

It's my bed time now, but I hope you do feel better! Try make sure you're eating right and getting enough sleep because that can really mess up one's mentality amongst other things, it did for me anyway but I'm trying to correct it. Night!

Would anywhere be willing to give you an apprenticeship? Or just ask to be around a garage/ mechanics and offer to help, could learn stuff and get to work on cars to? it would be a win win.
    As for the gyms, I'm wit you. wouldn't be my cup of tea at all! but I do find that getting out walking. attempting running is good for the mind! wasn't in a good place a while back so started going out to the beach walking and started to feel more human again.

Nobody will take me I don't really blame dem I haven't worked in two years. I do no a thing or two abou cars though.

ryan101 wrote: »
    You gotta go out there, walk tall, look the world right in the eyeballs, and kick it in the balls, no two ways about it.

And as I said previously, not in a "Hey MF'ers, look at me, I'm da sh1t!" way.
    That's neither attractive nor confident.
    Just ridiculous :)

• Advertisement

But that's my point really.
    Confidence is an illusion, nothing more.
    Its nothing definitive so therefore not concrete and can definitely be learnt and faked until you get the "taste" of being confident feels and then you don't need to fake it any longer.
    It has nothing to do with being dishonest.
    I always looked at it like "playing the part of myself just as I wanted people to see me".
    It worked.
    I made myself interesting and others then in turn found me interesting.
    If you dont break the cycle, no-one else will do it for you.
    I decided that I wanted to be part of society and liked and included.
    But I had to make the effort. It wasn't easy but what I soon discovered that it was only myself holding me back.
    No-one ever suspected I was faking it. No-one ever let on even if they did.
    MAYBE they were faking it too ;)
    I wasn't talking about that as being dishonest.
    When I say to someone that a big part of why I have so little success with the ladies is my appearance I get platitudes in response. People mean well but they're full of ****. The fact that I do better in real life than online (where people can even stop replying at any stage if they choose) suggests to me that I'm "outperforming" my looks to an extent.

Nobody will take me I don't really blame dem I haven't worked in two years. I do no a thing or two abou cars though.

Even if you went in and said hey, I'll come in for free just so you could be doin somethin you enjoy?

or what about neighbours? Just say that you'll have a look if they ever have any trouble before they bring it to a garage.. would be a start to gettin talking to people.
    I know of a lad living out by my friend would be like you, and he looks at cul their cars.

Even if you went in and said hey, I'll come in for free just so you could be doin somethin you enjoy?

or what about neighbours? Just say that you'll have a look if they ever have any trouble before they bring it to a garage.. would be a start to gettin talking to people.
    I know of a lad living out by my friend would be like you, and he looks at cul their cars.

I serviced 3 cars at the weekend and I'm fixing up an old focus for myself at the moment jus doin a wheel bearing at the moment den she's nearly finished.

I wasn't talking about that as being dishonest.
    When I say to someone that a big part of why I have so little success with the ladies is my appearance I get platitudes in response. People mean well but they're full of ****. The fact that I do better in real life than online (where people can even stop replying at any stage if they choose) suggests to me that I'm "outperforming" my looks to an extent.

I thought you meant you found the initial faking of the confidence as dishonest.

I'm a little confused by this post tbh.
    You reckon that people are just placating you about how you look when you say you are not having much luck with women(so they must be saying you are not bad looking etc).
    And you seem to suggest that you dont think you are that great looking by saying that they are full of sh1t.
    Is it that your personality is much more impressive than your appearance?(and i'm not being smart, thats the case for most people I would imagine, most folk in the world are not super models ;))
    If so, you are streets ahead!!
    Ask a woman to choose between a great looking guy and a guy with a great personality?
    A few will go for the good looking guy but tbh they are the ones to avoid imo.
    The vast majority will go for the guy with the personality :)

I serviced 3 cars at the weekend and I'm fixing up an old focus for myself at the moment jus doin a wheel bearing at the moment den she's nearly finished.

Well done :-) I'd love to be able to that.
    that's my biggest regret. not going into something like that when I finished school. it wasn't the done thing in my day. girls don't do engines :)

Well done :-) I'd love to be able to that.
    that's my biggest regret. not going into something like that when I finished school. it wasn't the done thing in my day. girls don't do engines :)

Engines don't nag at ya or spend all ur wages on make up and clothes.

Not all girls do that either :-)

So you say you want to meet women/date them, but this is your view of them?
    Sorry Cogsy, that outlook won't get you very far with them tbh.
    If thats how you view women, its most certainly not going to come off as attractive to them.

You're bitterness is just going to keep gnawing away at you till the point where you'll just end up hating women.

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    You're bitterness is just going to keep gnawing away at you till the point where you'll just end up hating women.

Did your girlfriend go off and hav a kid with one of ur mates after being with her for five years?

I thought you meant you found the initial faking of the confidence as dishonest.

I'm a little confused by this post tbh.
    You reckon that people are just placating you about how you look when you say you are not having much luck with women(so they must be saying you are not bad looking etc).
    And you seem to suggest that you dont think you are that great looking by saying that they are full of sh1t.
    Is it that your personality is much more impressive than your appearance?(and i'm not being smart, thats the case for most people I would imagine, most folk in the world are not super models ;))
    If so, you are streets ahead!!
    Ask a woman to choose between a great looking guy and a guy with a great personality?
    A few will go for the good looking guy but tbh they are the ones to avoid imo.
    The vast majority will go for the guy with the personality :)
    My success rate in real life is still pitifully low :P The point I'm making is that "it's not about looks" only applies to some extent. Getting 0 replies from online dating sites shows that obviously I'm not very good-looking (even though I chose the best photo of me I could find :pac: ) despite all the platitudes and nice comments from friends. They try to say my low success rate in real life is because I'm not confident enough, but the online experience suggests that it ain't low confidence holding me back. :pac:

Not all girls do that either :-)

Can't help if I've bein treated badly.

No you cant, and I'm very sorry to hear of what had happened.
    Don't think we're all leaving ya but its way past my bedtime.
    hopefully tomorrow you can wake up and find some positive for the day.
    be it gettin that baring fixed or going for a walk,or even just listening to the swallows signalling summer coming in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I've been treated badly by men.

Actually, an ex did something much, much worse than what your ex did after 5 years with you. He destroyed my life. I don't mean that in a dramatic 'I'll never get over him' sense
    He literally ruined my life for 7 years.

I still don't hate men.

One person, or even a handful of people being horrible does not mean that all of that gender are the same.

I've dated lots of people. One ruined me, two were fcuking scumbags. The rest were grand. I deliberately stayed single for ages, and the guy I'm with now is wonderful.

Don't write off an entire gender because of a few cnuts.

Tbh, from what I've seen of your posts in this thread, I'd recommend that you speak to your gp. I'm not being a cow saying that, I genuinely mean it. You come across as being more than just down in the dumps. Maybe it's time to ask for some help.

I've been treated badly by men.

Actually, an ex did something much, much worse than what your ex did after 5 years with you. He destroyed my life. I don't mean that in a dramatic 'I'll never get over him' sense
    He literally ruined my life for 7 years.

I still don't hate men.

One person, or even a handful of people being horrible does not mean that all of that gender are the same.

I've dated lots of people. One ruined me, two were fcuking scumbags. The rest were grand. I deliberately stayed single for ages, and the guy I'm with now is wonderful.

Don't write off an entire gender because of a few cnuts.

Tbh, from what I've seen of your posts in this thread, I'd recommend that you speak to your gp. I'm not being a cow saying that, I genuinely mean it. You come across as being more than just down in the dumps. Maybe it's time to ask for some help.

U found someone I won't I don't go out.

• Advertisement

My success rate in real life is still pitifully low :P The point I'm making is that "it's not about looks" only applies to some extent. Getting 0 replies from online dating sites shows that obviously I'm not very good-looking (even though I chose the best photo of me I could find :pac: ) despite all the platitudes and nice comments from friends. They try to say my low success rate in real life is because I'm not confident enough, but the online experience suggests that it ain't low confidence holding me back. :pac:

Get ya :)
    I think what that does say is that the people who looked at your profile pic decided you weren't for them, prob based on limited info ie pic etc.
    Thankfully, the whole world doesn't use dating sites ;)

The way I look at it is, "You have to use what ya got":D
    I wouldn't consider my self traditional good looking by anyones standards but I worked with what I got.
    Decent clothes, good haircut, look after how you look.
    Aint to be sniffed at.

True story.
    I knew a guy who would have been "considered" unfortunate in the appearance department. You name it, he was it. Very over weight, bad teeth, Irish hair colour(;)). But a nice enough guy.
    He disappeared totally from going to the local for months upon months.
    Then, he returned.
    He had spent months in the gym, got his teeth done, totally changed his hair and clothes. He was like a new man and it showed. He was now very confident to boot. He never had any difficulty dating after that.
    He just invested in himself. Women do it all the time, why not men?

No you cant, and I'm very sorry to hear of what had happened.
    Don't think we're all leaving ya but its way past my bedtime.
    hopefully tomorrow you can wake up and find some positive for the day.
    be it gettin that baring fixed or going for a walk,or even just listening to the swallows signalling summer coming in.

I hope so man. thanx.

Get ya :)
    I think what that does say is that the people who looked at your profile pic decided you weren't for them, prob based on limited info ie pic etc.
    Thankfully, the whole world doesn't use dating sites ;)

The way I look at it is, "You have to use what ya got":D
    I wouldn't consider my self traditional good looking by anyones standards but I worked with what I got.
    Decent clothes, good haircut, look after how you look.
    Aint to be sniffed at.
    Not much I can do when it comes to haircuts. :P Also the huskier unemployed gentleman isn't well-catered for when it comes to clothes in Ireland. :pac:
    True story.
    I knew a guy who would have been "considered" unfortunate in the appearance department. You name it, he was it. Very over weight, bad teeth, Irish hair colour(;)). But a nice enough guy.
    He disappeared totally from going to the local for months upon months.
    Then, he returned.
    He had spent months in the gym, got his teeth done, totally changed his hair and clothes. He was like a new man and it showed. He was now very confident to boot. He never had any difficulty dating after that.
    He just invested in himself. Women do it all the time, why not men?
    So it is about appearance, gotcha. :P

U found someone I won't I don't go out.

I met him through work. I didn't go out looking to meet someone.

So you haven't settled down with someone for life yet - so what? You're still young, and people settle down later these days.

As for not going out, then complaining that you're single - you know how to sort it. Go out.

You're deliberately self sabotaging tbh. Which is why I suggested you see a doctor.

With your attitude towards women though, I don't think meeting anyone will do you any good.

A partner should add to your happiness, not make you happy. Honestly I think if you met someone now, you'd scare them off by becoming obsessive and dependent.

Work on yourself. Forget women. Work on making yourself happy first. That's what I did.

The rest will come.

Not much I can do when it comes to haircuts. :P Also the huskier unemployed gentleman isn't well-catered for when it comes to clothes in Ireland. :pac:

So it is about appearance, gotcha. :P

No, its not ALL about appearance!
    Its about working with what you have.

If you were selling a car on donedeal, would you give it a "spruce up" before posting it?
    Or would you leave it covered in muck and full of empty crisp bags and snack boxes?:pac:

• Advertisement

I met him through work. I didn't go out looking to meet someone.

So you haven't settled down with someone for life yet - so what? You're still young, and people settle down later these days.

As for not going out, then complaining that you're single - you know how to sort it. Go out.

You're deliberately self sabotaging tbh. Which is why I suggested you see a doctor.

With your attitude towards women though, I don't think meeting anyone will do you any good.

A partner should add to your happiness, not make you happy. Honestly I think if you met someone now, you'd scare them off by becoming obsessive and dependent.

Work on yourself. Forget women. Work on making yourself happy first. That's what I did.

The rest will come.

How can I go ou if I don't drink, don't hav Anybody to go with nd don't like public situations.

No, its not ALL about appearance!
    Its about working with what you have.

If you were selling a car on donedeal, would you give it a "spruce up" before posting it?
    Or would you leave it covered in muck and full of empty crisp bags and snack boxes?:pac:

I'm more into kebabs.
    I'm not arsed with the appearance stuff. Washed and clean clothes is about what I go with. It's all I want from a woman as well. :pac:

I'm more into kebabs.
    I'm not arsed with the appearance stuff. Washed and clean clothes is about what I go with. It's all I want from a woman as well. :pac:

Jaysus, you're not picky :p
    All you want is a woman who washes herself??
    Ah ffs, is there not a washed woman in the state? :P:D

Jaysus, you're not picky :p
    All you want is a woman who washes herself??
    Ah ffs, is there not a washed woman in the state? :P:D

Yeah but unfortunately they all think they're too good for me. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

I grew a pony tail a couple of years ago, lassies used to want to play with it, a real lady magnet

How can I go ou if I don't drink, don't hav Anybody to go with nd don't like public situations.

You don't have to drink to go to a pub or club. Cafes, coffee shops, cinema, bowling, theatres, walks in the park, etc.

If you refuse to go out in public, well, you'll have to learn to deal with being single, to be blunt.

Complaining about being single, while avoiding every single thing that could help you to meet someone is ridiculous. A woman isn't going to arrive at your house and throw herself at you.

I'm not working either atm and I think that knocked my confidence a bit, not sure if you can relate. It also gave me way more time to think about things and dwell on things.

So I've tried to give myself a routine involving looking for a job, doing voluntary work, getting experience related to psychology (my field), follow an eating and exercise plan and make time for reading, listening to music and singing. I find the more I keep busy and focus on myself and my goals, the less time I have to worry or think about other things.

It's my bed time now, but I hope you do feel better! Try make sure you're eating right and getting enough sleep because that can really mess up one's mentality amongst other things, it did for me anyway but I'm trying to correct it. Night!

I can relate, but can't be bothered getting ou of bed really to do all them things ders nothing for me.

You don't have to drink to go to a pub or club. Cafes, coffee shops, cinema, bowling, theatres, walks in the park, etc.

If you refuse to go out in public, well, you'll have to learn to deal with being single, to be blunt.

Complaining about being single, while avoiding every single thing that could help you to meet someone is ridiculous. A woman isn't going to arrive at your house and throw herself at you.

Do u think I like not being able to go ou? Ah we'll if one doesent arrive I'm jus gona have to find dat big high bridge.

Do u think I like not being able to go ou?

I don't know. I don't know you, so couldn't tell you.

So what are you going to do? Wallow in self pity for life, or go get help to help you to be happy?

Your choice. There's really nothing else anyone can say.

Ah we'll if one doesent arrive I'm jus gona have to find dat big high bridge.

And with that gem, I'm out.

If you're serious about suicide, I do not want to give advice which could potentially be detrimental to you, except to once again urge you to seek help.

If you're joking, or being sarcastic (which I suspect you are since you said you'd find a bridge if a woman doesn't throw herself at you), it's a fcuking disgusting thing to joke about.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement