Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else fed up with being single right now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

deise08 wrote: »
    :-) didn't see you round here last night. so was thinkin you were out scouting. :(

Hoping you were after finding us one
    ha ha ha

Sadly laois people really only have hot women around, think we were born the wrong gender,lol :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

Pissy we'll have to find ourselves a county/country where the man/woman ratio is in our favour :) 10 to 1 or something :-)
    I might stand a chance then haha

Pissy we'll have to find ourselves a county/country where the man/woman ratio is in our favour :) 10 to 1 or something :-)
    I might stand a chance then haha

according to endless web pages, the British are considered to have the most sexiest men in the world...up for a night out in London? lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

POF is a bad place for vulnerable peeps like u and me, stay away for now, especially if you have an addictive personality

I went on POF for a while. On the first page of suggestions it showed three girls I work with. Two of them are absolutely horrible people with no redeeming qualities.

I did get a laugh by doing a search and choosing "Drug use Daily" as the only criteria :). There were some very strange people there.

okcupid was better but I actually deactivated the profile after a week because I realised I was jsut too busy. I'm doing a full time college course and working fulltime. Come July I fully intend to explore internet dating.

Cos yeah, like you said in the OP, you can get fed up being single.

according to endless web pages, the British are considered to have the most sexiest men in the world...up for a night out in London? lol :D

:-) road trip :-)
    or would that be air trip?

Grayson wrote: »
    I went on POF for a while. On the first page of suggestions it showed three girls I work with. Two of them are absolutely horrible people with no redeeming qualities.

I did get a laugh by doing a search and choosing "Drug use Daily" as the only criteria :). There were some very strange people there.

okcupid was better but I actually deactivated the profile after a week because I realised I was jsut too busy. I'm doing a full time college course and working fulltime. Come July I fully intend to explore internet dating.

Cos yeah, like you said in the OP, you can get fed up being single.

The very best of luck with it. I'd imagine match.com would be taken more seriously due to the fact you have to pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

:-) road trip :-)
    or would that be air trip?

I believe it's called a booze cruise

boozin next weekend up in the North, gona find myself a sexy man ;) I'll save some for you Dee ;)

• Advertisement

Wohoo.!!!
    you know where I am :-)
    hoping to get up to the star wars thing in the rds myself :)
    try find meself a stormtrooper :)

ah the north! the accent!!
    lucky you.

Wohoo.!!!
    you know where I am :-)
    hoping to get up to the star wars thing in the rds myself :)
    try find meself a stormtrooper :)

ah the north! the accent!!
    lucky you.

Hopefully it won't be as disappointing as coppers in portlaoise, ever been?

No never been up round there before. can't be as bad as down here in Waterford. think I'm going up to portLaoise in October for the Macra rally. think that's where it is this year. can't wait. Worth looking it up if you can

No never been up round there before. can't be as bad as down here in Waterford. think I'm going up to portLaoise in October for the Macra rally. think that's where it is this year. can't wait. Worth looking it up if you can

I've never really heard of it tbh...what does it entail? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

what do boards single people look like ?

What a silly question, we all are absolute rides! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Farmers, and lots of 'em :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I guess I'd kinda like to meet someone. But then I have no idea how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

The very best of luck with it. I'd imagine match.com would be taken more seriously due to the fact you have to pay for it.

Or there is always this option:

http://www.meet-an-inmate.com/male/

I lived with a girl who almost went down this route. She started writing to the US army instead after I told her I didn't want our house featured on a documentary about women who marry serial killers.

I think the really needy people are those in bad relationships because they can't be alone rather than the posters here who would like to meet a person who would be right for them. Being in a good relationship adds to your happiness so why wouldn't people want to be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I think the really needy people are those in bad relationships because they can't be alone rather than the posters here who would like to meet a person who would be right for them. Being in a good relationship adds to your happiness so why wouldn't people want to be happy.

that is a real pity for them....nothing worse than seeing someone being miserable and sticking it out of fear of being alone...

whatever happens...don't want that to happen me/anyone else I know!!:)

Ah every few months they have 'gatherings' :) usually bank holiday weekends
    an excuse for a session :)
    every October is the main one and that's held in a different place each year. last year Carlow was some craic.
    locally there are clubs which organise their own events like tag rugby, walking,local stuff.
    :) as I said though,two years and a few gatherings and I can't even get anyone to look at me.
    they must smell that I'm not a farmer :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

OP I assuming you're in Ireland. Are you in a city or countryside?

I found it pretty hard to meet someone decent in Ireland too, emigrated four years ago though. I love Irish men (ye're all great!) but just found the lack of a dating culture combined with drinking culture and sort of deathly fear that people have of "embarrassing themselves" socially meant that there's no real casual approach or opportunity to meet someone in the normal way that people do in other countries.

When I lived in the States I got approached about once a week, in Canada I'd get asked out or asked if I had a boyfriend in the same way you'd order a coffee or ask what someone does for a living. And currently in the UK there's a less in-your-face culture, but people still approach each other.

First thing I notice when I come back to Ireland for a visit is that people don't look at each other in the same way. Sounds mad, but sometimes I'll be walking down the street and notice people will intentionally avoid eye contact, look the other way if I see them looking, disengage. Whereas abroad it's different. People stare, smile, strike conversation etc.

We're great ones for the banter (arguably the best in the world) but I think there can be a real fear of intimacy/rejection amongst strangers which combined with the lack of dating culture, means the same confidence and ease of approach doesn't exist. I'd probably still be single and disgruntled if I was in Ireland too.

Here's a humourous illustration ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Sometimes I am, no point dwelling on it though.

oak5548 wrote: »
    I find it weird that so many people are needy of physical relationships and having a partner. Of course, thats just my opinion.

I dont think I could handle something like that.
    My last (and only) relationship lasted 2 weeks, and that was 6 years ago when I was a teenager.

I'm too content the way I am. Bit lonely at times but eh.

As Aristotle said "we are social animals" :)

beks101 wrote: »

We're great ones for the banter (arguably the best in the world) but I think there can be a real fear of intimacy/rejection amongst strangers which combined with the lack of dating culture, means the same confidence and ease of approach doesn't exist. I'd probably still be single and disgruntled if I was in Ireland too.

Ha the savage eye - nice! Yeah I'm from the countryside in the Midlands. I think you might be on to something. I was in America and Italy and England, and guys were selling themselves left, right and center. Italy was in a league of it's own though, never saw anything like it, married men and even men thinking I was a hooker when I was wearing a tracksuit of all things!!! (Perhaps a horny nation?).

But yeah unless its in a work environment or through a friend, I think meeting someone in Ireland is as common as winning free liposuction!

cloud493 wrote: »
    I guess I'd kinda like to meet someone. But then I have no idea how.

Well you won't find them in the clouds ;)

Ah every few months they have 'gatherings' :) usually bank holiday weekends
    an excuse for a session :)
    every October is the main one and that's held in a different place each year. last year Carlow was some craic.
    locally there are clubs which organise their own events like tag rugby, walking,local stuff.
    :) as I said though,two years and a few gatherings and I can't even get anyone to look at me.
    they must smell that I'm not a farmer :)

you'd be surprised how backward some young farmers are....this coming from someone who is a farmer (have real job aswell)
    Im not involved with macra myself...believe its great crack though:)
    Well you won't find them in the clouds ;)
    or on boards :pac:
    right that's it...im getting ready and going into town not staying in again!!

Go Get em Tommy boy...Giver one for me ;)

you'd be surprised how backward some young farmers are....this coming from someone who is a farmer (have real job aswell)
    Im not involved with macra myself...believe its great crack though:)

Farming is a real job too!

Have a drink for me :)

don't really drink though....first time in ages out:D:D
    Go Get em Tommy boy...Giver one for me ;)

all going well;) (probabily realistically wont:o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I found it pretty hard to meet someone decent in Ireland too, emigrated four years ago though. I love Irish men (ye're all great!) but just found the lack of a dating culture combined with drinking culture and sort of deathly fear that people have of "embarrassing themselves" socially meant that there's no real casual approach or opportunity to meet someone in the normal way that people do in other countries.

When I lived in the States I got approached about once a week, in Canada I'd get asked out or asked if I had a boyfriend in the same way you'd order a coffee or ask what someone does for a living. And currently in the UK there's a less in-your-face culture, but people still approach each other.

First thing I notice when I come back to Ireland for a visit is that people don't look at each other in the same way. Sounds mad, but sometimes I'll be walking down the street and notice people will intentionally avoid eye contact, look the other way if I see them looking, disengage. Whereas abroad it's different. People stare, smile, strike conversation etc.

Very interesting. And I'd agree to a degree. But did you notice how you emphasized that you get approached? You didnt say anything about approaching.
    This isnt just me, this is practically every bloke, Irish and foreign, handsome and the ordinary that I've talked to about this - Irish women, whether it's the fact that they think they can swing Ryan Goslin if they wanted to or are entitled to a Ryan Goslin, they shoot blokes down in semi-automatic fashion. This is the reality. I'm not saying they shouldnt. You dont have to settle for anything less that you feel you are worth.
    I have friends who are funny, sound, very smart, handsome, good shape and Irish women wont have any of it. It's truly bizarre. What makes it even more bizarre, and explains our culture, is that the blokes that do seem to pull are often sloshed, full of ****, and look like they are about to break open the last button of their shirt and start playin a bango.
    I have one friend who constantly looks hungover and famished and gets abusive when he drinks (whiskey) and some of the Irish women he's pulled would make Darwins theory look silly. You mentioned dating scene. From what I've seen, the opposite sex are a lot more easy with being friends on other countries. It's very normal for both men and women to be friends in other European cultures. Relationships can develop this way. Here, for most blokes it seems, it's some bird in the job or the lottery on a night out.

Aren't you two both in Waterford...why don't ye have a drink together;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I wasn't really, then I met an amazing girl. Then she ended it and now I am sad.

all going well;) (probabily realistically wont:o)

Shine them boots and spit back your hair, and Robin Thicke will have nothin on you :cool:

Aren't you two both in Waterford...why don't ye have a drink together;)

I second this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Juanmorethyme

Sounds like an idea. I may look into some activities but I guess Portlaoise is so tiny, I'm sure there must be a few things out there. Thanks ;)

Amen to that, portlaoise is just too small with not enough happening unless you're into the GAA

siblers wrote: »
    I wasn't really, then I met an amazing girl. Then she ended it and now I am sad.

Your sadness is most welcome here - first 5 minutes are free, €2.44 for every additional minute

guitarzero wrote: »
    But did you notice how you emphasized that you get approached? You didnt say anything about approaching.

I don't know about beks101, but I do approach guys on a night out, even if some guys perceive this to be desperate and they think I'm easy (which I'm so not). It's the 21st century, I'm independent and I believe in equal rights. Maybe I'm just going through the frogs until I meet my prince :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

in Canada I'd get asked out or asked if I had a boyfriend in the same way you'd order a coffee or ask what someone does for a living.

Ha, yes I couldn't get over how casual they were in Canada when it comes to asking people out. I got chatting to a girl who was working in a clothes shop once and she asked me out for a coffee. I remember walking out of the shop thinking, "what the fcuk just happened there?" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

guitarzero wrote: »
    Very interesting. And I'd agree to a degree. But did you notice how you emphasized that you get approached? You didnt say anything about approaching.
    This isnt just me, this is practically every bloke, Irish and foreign, handsome and the ordinary that I've talked to about this - Irish women, whether it's the fact that they think they can swing Ryan Goslin if they wanted to or are entitled to a Ryan Goslin, they shoot blokes down in semi-automatic fashion. This is the reality. I'm not saying they shouldnt. You dont have to settle for anything less that you feel you are worth.

Funnily enough the only place I hear this about Irish women is on boards tbh, I can only speak for myself of course but I've always been very open to approaches and can't to my recollection remember ever 'shooting anyone down' in this seemingly rude and abrupt fashion that is commonly spoken about. Same goes for any female friend I've ever seen being approached.

I love being chatted up and asked out as anyone does and always respond positively and politely to it, even now while in a relationship. It's flattering.

Unless of course yer man is being a rude gee-eyed disruptive twat which is sadly common on the Irish bar/club scene. Never was into that much though.

In terms of making the approach - I've done that a handful of times with Irish men, call me overly-sensitive but having gotten massively burned by an ex or two who I approached and chased for the majority of the relationship, I prefer to lead with flirting and open body language and leave the chap to follow the cues.

I've a pretty open and friendly personality and would say generally I'm pretty approachable and make it more than obvious when I'm into someone - I've never had trouble with that since I emigrated. Only, it would seem, if the target of my affections is Irish! :D

Missy (don't want to keep calling you pissy)
    You're only a young wan how come you're not out on a Saturday night?

Your sadness is most welcome here - first 5 minutes are free, €2.44 for every additional minute

It's ok. Just gonna listen to this on a constant loop for the next 3 months :(

Ha well I was out last weekend, have a head cold atm so going to rest up until it's better, are you heading out? With TomWaterford perhaps? ;)

Actually was out last Sat night, approached a guy and all, he got my phone number but haven't heard from him, ah well, it was a confidence boost at the very least, he was fair fit ;)

Ha well I was out last weekend, have a head cold atm so going to rest up until it's better, are you heading out? With TomWaterford perhaps? ;)

:) ha ha you're gas :) ha ha think he was out the door like speedy gonzales hahaha
    na I've work in the morning and dentist and physio next week,so funds are a bit low :(

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    It's ok. Just gonna listen to this on a constant loop for the next 3 months :(

Great Song Siblers and great attitude. She might have been amazing but you deserve someone even more amazing for you. Chin up kid :) If she didn't stick around, then that's her loss. There's only one you in the world and that's what makes you unique, it's what make you YOU. Never apologize to be yourself coz if someone doesn't accept you for being you then Fu## them!

:) ha ha you're gas :) ha ha think he was out the door like speedy gonzales hahaha
    na I've work in the morning and dentist and physio next week,so funds are a bit low :(

Well at least boards.ie brought us together for some economical entertainment :)

oak5548 wrote: »
    I know but it sometimes irritates me how desperate people are for it. Its so superficial in a way, like people who cant go without their phone for 10 minutes without getting seperation anxiety. People complain that they havent had a partner in x months, which is a really short time.

yuck

yeah i can go years without a relationship, the fact that im not in one now is evidence in itself, some people perhaps are the relationship types, maybe they find it hard to adapt to single life, who knows, anyway my point is...are you single and hot? :P

Some of us aren't talking months :)
    sometimes it would just be nice to be on the inside looking out for a change :)
    ya I do know a few alright who need to be wit someone and get with someone as soon as a relationship ends!
    wouldn't be my cup of tea at all now!

yeah i can go years without a relationship, the fact that im not in one now is evidence in itself, some people perhaps are the relationship types, maybe they find it hard to adapt to single life, who knows, anyway my point is...are you single and hot? :P

I'm a bit of a ride to be fair :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement