Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows is not genuine?

Options
  • 24-04-2014 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

When I turn on my laptop I get a black screen but all the icons are still there and I can use the laptop as normal, but, I get this message in the lower right hand corner!
    "This copy of windows is not genuine, build 7601"
    I click on "fix the problem" and it takes me through a few stages, at the last stage it asks for a payment of 109e! I didn't proceed from there.

It also asks for "activation key" and gives me 30 days to use the A-K.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem without having to pay for it? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

If its not genuine, then nothing can be posted on Boards legally to help you I'm afraid.

If it is genuine, then your Windows key may need to be reentered and activated once again. If its a laptop, it will be on a sticker underneath the base of the laptop or on the side of the tower if you have a desktop (or with your manuals).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Has it been working fine and then Did this only start recently?
    if so it could be malware

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/genuine-microsoft-software-virus/

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭BandyMandy

It just happened recently, within the last 2 weeks I'd say.

The stickers underneath are worn away and cant be read.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I Got the same message,on new sony laptop ,bought in peats ,IT showed message after 8 months.

eg your copy of windows is not genuine .
    i backed up files, and reinstalled windows 7 ,from start menu, reinstall window s 7 utility .
    eg installed os from hardrive, hidden restore Windows os
    hard drive partition.

You can use a utility to find your license key.
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/productkeysactivation/gr/mjbkeyfinder.htm
    its free to download.

The message did not effect the normal running of windows.

After reinstall of os, message did not appear again.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭BandyMandy

Thanks, Riclad, I'll check that out later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement