Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1: Two Year Home Residency Requirement

Options
  • 24-04-2014 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm graduating from a masters in Economics this Summer. I am interested in doing the J1 visa but will also be applying for PHD programs in the states for September 2015. There is a 2 year home residency requirement on the J1 which means I would need to return home for at least 2 years before getting any other visa or residency for the states. It says it can be waived in certain instances though.

Does anyone know if this rule applies to Irish applicants (the US department website explaining the rule says it only applies in certain instances) or if it would prevent me from accepting PHD offers if I were to receive them? I've tried usit and some other sources for some info and they seem unclear on the subject.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

The 2 year home residency doesn't apply to all J1s, in general it only applies if you are in a J1 position funded by the US government. This includes Fulbrights, medical residency programs among others. It doesn't apply to the summer J1 or 1 year J1 for recent college graduates.

Advertisement