Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with used car

Options
  • 24-04-2014 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

zzantara wrote: »
    Consumer Law states that a car should be guaranteed "for a reasonable length of time",this statement is vague as to your/the garages interpretation of "a reasonable lenght of time ".
    Factors that need to be taken into account are the age of the vehicle/mileage etc/price paid/whether the garage should have known that this fault existed etc.
    For instance if the car had 80000 miles it is reasonable to expect some repairs like a clutch wheras if the car has 30000 miles it is not reasonable to have to do major repairs ?
    I work in this area and if you give me more details I will give what advice I can ?

My daughter bought a 07 diesel car three weeks ago. She had a three months engine and gearbox warranty. Last week it started to smoke severely. I noticed that the oil was above the top of the dipstick. When she brought it to the garage they saw that an intercooler pipe had been badly fitted by a previous owner and it was loose and required replacing, which they said they would do. They informed her that they were looking for a second hand one and that if they could not find one that a new one was not covered under her engine warranty. Is this true, do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've split your post out from the old thread where it was created and moved it to a new thread of its own.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Safehands wrote: »
    My daughter bought a 07 diesel car three weeks ago. She had a three months engine and gearbox warranty. Last week it started to smoke severely. I noticed that the oil was above the top of the dipstick. When she brought it to the garage they saw that an intercooler pipe had been badly fitted by a previous owner and it was loose and required replacing, which they said they would do. They informed her that they were looking for a second hand one and that if they could not find one that a new one was not covered under her engine warranty. Is this true, do you think?

Depends what the warranty says. Did she get anything in writing? If it were me, I wouldn't be accepting a second hand part though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

Depends what the warranty says. Did she get anything in writing? If it were me, I wouldn't be accepting a second hand part though.

Hi Michael, as far as I know there was no written warranty. She was told that there was a 3 month warranty on the engine and gearbox. When she brought the car back though, the mechanic told her that the intercooler pipe on it was not a proper part for that car. They said that the previous owner had put it on and it did not fit correctly. That is why it was blowing or sucking air and smoking. It seems to me that because of that, whether this part is normally considered to be part of the engine or not, it should be covered because it was not fit for purpose when they sold the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Hi Michael, as far as I know there was no written warranty. She was told that there was a 3 month warranty on the engine and gearbox. When she brought the car back though, the mechanic told her that the intercooler pipe on it was not a proper part for that car. They said that the previous owner had put it on and it did not fit correctly. That is why it was blowing or sucking air and smoking. It seems to me that because of that, whether this part is normally considered to be part of the engine or not, it should be covered because it was not fit for purpose when they sold the car.

Agreed. It was bought from a garage so it's covered by the Sale of Goods Act. I would ask for a new part and if they say no, then say it was sold with the fault and is not fit for purpose. If they have any knowledge of the business they're in, that should jog their memory of their obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Oil was overfilled and this has damaged the engine, hence the smoking.

Garage sounds like a bunch of cowboys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement