Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ian Dempsey

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Think this show is in definite need of a shake up with the supposed 2017 revamp. They won't change the presenter, but they need to change the format of the show and improve the music a bit. Give him a new sidekick (Maybe Dustin the Turkey) and get shut of that terribly annoying sports-news presenter. Give Gift Grub the boot or try it for a while with the new mid morning show, with proper investment and scriptwriters/impressionists with new caricatures and new ideas.

Figures wise there's very little wrong with the show so if it ain't broke. Dempsey is one of the most consistent performers on the station, it would be suicide of newstalk breakfast proportions to throw the baby out with the bath water and change it. I agree with the sentiment on Paul Collins, he grates, mind you so does Des Cahill doing the exact same role on RTE. I'd say Collins is an employee as opposed to a contractor so he won't be going anywhere for a long while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Collins single handedly covers off the requirement for Gaeilge though with his "i lár na páirce" and "Tiobraid Árainn".
    I very rarely listen to the radio anymore, when I do it's on the TuneIn app through ear phones and my god the amount of nasally breathing he does before each new sentence is an absolute headwreck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

heybaby wrote: »
    Figures wise there's very little wrong with the show so if it ain't broke. Dempsey is one of the most consistent performers on the station, it would be suicide of newstalk breakfast proportions to throw the baby out with the bath water and change it. I agree with the sentiment on Paul Collins, he grates, mind you so does Des Cahill doing the exact same role on RTE. I'd say Collins is an employee as opposed to a contractor so he won't be going anywhere for a long while yet.

That's why I said they won't change it. But there's no reason to think Dempsey listeners will tune out just coz the format changes. You're still going to have news, sportsnews, showbiz gossip, music, interviews and giveaways so there's not much that can be changed other than Gift Grub and the music (I always think the music is way better whenever Hector is standing in). I think a regular partnership with Dustin instead of Gift Grub would actually increase the show's listnership. I wouldn't for a second believe that Gift Grub still has that many fans. Both it and the Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show need a makeover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Dempsey is so fake happy i just can't listen to him, possibly the most smug man alive today,
    i also agree GG has had it's day about 5 years ago.
    The problem is, you have that other entity Paul Williams on Newstalk.
    Please bring back Ivan Yates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Think this show is in definite need of a shake up with the supposed 2017 revamp. They won't change the presenter, but they need to change the format of the show and improve the music a bit. Give him a new sidekick (Maybe Dustin the Turkey) and get shut of that terribly annoying sports-news presenter. Give Gift Grub the boot or try it for a while with the new mid morning show, with proper investment and scriptwriters/impressionists with new caricatures and new ideas.

No, no, a million times noooo!!!

NOTHING about Dustin is funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

His Radio show is a Christmas Jumper.
    Trys to be funny but is not
    And just embarrassing for all concerned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ah when Dustin is on with darcy and you can hear ray getting uncomfortable it's always enjoyable and funny. Well to me at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Thank you! I was starting to think I was the only person who found Dustin about as funny as being poked in the eye repeatedly with a sharp stick .

I agree with the general sentiment though. The show does need a shake-up as the format has become tired. There's too much fake laughter and false hilarity. Unless they're working on the basis that most of the people tuning in are either too busy or too tired to notice .

don't even get me started on paul collins or the cringey funny segments in the news, it's nearly as bad as dermot and dave and they should be shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

AnneFrank wrote: »
    don't even get me started on paul collins or the cringey funny segments in the news, it's nearly as bad as dermot and dave and they should be shot
    the difference is dermot and dave are actually funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I don't know how Dempsey has got away with it for so long. He's crap.

vicwatson wrote: »
    aaaah hes not. for me hes the type of dj that doesnt start to annoy me like the rest of them after listening for a few weeks. i'm not saying hes brilliant but as i say he dosent annoy me as such. he seems like a decent bloke aswell.

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    the difference is dermot and dave are actually funny.

i really hope you're joking

AnneFrank wrote: »
    i really hope you're joking

i'm really not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    i'm really not.

I'd agree I think they are very good. They come across as very likeable and seem to bounce off each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

AnneFrank wrote:

Can't stand Paul Collins. What with this forced country accent when the report is over.

If that's the way you speak then do the bloody report like that and stop trying to be someone your not!!

It's like he is trying to sound like he's great craic buts it's just embarrassing for all concerned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

I like Ian. Natural, down to earth, affable. A bit awkward at times when dealing with callers who can't string a sentence together (but they shouldn't be asking to go on air in the first place if they're that nervous) and his blather over the end of songs could be done without, but otherwise, easygoing, good-humoured stuff - not comparable with NewsTalk as it's a different type of show.

If people don't like Ian, that is of course just personal preference, but rage and hate towards him? Bit of calming down needed there.

Paul Collins though - oh dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

I've said it before and will just drop it in here again to annoy people who haven't noticed it before. Ian sings and hums over the end of EVERY ****ING SONG and it's the most annoying thing in the world.

I've said it before and will just drop it in here again to annoy people who haven't noticed it before. Ian sings and hums over the end of EVERY ****ING SONG and it's the most annoying thing in the world.

ya i know what your saying..its more of a neh neh neh neh neh thing he does on the end of songs. i'm willing to overlook it though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

The one doing the entertainment is pAthetic, she just whoops , giggles and guffaws the whole way through and seems to have a chip on her shoulder that she isn't on xpose or celebrity dancing or some other mindless airheaded crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

How this fella is in a job and Anton was given the heave ho/walked away, I will never know. This morning's 8am news was a car crash. Halfway through Iano starts playing the next song up queued. Though it did take me away from Paul Collins for a bit

Calling it "car crash" is a tad harsh tbh. He played like 5 seconds of Justin Bieber instead of an ad between news and sports. Pretty easy mistake to make, and it's not as if it's a regular occurrence like on a certain RTE show...
    vicwatson wrote: »

His listenership is stable and high. That's how he's "got away with it".

I'd like to thank you. After I switched from NT, you were the one who pointed this out to me. Now it's all I hear. I had to switch to Breakfast Republic man. What are you trying to do to us?!
    Oops69 wrote: »
    The one doing the entertainment is pAthetic, she just whoops , giggles and guffaws the whole way through and seems to have a chip on her shoulder that she isn't on xpose or celebrity dancing or some other mindless airheaded crap.

I much prefer when Shauna was filling in for the entertainment news tbh.

I've been listening to the show since about a week after Paul Williams made NT Breakfast great again. By and large, it's a show that's very easy to listen to. A bit bland and lacking in substance IMO, but maybe that's what's needed first thing in the morning? Just something to have on in the background while getting ready and heading off to work or whatever.

That said, Gift Grub is ruining the show right now. I've said it on the forum before, but I feel that since it went to 5 days a week the quality dipped. They do 2 segments a day that are Gift Grub and, IMO, it's over-saturation.

Yesterday's two bits for example were Louis Walsh shouting at Ian for 90 seconds then passing some "judgement" on a random celebrity, and then Daniel O'Donnell talking to two "fans" on the phone where the joke was basically that he was a fraud.

The premises in and of themselves had the potential to be funny, but like many Gift Grub segments these days, it came across as if Ian didn't know what was going on (he spent ages thinking of names for Louis Walsh, why didn't Mario prepare a list for him?) and there was no scripts involved (Mario seemed unsure of what approach the two "fans" were taking).

I don't understand why they don't just cut it back to 3 high quality sketches a week and make each one worth listening to, as opposed to the current 10 a week where maybe 2 are funny and the rest are just meh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I listened in for the first time in years the other day and thought Dempsey was grand tbh.

I agree with WNolan though the Gift Grub sketch they did that day was very very poor. They were doing a bit on Bertie and the guy doing it didn't even put on the accent, he just stammered a bit!

Advertisement