Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused B2 Visa in 2003

Options
  • 24-04-2014 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi Guys

I was refused a B2 visa in 2003, basically I had a girlfriend at the time who had a B2 visa which allowed her to stay in the U.S. for 6 months - we were intending to visit the U.S. and travel around and visit friends of hers but under the WVP I would only be allowed to stay for the 90 days so rather naively I applied for the B2 visa - which I was subsequently refused on the grounds that I didn't have enough ties to my home country and so on, I was 22 at the time and had only been in my current job at the time about a month!!

So my question now is how much does that refusal affect my ability to travel to the U.S on the WVP now?

At the time as far as I can remember once I was refused a visa to the U.S. that excluded me from traveling under the WVP.

However this is not the case anymore according to the embassies website:

Refused a Visa

Travelers who have been refused a visa under the provisions of Section 221(g) or 214(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act are not ineligible to apply to travel visa free visa under the Visa Waiver Program. However, they will be questioned by an immigration official at the U. S. port of entry regarding the refusal by the Embassy or Consulate.

I'm currently in Ireland in the process of applying to for a visa to return to Australia to resume working for a Buddhist Meditation Centre, which I've been involved with since 2009 and lived there for 3 years and worked full time for 2 of those 3 years.

While I'm waiting for this visa to come through I have the opportunity to do a 3 month retreat at a Meditation Centre in the U.S.

I can supply a letter from the Meditation Centre in the U.S to verify that I will do retreat at their Centre, a return ticket to Ireland, possibly a letter from the Meditation Centre in Oz confirming that I am waiting on a visa back to Australia to resume working for them and I also have a return flight to Australia.

Is this enough to satisfy U.S. immigration that I'm eligible to travel under the WVP having previously been refused a visa?

If I was refused entry at U.S. immigration in Dublin would I receive any sort of stamp in my passport?

Being refused entry to another country would have a knock on effect with my Australian visa application which is the last thing I want!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Well yes. My totally non-expert opinion is that would be enough to satisfy them.

After all you were initially refused the B2 because it wasnt the correct visa to apply for at that time, rather than you being an unsuitable type of person to allow in to the country. It was a procedural thing rather than anything to do with your character.

I agree though, I wouldnt want to be refused again. Especially if you've paid for a return ticket. Can you go to the US embassy and talk to someone?

Advertisement