Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone notice the steady price increase on everything lately?

124»

Comments

billie1b wrote: »
    I cant agree with this, as an example, local farmers market sell 250g 'Irish' strawberries €3, a small supermarket up the road, owned by Russians I think, sell the same 'Irish' strawberries, 1kg for €3.50, I know where my money will go

Are you using inverted commas in order to suggest they are not Irish?

If both are Irish produced then you are obviously right to buy them cheaper. That is a far larger price differential than you will come across normally though and stuff in farmers markets usually tends to be very good local produce with a slightly higher price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

What utter crap. Firstly, stagflation is where you have high inflation and high unemployment/stagnant growth, it has nothing to do with incomes. Secondly, inflation for 2013 was 0.5% and is expected to remain the same for this year.

So it is clear the prices on the whole are barely moving at all. Personally I think the disconnect between people's experiences and reality comes from the fact that more visible goods such as alcohol are increasing in price, but goods that people don't notice as much, like say dishwashers, are falling in price. Although the price of food is actually falling too.

I doubt very much the price of food is falling, that would be contrary to the trend worldwide.

Inflation figures in many countries omit major 'expenses' like taxes, rental increases etc. These major hits to the pocket have increased at a rapid rate.
    You need to look at how inflation is calculated. Ireland looks like it's experiencing all the effects of stagflation for the last few years, but if may not be officially classified as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭zoomaway

maninasia wrote: »
    I doubt very much the price of food is falling, that would be contrary to the trend worldwide.

Inflation figures in many countries omit major 'expenses' like taxes, rental increases etc. These major hits to the pocket have increased at a rapid rate.
    You need to look at how inflation is calculated. Ireland looks like it's experiencing all the effects of stagflation for the last few years, but if may not be officially classified as such.

I see it that way too. The thread has talked a lot about food items but as you point what about the other expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Are you using inverted commas in order to suggest they are not Irish?

If both are Irish produced then you are obviously right to buy them cheaper. That is a far larger price differential than you will come across normally though and stuff in farmers markets usually tends to be very good local produce with a slightly higher price.

No the inverted commas are because, 90% of strawberries in Ireland are from Spain. I've been at the farmers market many, many a time and seen the boxes of strawberries marked with Spain on them and being sold in the plastic containers with Ireland on it. Happens all the time

No the inverted commas are because, 90% of strawberries in Ireland are from Spain. I've been at the farmers market many, many a time and seen the boxes of strawberries marked with Spain on them and being sold in the plastic containers with Ireland on it. Happens all the time

On most correctly packaged products you can tell if its really Irish or not though with board bia sticker or the dairy council mark etc (which isn't even on NI dairy products)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭zoomaway

Never knew that. Pure chancers eh.So much for buying Irish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Here's a genuine explanation : everyone in the world wants a pay rise and resources are getting more expensive because they are getting scarcer. As most of the services and products that we are using are made abroad, we have to pay a higher price for them.

The problem we're having is that for some of us, housing is getting more expensive and that's the real barrier to our spending. I have been noticing steady price increases everywhere. I could live with them, but I would like my rent to be cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

zoomaway wrote: »
    Never knew that. Pure chancers eh.So much for buying Irish!

Same in Supermarkets, bought in from Spain, repackaged here, cause they're repackaged they can be classed as Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

maninasia wrote: »

Rents are included in CPI. Mortgage interest is included too. Taxes are included insofar as they increase the costs of goods and services. It's a price index not an income index so other taxes are irrelevant. So yes, the CPI has quite good coverage, as evidenced by it's widespread usage, and despite the difficulty of accurately capturing inflation, it is certainly better than asking someone on an internet forum what they "feel" inflation is. Food prices in the year to March 2014 have decreased. Not sure what they changed by throughout 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Crisps are over the euro mark in some cases. I remember when you could buy a decent pack of crisps for 50 cent. Freddo bars that have 20 cent written on the pack cost 50 cent in some places. Being charged for Ketchup sachets. These are dark times we're living in, dark dark times.

I remember when crisps first went over the 10p mark. Thry had the price on the pack back then.
    That was a sad day.
    It also meant that my pocket money could only get me 2 packs of tayto a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Of course there can be a differences in the raw material, the land its grown on, the weather, the grade of crop etc etc. You cant just say all corn is equal or all oats are equal etc. I have tried (in other peoples houses as I wouldn't buy them) a few cereals from Lidl/aldi their muesli and wheetabix for instance and I would not spend my money on them due to an inferior flavor.

I can't agree with that, there is no denying that many brands are superior to others and are worth paying more for, I don't see how brand loyalty is for idiots in this case. Also choosing an Irish product over one produced abroad even if it costs more is the right thing to do imo. There are a number of products I spend more on in order to choose the Irish produced version.

What I meant was when comparing like with like.
    Otherwise Homo Sapiens throughout the world have different taste buds - without being conditioned.
    Whichever firm spend the most in advertising usually get the vote. Why? Because most people are susceptible to advertising.
    Lipton's Yellow label tea is ubiquitous. Lyons/Barry's not so. The reason that the former piss sells so much? You guessed it.
    I know this is selective but it emphasizes my point.
    I mean spuds is spuds! However when mashed, garlic, milk, salt, pepper, butter and bacon fat are added ...... the whole vista changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Red Nissan wrote: »
    There is a big difference between all or most of the brands in all stores. Currently I now only buy Flavahan's deliberately because of taste.
    I've tried all brands so I wouldn't agree with you no difference.
    Only difference is price but if you want to continue paying a premium that's fine by me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

There is a big difference between all or most of the brands in all stores. Currently I now only buy Flavahan's deliberately because of taste.

this post has been brought to you by flanavans

/american superpole half time accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

MS.ing wrote: »
    this post has been brought to you by flanavans

/american superpole half time accent.

I want a Superpole of Flanavan's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

I want a Superpole of Flanavan's.

not a superbowl no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

MS.ing wrote: »
    not a superbowl no?

And I'm due a commission, yes?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

That's absolutely mental. Flavahan's is a complete rip off and more than double the price of Kavanagh's porridge yet there is little or no difference in the two.

Funny how a product is marketed can make people pay extra for essentially the same product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

Food is far too cheap by comparison these days, that's one reason why there's so much obesity in Ireland.
    There should be a food miles environmental tax slapped on food that has been transported in from far away, sometime from half way around the world, I mean it's crazy supertankering food accross the globe to a country that has fertile farmland like Irelands. Fcking bonkers.
    It would help create local jobs and foster far more fresh local produce.
    A tax should be slapped on unhealthy / processed foods.
    After all the whinging and moaning, like there was with the plastic bag levy and the smoking ban - It would turn the entire food market, national health, and Irish economy around for the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

ryan101 wrote: »
    Food is far too cheap by comparison these days, that's one reason why there's so much obesity in Ireland.
    There should be a food miles environmental tax slapped on food that has been shipped halfway around the world.
    It would help create local jobs and foster fresh local produce.
    A tax should be slapped on unhealthy / processed foods.
    After all the whinging and moaning, like there was with the plastic bag levy and the smoking ban - It would turn the entire food market, national health, and Irish economy around for the better.

I look forward to the new mango, banana, pineapple farms opening up then so ....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

I look forward to the new mango, banana, pineapple farms opening up then so ....:pac:

yeah right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Not sure what everybody is moaning about.

We are living a LOT better now than when we were 20 years ago.

"A packet of tayto cost only 10p" but your family car was a clapped out fiesta and you shared it with your neighbours/relatives.

You may have got a bag of chips for 50p, but you rented your TV, and it was a pile of dirt.

A pint was only 2 pound shure... but the furthest you ever went on holidays was to curcloe to stay in your nannies mobile home.

In general, we're living like flippin' kings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

cournioni wrote: »
    That's absolutely mental. Flavahan's is a complete rip off and more than double the price of Kavanagh's porridge yet there is little or no difference in the two.

Funny how a product is marketed can make people pay extra for essentially the same product.

Kavanaghs oats are slightly too big for my taste,especially the organic ones. Porridge is probably the only thing i'm prepared to pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

entropi wrote: »
    The Netflix increase is tiny compared with what you get out of it. The only decent things on RTE amount to the likes of wildlife shows and Nationwide and look at how much they steal want from you. Buy your chocolate as a multipack in a supermarket, much better value.

As for craft beer, its better than drinking piss...I mean its better than drinking half of the swill out there like Budweiser/Carlsberg.

Don't forget the Euro stores or the two Euro stores they call them now, but you can get top branded chocolate 5 bars for two Euro.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 38 Troy Lumberjack

Not sure what everybody is moaning about.

We are living a LOT better now than when we were 20 years ago.

"A packet of tayto cost only 10p" but your family car was a clapped out fiesta and you shared it with your neighbours/relatives.

You may have got a bag of chips for 50p, but you rented your TV, and it was a pile of dirt.

A pint was only 2 pound shure... but the furthest you ever went on holidays was to curcloe to stay in your nannies mobile home.

In general, we're living like flippin' kings.

20 years ago was 1994. I had a new Mazda 323 and went on holiday to Las Vegas. Your sack-cloth-tinted glasses are broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

No

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

Lou.m wrote: »
    I just bought two open return adult tickets from Dublin to Belfast for 110 Euro for the two of us and 160 sterling for the hotel! Free gig my arse!

Was that for the train? The bus is cheaper. Aircoach is €22 return to Belfast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Doom wrote: »
    FFS...all I see lately is fcking sneaky price increases and companies thinking that upping prices is OK, is it because the government and stupid rags we call newspapers are talking about the economy on the up and companies giving pay rises....

Adverts.ie= charging a fee.
    Netflix = price increase
    Sky= prices rose this year.
    Chocolate bars= smaller and now €1.15 at spar
    Banks= all reducing saving % and increased day to day charges.
    Beer= all of a sudden craft beers are €6 to €6.50
    Generic meds= Same price as branded ones.
    Gas and elect= all going up.
    Tesco= where do I start

Would ye all fck off.....hungry bastrads

When will enough profit be enough?...

:( more on the way,
    sky, that's them going to be cancelled.
    UPC 11%, i hear.
    Car insurance, people seeing huge increases 20% or more.
    Rents, 5% for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fuel prices, electricity and gas prices are all dropping. And these are essentials, unlike Sky or UPC. I imagine the 17% drop in petrol & diesel prices over the last couple of months will more than offset any insurance rises this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

seamus wrote: »
    Fuel prices, electricity and gas prices are all dropping. And these are essentials, unlike Sky or UPC. I imagine the 17% drop in petrol & diesel prices over the last couple of months will more than offset any insurance rises this year.

Price of heating oil recently is very decent. Gone down a good bit, would be a good time to stock up.

• Advertisement

Haven't seen decrease in Gas or Electricity yet....:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

theintern wrote: »
    Price of heating oil recently is very decent. Gone down a good bit, would be a good time to stock up.

Oil should be quite low for a while.

Advertisement