Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to start renting now for September?

Options
  • 24-04-2014 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Im due to start a postgraduate course in Dublin city center next September. I want a place to live which is of a decent standard, in a reasonably safe area, not a massive commute to the center and 120 a week max, I intend to stay for 12 months. I dont want to stay in student accommodation.

Ive heard its like trying to get a rent controlled apartment in Manhattan.

I have 2 plans of action:
    1. start looking now and waste loads of money reserving a place.
    2. stay in a hotel until mid October and hope the student hoards have receded and try then in the hopes that the fact I want it for 12 months will put me ahead of other remaining students.

Please tell me what to do and please tell me how bad the situation is.

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Are you looking to share a place or get your own pad? I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there's no way you'll get your own place in the city centre for €120 a week no matter how early you look.

If you want to be ahead of the crowd then I'd start looking in June with the plan to move in July. Leaving Cert results come out in August so that's the worst month to look. Trinity Students start their term in October (used to anyway) so October might not be the best time either.

Where will you be studying? Dublin has reasonably good transport links so placing yourself along the DART or LUAS line would be very convenient. A new city can be lonely so it might be a good idea to look into sharing a house or apartment with someone else - you could take out the lease yourself or look on DAFT for spare rooms for rent.

I would say that the fact you are a postgraduate (more mature) and willing to take a 12 month lease will stand to you when speaking with landlords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Tcd start in mid September(well fresher's week is then). But I can't see a single college having a massive effect on room demand in a city this size. OP are you going to throw away 3 months rent to reserve a place now. But not up your budget and rent in September as you are going to find a room if you up your budget.

Its hard to find a room. But it's just about speed. If you see a room email the landlord immediately and use landlords. Agencies are BS in Ireland.

Advertisement