Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglary spree in South Dublin?

Options
  • 24-04-2014 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭

The man on the evening radio news earlier tells me that there has been an explosion in housebreaking in Dalkey, Killiney, Ballybrack and Dun Laoghaire. So bad in fact, that armed Garda patrols have been deployed and that the raids are hitting everything from Council estates to 'Bono and Enya' style houses.

Leaving aside the tabloiding involved, has anyone heard of this so called epidemic? Usually you would hear something by word of mouth?

Edit: Journal.ie showing a photo of a poster put up around Stillorgan warning 'parish members' to beware of the spate of burglaries and to arm themselves with hurls and golf clubs as "the sewer rats need to be exterminated"

Crikey.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

mhge wrote: »

5 week old article. Must be some new crowd or crowds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The man on the evening radio news earlier tells me that there has been an explosion in housebreaking in Dalkey, Killiney, Ballybrack and Dun Laoghaire. So bad in fact, that armed Garda patrols have been deployed and that the raids are hitting everything from Council estates to 'Bono and Enya' style houses.

Leaving aside the tabloiding involved, has anyone heard of this so called epidemic? Usually you would hear something by word of mouth?

Edit: Journal.ie showing a photo of a poster put up around Stillorgan warning 'parish members' to beware of the spate of burglaries and to arm themselves with hurls and golf clubs as "the sewer rats need to be exterminated"

Crikey.

I love the bit about armed gardai. There was a spate of these in areas ranging from Lucan through Blanchardstown, Cabra, Finglas and on up to North Co. Dublin.

No gardai patrols, never mind armed ones !

( I know, I know. Northside bla bla. Get your jokes in )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I imagine if there was any gang involved they would target the same type of houses. I know where I live there is the same alarm on every house, even though they were built in the 1930s. One of the neighbours told us in the 90s pretty much the whole estate was burgled and people had to put in alarms.

I imagine if there was any truth to a spree they would target the same type of houses. You hardly choose to rob a council house one day and a mansion the next day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

People need to be on there guard against these pikeys. I see so many people getting them to lay driveways and cut gardens just to save some money then the next you here there is a spate of burglaries in the area. People need to wise up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

A neighbor's house was robbed the other night in the Stillorgan area, they have an alarm and a Jack Russell. I don't know the precise details and what kind of window they have, but effectively they managed to remove the front window to gain access.

They went through everything downstairs while they were asleep upstairs. They took the car and everything they could find of value. It was all very well organised, a group of 5-6 lads supposedly, be on the look out for dodgy vans late at night and in the early hours. It happened between 2 am and the following morning.

I wasn't home at the time but some guy called into my house on Friday selling furniture, we didn't know about this at the time. In light of the above it looks highly suspect to me, but it could be perfectly innocent and unrelated.

I thought the person who told me about that sign was joking!

Be vigilant(e) folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Samba wrote: »
    I wasn't home at the time but some guy called into my house on Friday selling furniture
    This is why I would like to see junk mail & cold calling made illegal, it's a disgracefully easy alibi/excuse to be on peoples property uninvited.

I got a neighbour hood watch leaflet in the door (unsolicited!) and it was making it clear it would be in no way encouraging vigilantism in any form, no patrolling or anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Worse than that, a buddy of mine with a nice car had a knock on the door recently and there were three fellas with weapons.

Nice as pie, they said "there are two ways to do this, the easy way or the hard way...give us the keys".

He just tossed them the keys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think its all over. Not just specific areas.

rubadub wrote: »
    This is why I would like to see junk mail & cold calling made illegal, it's a disgracefully easy alibi/excuse to be on peoples property uninvited.

I got a neighbour hood watch leaflet in the door (unsolicited!) and it was making it clear it would be in no way encouraging vigilantism in any form, no patrolling or anything.

Just in case anyone thinks I was serious, they're spot on to distance themselves from such actions, it's a recipe for more trouble than you'll bargain for imho. Though patrols would be no harm providing they're established to notify the gardai. My next door neighbor already does this.

I've no time or patience for cold callers either, anytime I get them and I'm here I use the same routine as telephone cold callers. Just tell them you're busy but if they like they can leave their home address, offer to call into their home unannounced to discuss whatever it is they're offering. I've yet to get a number or home address. :(

In fairness, a lot of the dodgy ones are generally easy to suss out and they always ask stupid questions that make their motives pretty obvious but I suppose people can be naive. I'll never forget one guy who asked me, is there a time I shouldn't call back in case you're not home? :eek:

+1 to entertaining any unsolicited calls for services in or around your home, it's a recipe for disaster.
    beauf wrote: »
    I think its all over. Not just specific areas.

You're probably right but from chatting to neighbors I've learnt there has been a sharp rise in recent months around my particular area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭josip

You're probably right but from chatting to neighbors I've learnt there has been a sharp rise in recent months around my particular area.

In Havanna?

josip wrote: »
    In Havanna?

Huh? :confused:

:D

Just tell them you're busy but if they like they can leave their home address, offer to call into their home unannounced to discuss whatever it is they're offering. I've yet to get a number or home address.
    You sir, are a genius! I love it.

The owner of my work often answers to these timewasters who phone up
    -are you being paid to call me
    -eh yes
    -how much are you going to pay me for my time so?
    -eh nothing
    -so you expect me to give up my time for free? seriously? you are being paid and I am an essential part of your job?

I simply have no doorbell, none when I moved in and have never got one in almost 10 years. I would remove it if I moved house and had one. No need in this day & age, anybody coming to my house will ring/text ahead, or ring when there. Or they would feel free to hammer on my door that I would here, as would a neighbour if they really had to urgently contact me if there was a fire or something.

As well as more peace I think the lack of doorbell would also put off these bogus scamsters who can simply ring a bell, get no answer and be fairly sure no one is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

You sir, are a genius! I love it.

The owner of my work often answers to these timewasters who phone up
    -are you being paid to call me
    -eh yes
    -how much are you going to pay me for my time so?
    -eh nothing
    -so you expect me to give up my time for free? seriously? you are being paid and I am an essential part of your job?

I simply have no doorbell, none when I moved in and have never got one in almost 10 years. I would remove it if I moved house and had one. No need in this day & age, anybody coming to my house will ring/text ahead, or ring when there. Or they would feel free to hammer on my door that I would here, as would a neighbour if they really had to urgently contact me if there was a fire or something.

As well as more peace I think the lack of doorbell would also put off these bogus scamsters who can simply ring a bell, get no answer and be fairly sure no one is in.

Hey, no need to be smart and rude for that matter. Yes it can be a major inconvenience at times, yes it can be a pain, but it is someone just trying to make a living. As you know jobs were mighty hard to come by of late, so give people a break. A polite "no thank you" works and offends no-one. Bogus scam callers have always been around, not sure what can be done about that. That is a separate issue.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Hey, no need to be smart and rude for that matter.
    It is not me who does it. I do not think he is being rude in the slightest, surely the person interrupting is the rude one, he is a very civil & well spoken person. Some do think rudeness is not an issue as it discourages people from taking up jobs which many think should be outlawed.

It is a legitimate query if they are going to pay him for his time, often it is survey callers, I don't think its smart, just a new way of thinking of it, which makes perfect sense, smart/clever in that sense, not smart as in a mocking smartarse. I have gotten paid to do market research a few times.

The owner views these interruptions as being a form of theft, as he is paying staff and these callers waste their time. One woman in work was too polite to just give up easy, says no, but is kept hanging on, I saw him take the phone from her and sort these nuisance callers out.
    Bogus scam callers have always been around, not sure what can be done about that.
    Simply banning door to door cold calling is a way to greatly reduce bogus scam house callers. The job should not exist, just like "chuggers" who work under the guise/cover of charities to legitimize their begging, abusing a loophole in the begging laws.

A polite "no thank you" does not work with many of these, I have heard of chugger screaming down the road after people "so you don't care about the starving babies in africa do you" -scumbags

Hey, no need to be smart and rude for that matter. Yes it can be a major inconvenience at times, yes it can be a pain, but it is someone just trying to make a living. As you know jobs were mighty hard to come by of late, so give people a break. A polite "no thank you" works and offends no-one. Bogus scam callers have always been around, not sure what can be done about that. That is a separate issue.

Like Rubadub said, it's not mocking or being smart in a condescending sense, it's merely giving them a point of view from your own perspective. Obviously there's no need to be rude about it, I'm always very civil and I've even had a few laughs about it with them once they get the picture.

No thanks, I'm busy used to be my line, that is until I had a guy who physically tried to stop me shutting the door insisting that I hear him out. Also no thank you is usually taken as, try again another time, whereas if you take the former approach they rarely bother you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I have heard of chugger screaming down the road after people "so you don't care about the starving babies in africa do you" -scumbags

HEARSAY HYSTERIA.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Hate cold callers. Having said that, like Chinasea says, a polite "no thanks" has worked every time and no one feels belittled or hacked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Chugger: Hi sir how are you today?
    Me: Actually I have incredibly itchy ball bag, can you do something about it?
    Chugger:______________ goes away!!!!

HEARSAY HYSTERIA.
    I have seen them totally invading peoples space myself, standing right in their way.

Its a very well known issue, wiki even have a section about it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_fundraising#Criticism
    Tabnabs wrote: »
    Hate cold callers. Having said that, like Chinasea says, a polite "no thanks" has worked every time and no one feels belittled or hacked off.
    People hate them, yet many of them do not realise they are hated as many are polite towards them even though they might have huge issue with them. The devious people creating these jobs know well they can use peoples politeness and good nature against them.

I remember as a kid going for a group interview for a job where they were getting kids to go door to door selling black sacks at a stupidly high price, probably hoping some auld one would take pity on the poor kids. Though I needed money there was no way I was supporting jobs like this.

Some billionaire prick could create a job employing people to eat beans and go about town farting all day, carrying blackboards which they grate their nails on. These 'employees' would be annoying the hell out of all the people they encounter and having the similar laughable excuse "I'm just doing my job", yes you are and you are an utter bastard for taking up such employment, knowing fine well the irritation you cause.

I actually have more respect for burglars than chuggers, at least they are under no feigned illusion that they are not annoying anyone. They only steal my goods rather than my time, which is precious to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I actually have more respect for burglars than chuggers, at least they are under no feigned illusion that they are not annoying anyone. They only steal my goods rather than my time, which is precious to me.

What a warped sense of reality you seem to possess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Let's say you're on 100,000 euro a year. If a chugger 'steals' half a minute of your time, that's about 44 cent. OTOH if your house is robbed, literally anything they take would cost at least a hundred, possibly a thousand, times that.

Chuggers are bad but they're not that bad!

Tabnabs wrote: »
    What a warped sense of reality you seem to possess.
    You say that like its a bad thing, I enjoy stepping back and looking at things fundamentally, being able to see them for what they really are. I am quite proud of my ability to view reality in a different way. I like when people are made actually think for a change, about what they are actually doing and question the status quo or traditions that go on unquestioned.

That is why I think the other posters idea of suggesting they come around to these peoples houses unannounced is a great idea.
    Aard wrote: »
    Let's say you're on 100,000 euro a year. If a chugger 'steals' half a minute of your time, that's about 44 cent.
    I am not just concerned about myself, I care about others too. The chuggers have far more "victims" per day than a burglar.

They cannot legally beg on the street due to begging laws, so have exposed a legal loophole allowing you to beg on the street if you do it in the name of a charity, even a tiny fraction of it. It can probably be as low as the rehab card debacle they got €10,000 from €4,000,000 in card sales, so €1 for every €400. Most people expect a higher proportion is going to go to chairty, therefore its a confidence trick, they are simply conmen, and I do have more respect for regular thieves than conmen taking advantage of peoples charity & trust. Its not just the monetary value of what they steal, be it time or possessions, its the devious nature of it.

rubadub, have you ever had your house burgled whilst you were asleep in your bed?

Gentlemen in a red van offering to "sweep driveways" in Glenageary on Friday evening. Clearly on the snoop in an area with many older residents. Refuse and report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I woke up this morning to find we had been burgled sometime in the night (went asleep around 1am and up at 6am) ........... took me a couple of minutes to take it in ........ they cut the glass out of the window in the kitchen (back of the house) and climbed in .......... they got a substantial amount of cash (which I stupidly left out), a broken cheap phone, an old mp3 player ........... what I found weird is they stole a bottle of water from the fridge and a couple of breakfast bars from my son's school lunch bag but left a tablet, ps vita and other expensive items??
    Was in the shocked stage for an hour or so then that sick-feeling stage (my wife and 3 small kids asleep upstairs with strangers downstairs!!) and now I'm at the very very angry stage!!

Would love to have caught them and taught them a serious lesson!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

nasty...

Do you mean they physically cut the glass, or popped the glass out of the frame?

Very sorry to hear that MadDog, I know how traumatic it is for families.

Do you mind giving the general area to warn others? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It is sickening to hear about these scumbags doing things like on us law-abiding citizens and they even get away with it and all.

Make sure you contact your local Garda Station for help to catch them. Stay Safe MadDog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

jameshayes wrote: »
    nasty...

Do you mean they physically cut the glass, or popped the glass out of the frame?

Sorry, they popped the glass out of the window frame

Advertisement