Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglary spree in South Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear that MadDog, I know how traumatic it is for families.

Do you mind giving the general area to warn others? Thanks.

It's the invasion of your personal space that gets to you ......... and the "what if's" when it comes to your family.

Knocklyon/Ballycullen area

It is sickening to hear about these scumbags doing things like on us law-abiding citizens and they even get away with it and all.

Make sure you contact your local Garda Station for help to catch them. Stay Safe MadDog.

Had the Guards around first thing, followed by the Scene of Crime Unit a couple of hours ago ......... they were definitely wearing gloves but they got some good solid prints off smaller items they may have touched if they were stupid enough to remove their gloves.

Installing some extra security measures today/tomorrow ........ never think it will happen to you ........ until it does!!

rubadub wrote: »
    You say that like its a bad thing, I enjoy stepping back and looking at things fundamentally, being able to see them for what they really are. I am quite proud of my ability to view reality in a different way. I like when people are made actually think for a change, about what they are actually doing and question the status quo or traditions that go on unquestioned.

That is why I think the other posters idea of suggesting they come around to these peoples houses unannounced is a great idea.

I am not just concerned about myself, I care about others too. The chuggers have far more "victims" per day than a burglar.

They cannot legally beg on the street due to begging laws, so have exposed a legal loophole allowing you to beg on the street if you do it in the name of a charity, even a tiny fraction of it. It can probably be as low as the rehab card debacle they got €10,000 from €4,000,000 in card sales, so €1 for every €400. Most people expect a higher proportion is going to go to chairty, therefore its a confidence trick, they are simply conmen, and I do have more respect for regular thieves than conmen taking advantage of peoples charity & trust. Its not just the monetary value of what they steal, be it time or possessions, its the devious nature of it.

You wouldn't class burglers as devious?? There's viewing reality in a "different" way ....... then there's simply not being in touch with reality

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

MadDog76 wrote: »
    You wouldn't class burglers as devious??
    I would, you all seem to be missing my point. I am not saying I would rather be burgled than "chugged", I said my point about respect is not about monetary value. It's more about their perception of themselves in society.
    I actually have more respect for burglars than chuggers, at least they are under no feigned illusion that they are not annoying anyone.
    Burglars are scum, no doubt, but they know they are, I doubt there are any burglars sitting around the pub chatting about the good they do, and how they are "only doing a job", or trying to convince themselves its harmless and not deceiving anybody.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Burglars are scum, no doubt, but they know they are, I doubt there are any burglars sitting around the pub chatting about the good they do, and how they are "only doing a job", or trying to convince themselves its harmless and not deceiving anybody.

"only doing a job" is exactly how many of them justify it. Ah, I can't get a job and this government keeps takin me dole money. Sure these people can afford it, aren't they insured and all.... They may not be deceiving anybody, but they can justify their actions in their own warped little minds.

• Advertisement

I would, you all seem to be missing my point. I am not saying I would rather be burgled than "chugged", I said my point about respect is not about monetary value. It's more about their perception of themselves in society.

Anybody who has ever been burgled (especially if they were home at the time) will tell you that the loss of anything with monetary value is the least upsetting thing about the experience ........... doesn't matter either way as I don't like chuggers myself ......... but having experienced both being burgled and dealing with chuggers I'd rather deal with 10 chuggers a day than ever be burgled again

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

On the original topic, there have been a large number of burglaries around Blackrock and Booterstown in recent weeks, particularly targeting elderly people. They seem carefully planned rather than opportunistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

How do you mean carefully planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Aard wrote: »
    How do you mean carefully planned?
    Specific properties targeted, alarms disconnected as soon as they enter the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tinc

Hi,
    First post on here. I just found out that a neighbour of mine was burgled on Saturday night. The guys got in through the back door and cleaned out the downstairs area while they were upstairs. Our garden backs onto theirs and our bedroom is at the back on the ground floor so pretty concerned about it! We've fortunately got an alarm and some pretty comprehensive locks on all the doors and windows, so sound better equipped than most.

I'm kicking myself because earlier on Saturday a guy rang our bell three times. I ignored it the first time as I looked through the peep hole and didn't recognise him so i thought he just had the wrong door. Then he did it again and I assumed the same thing. Finally he knocked, so I opened the upstairs window and asked him what he wanted. He asked for a tissue for his injured hand (!!!)

It might have been unrelated as it was 5-6 hrs before the burglary, but I’m sure you’ll agree it was pretty suspicious. I’m so annoyed that I didn’t call the Garda there and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

^ Area?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tinc

Sorry, Portobello/Camden Street

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Try and stick to the topic of South County Dublin burglaries in this thread guys, thanks.

Might be worth raising the alarm in the Dublin City Centre forum about Camden Street area all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Our neighbour in an apartment block in stillorgan was broken into yesterday. She said there was no sign of forced entry. On top of that, mine and SO bikes were stolen on Tuesday from outside the apartment block.

The neighbour had to bring her son to hospital in an ambulance and when she returned, the place was ransacked. It kinda makes you feel we're being watched....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

sebcity wrote: »
    Our neighbour in an apartment block in stillorgan was broken into yesterday. She said there was no sign of forced entry. On top of that, mine and SO bikes were stolen on Tuesday from outside the apartment block.

The neighbour had to bring her son to hospital in an ambulance and when she returned, the place was ransacked. It kinda makes you feel we're being watched....

People attending funerals and weddings get burgled because their whereabouts are known.

The ambulance thing is a bit much of a coincidence. There could easily be someone in the chain of communication of emergency calls passing on information about addresses that are empty because of urgent hospitalisations. Corrupt people are found working in sensitive organisations all the time so its possible. Make sure the guards are aware of the ambulance call.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The emergency services was the weak link? I thought they were implying a dodgy neighbour or maybe a "lucky" opportunist took advantage of the situation.

As for the bikes, were they all locked? That's an awful lot of locks to break through and then there's the logistics of shifting 50 bikes?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Tabnabs wrote: »

As for the bikes, were they all locked? That's an awful lot of locks to break through and then there's the logistics of shifting 50 bikes?!

I think he means SO = significant other, other half, ball and chain, missus or whatever - not 50 (fifty).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Tabnabs wrote: »
    The emergency services was the weak link? I thought they were implying a dodgy neighbour or maybe a "lucky" opportunist took advantage of the situation.

Yeah I meant significant other :)

Yes they were both locked with 2 locks but they managed to get through them.

I wouldn't blame the emergency services and the general age and demeanor of the residents of my small apartment block would have me think there is no opportunist living amongst us. It could just be that some young fella got lucky with an open gate, open apartment block door and open apartment door!

Management company are upgrading the premises on the basis of these events so we've been promised cctv, new front door locks, new codes, stronger springs etc.......so the missus is happier but it still leaves me without a bike :(

It has taught me to be more vigilant in closing the gate etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Met a lady in the park today who had her house in Corrig Avenue broken into yesterday, and friends house in Crofton Road broken into last Tuesday lunch-time. Lock everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Quite bad at Stepaside at the moment hence the campaign to get the local Garda station re-opened.

• Advertisement

Kunkka wrote: »
    Quite bad at Stepaside at the moment hence the campaign to get the local Garda station re-opened.

Because having Gardai sitting behind a desk in a station will help?

RainyDay wrote: »
    Because having Gardai sitting behind a desk in a station will help?

Well actually since the station closed crime has increased in a big way and most residents have noticed this.

https://www.facebook.com/StepasideGardaStation?fref=ts

Since that page was created yesterday it already has nearly 500 people liking it so I don't think I'm the only one who feels that the closure of the station has allowed crimes and especially burglaries to be more common in the area.

Well actually since the station closed crime has increased in a big way and most residents have noticed this.
    Is there any reliable measurement, or is this gut feel?
    https://www.facebook.com/StepasideGardaStation?fref=ts

Since that page was created yesterday it already has nearly 500 people liking it so I don't think I'm the only one who feels that the closure of the station has allowed crimes and especially burglaries to be more common in the area.

Correct, you're definitely not the only one. I see Shane Ross has found yet another bandwagon to jump on. And yes, I'm sure many other people agree with you.

I've just no idea how having Gardai stuck behind a desk in a station stamping passport forms helps stop burglaries. Maybe someone could enlighten me?

I've heard of quite a big increase in crime in the areas around Stepaside. I certainly don't think (re)opening a Garda station to serve a growing suburban and rural population is a bad thing or likely to make things worse? Car crime in the Dublin mountains is also a significant issue.

You seem to have a very unique view on what services a Garda Station offers, Rainyday, and how they function. Perhaps you've been lucky enough never to have required the Gardai to call out to the scene of a crime or accident?

But it's probably just another political ruse...

Is there any reliable measurement, or is this gut feel?

Correct, you're definitely not the only one. I see Shane Ross has found yet another bandwagon to jump on. And yes, I'm sure many other people agree with you.

I've just no idea how having Gardai stuck behind a desk in a station stamping passport forms helps stop burglaries. Maybe someone could enlighten me?

Well from a purely logically perspective I'm sure burgulars would rather to do their "work" in areas where the response time would be longer if they were spotted or caught. So it would simply act as a deterrent and did act as a deterrent if the previous crimes stats are anything to go by.

I'm no fan of Shane Ross, I agree with you that he jumps on many a bandwagon,but if it helps the area I live in I'm all for it.

Well from a purely logically perspective I'm sure burgulars would rather to do their "work" in areas where the response time would be longer if they were spotted or caught. So it would simply act as a deterrent and did act as a deterrent if the previous crimes stats are anything to go by.
    But that's the issue - keeping the station open doesn't improve the response time.

A guard sitting in a Garda car in Blackrock will get to Belarmine faster than a guard sitting behind the desk in Stepaside, because the guard behind the desk has to stay behind the desk. By keeping the station open, you are keeping 2 or 3 guards off the street and tying them to a desk in a station. How will that improve response times?

And where are these 'previous crime stats' you mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

And where are these 'previous crime stats' you mentioned?

Stats?? Sure if lots of people like a facebook page it obviously follows means that crime is going through the roof....

crime is going through the roof....

Rubbish - crime usually goes in through the patio door, or maybe the back window, but rarely in through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭josip

Rubbish - crime usually goes in through the patio door, or maybe the back window, but rarely in through the roof.

What about the overweight guy on the night of the 24th who goes around stashing goods of uncertain origin in people's houses? CAB should be alerted to his carry on. Also believed to park an unroadworthy veh-icle on the roof as well as entering and exiting via it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Four houses burgeled in the park in cabinteely in the last week or so. Neiughbours dog hit with a crowbar, survived thank god. Hope they catch the scum doing it

Advertisement