Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglary spree in South Dublin?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

beauf wrote: »
    Were they locked

As far as I know they were .......... if they want in they'll get in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Back on topic...
    I read in the Independent today that burglaries are up 15% on the last years comparable figure. The article linked this to the 16% reduction in Garda manpower levels.
    That reminded me of attending several public meetings trying to stop the closure of Stepaside Garda station last year. I remember Justice Minister (former) Shatter attended with some top gardai brass and proclaimed that these closures would absolutely reduce crimes like burglary. He said closing the stations would allow more gardai resources back onto the streets fighting crime, and not stuck behind desks. Ah well... He had an answer for every single misgiving that the locals raised. Well..here are the facts now. No answer to that. 15% rise is considerable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

MadDog76 wrote: »
    As far as I know they were .......... if they want in they'll get in

I ask because most of the time I hear of sheds or bicycles being robbed they are not locked or locked very poorly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

beauf wrote: »
    I ask because most of the time I hear of sheds or bicycles being robbed they are not locked or locked very poorly.

I've heard of a number of recent cases where high spec bikes are actively targeted. So people are being spotted, or being followed home, and then the bike(s) disappear from the shed. It's fairly hard to lock any wooden shed securely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It's certainly something to consider when buying an expensive bike. How will you secure it. Ground anchor or such. Alarm the shed.

But the stats on burglaries need to be highlighted. The closure of stations might be in connected. But something needs to be done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

If you have an expensive bike you should always leave it in the house when not using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Kingp35 wrote: »
    If you have an expensive bike you should always leave it in the house when not using it.

Nice theory, but fairly impractical in many family homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

RainyDay wrote: »
    Nice theory, but fairly impractical in many family homes.

Agreed. I have a big old bed sheet in the shed that I use for painting. I throw that over the bikes. The theory behind that is, if they just take a glimpse into the shed at night at least the bikes don't grab their attention and maybe they'll keep going.

If you leave out crumbs, you'll get rats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/in-pictures-earlymorning-raid-on-traveller-site-in-affluent-area-of-dublin-30840546.html

Holds breath waiting for "salt of the earth" defence from pavee point. Not to mention the two Gardaí lying in hospital with cracked skulls and eye sockets in east Cork after they were ambushed by some other "community" members.

Might be worth contacting Blackrock station if you have had anything taken in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Larbre34 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/in-pictures-earlymorning-raid-on-traveller-site-in-affluent-area-of-dublin-30840546.html

Holds breath waiting for "salt of the earth" defence from pavee point. Not to mention the two Gardaí lying in hospital with cracked skulls and eye sockets in east Cork after they were ambushed by some other "community" members.

Might be worth contacting Blackrock station if you have had anything taken in the last few weeks.

I'm trying to figure out where in Blackrock this halting site is....the only one I was aware of is on the Booterstown end of Blackrock Park, but the photo looks like somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

JayRoc wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out where in Blackrock this halting site is....the only one I was aware of is on the Booterstown end of Blackrock Park, but the photo looks like somewhere else?

Believe this is it:
    http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=53.297664&lon=-6.174113&z=18&m=b&permpoly=15501997&show=/15501997/Halting-Site

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Correct. You can see from the trees and path lighting in the photos of the arrests that it's backing onto Rosemount.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Yep the land was giving them to them by the church over 20 years ago. Nothing but trouble since...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I have to say that I am not surprised by this at all. They really are such an aggressive crowd living in a nice place like Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

3 Houses in our estate burgled within a week. Believe there was another attempted. Milltown/Rathgar/Dartry area.
    Believe all instanced involved a crowbar to the front doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

eladnova wrote: »
    3 Houses in our estate burgled within a week. Believe there was another attempted. Milltown/Rathgar/Dartry area.
    Believe all instanced involved a crowbar to the front doors.

What estate? Saw a fella walking about ballyogan in Christmas eve with a crowbar. Misses wouldn't let me tackle him. It was daylight and he wasn't hiding it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

ted1 wrote: »
    What estate? Saw a fella walking about ballyogan in Christmas eve with a crowbar. Misses wouldn't let me tackle him. It was daylight and he wasn't hiding it

Did you call the cops?

Did you call the cops?

Sadly no, phone was dead. He was making no effort to hide the crowbar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

You don't need to phone immediately as it happens. The information could prove useful to the gardaí at a later time/date. Christmas Eve is a while ago now, but people should always phone these things in, even if it is a couple of hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭josip

A burglar was caught in the Ballinteer area over Christmas trying to break into sheds. The family managed to hold onto them until the Gardai arrived.
    They were released by the Guards an hour later.
    24 hours later the windows in their house were broken.

josip wrote: »
    A burglar was caught in the Ballinteer area over Christmas trying to break into sheds. The family managed to hold onto them until the Gardai arrived.

Terrible, I often wonder about the same issue if it came to dealing with an intruder in your home. The bottom line is that they (literally) know where you live, so you are exposed in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Had a few problems in our street in Rathgar in the last 2 months.

- 2 houses down the road broken into.
    - My motorbike completely stripped for parts whilst parked in the driveway in broad daylight.
    - Car nextdoor had its reg plates stolen 2 days later.
    - Lad in flat downstairs had his van broke into Sat night/Sun morning
    - Nextdoor (otherside) had a visitors van broke into last week and discovered 2 lads with a fishing rod and magnet stuck through the letterbox at 6:30 this morning. They were dragging a handbag towards the door.

There have been more thefts etc in the past 2 months than than in all the other 13 years I have lived here combined.

Spent this evening writing down all the serial numbers of "stuff" should I be the next victim.. Might get it back if it is recovered..

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

dubscottie wrote: »
    Had a few problems in our street in Rathgar in the last 2 months.

- 2 houses down the road broken into.
    - My motorbike completely stripped for parts whilst parked in the driveway in broad daylight.
    - Car nextdoor had its reg plates stolen 2 days later.
    - Lad in flat downstairs had his van broke into Sat night/Sun morning
    - Nextdoor (otherside) had a visitors van broke into last week and discovered 2 lads with a fishing rod and magnet stuck through the letterbox at 6:30 this morning. They were dragging a handbag towards the door.

There have been more thefts etc in the past 2 months than than in all the other 13 years I have lived here combined.

Spent this evening writing down all the serial numbers of "stuff" should I be the next victim.. Might get it back if it is recovered..
    That's unreal. What did the guards say? We had some breakins (rathgar too) and I thought the Rathmines police were very good in following up etc. even noticed a few patrols. In our case, the feeling was this was pre Xmas present grabbing. Your spree sounds ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭m_hunter

josip wrote: »

This is terrible...

Did Gardai do any thing? Why they are released?!

m_hunter wrote: »
    This is terrible...

Did Gardai do any thing? Why they are released?!

Because they can't hold them. They bring them, then they must decide if there's enough evidence to charge them. Let them go and set a court date.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

As they say, there is no 'f' in justice.

Advertisement