Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue websites

• 24-04-2014 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

Heartbreaking some of the stories that appear on rescue websites [mod edit]. How can people be so cruel? Is there ever any justice?? The people that run it seem to be doing excellent work though. Fair play to them.

I love animals, and have always had dogs at home. Unfortunately I live away from home and work during the day, as does my partner. Is there ever hope of getting a dog? How do people manage with working during the day & pets? I leave the house at 8am, back at 5pm but I couldn't leave a dog alone that length. How do others do it? Or am I just not able to have a dog? :(

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi Purplecow1977,
    Welcome to the forum :-)
    As discussion of individual rescue groups is not allowed, I have edited your post to make it a more generic discussion, and so that your specific questions about owning a dog can be discussed.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

DBB wrote: »
    Hi Purplecow1977,
    Welcome to the forum :-)
    As discussion of individual rescue groups is not allowed, I have edited your post to make it a more generic discussion, and so that your specific questions about owning a dog can be discussed.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Thank you, I didn't realise it wasn't allowed but I did want to change the title to something more general & didn't know how. Thank you!

Anyone have any advice? Its awful to think Id never get to have a dog as a pet.

Do you have any friends, relatives or neighbours who might mind or check in with your dog while you're at work? Or do you have a local dog walker or small doggy daycare nearby that your dog could go maybe even a couple of days a week?
    Maybe an older, calmer dog would suit, or perhaps even better, an established pair of dogs? So many rescues have closely-bonded pairs of dogs that don't stand much chance of being kept together.... If you were to go for this, stick in a dog flap and the odd check-in by a neighbour, you just might be able to do this and do it just fine :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

We both work and it's not ideal, however we have 2 dogs for company, they are walked e very morning before work, and every evening after, with long walks at the weekend. We try to never have us both out on a week night. They have a fully enclosed, safe garden, with kennels, water, food, toys etc. When we are home they are in with us normally lieing on a knee and sleep they inside.
    We both work close by so if we're worried and want to check on them or need to take them to the vet we can do so at lunch time. We check with the neighbours regularly who tell us they are fine during the day, not too much noise. I've even snuck home to check them and they've been sleeping.
    Still I worry, are they anxious, could they be stolen, are they happy? However I know they are well exercised, well fed,
    and generally well balanced dogs. We do our best and certainly do a lot better than an awful lots of people out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

We have a jack Russell and both myself and my OH work full time. We take different days off so he only has 3/4 days alone. We also work different shifts. Early late etc. Our dog is in a secure enclosed garden with cctv so I can check on him at work via my smartphone. We also have a relative that comes to the house twice daily for fresh water and doggy playtime. I still feel gulity leaving him and worry about him all day. Especially with the amount of dog thefts. Saying that he is a happy dog. Walked nightly and sleeps upstairs with us. I'm looking at adopting a 2nd jack from a rescue centre but am worried they will say no when we both work full time

I think I'll have to resign myself to the fact that there will be no doggie here. Just a few points that were raised:
    Myself & my OH work similar hours and it wouldn't be possible to take any days off during the week
    Both our families are at least 2 hours drive away and we don't know many people in the area, certainly not enough to ask them to have a check on the pet!
    In an estate, I wouldn't be comfortable leaving the dog in the back garden in case he/she would be stolen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

HI Purplecow,
    I know its not the same & its great that you have put so much thought into getting a dog.
    I am involved in a local dog rescue,most rescues are always looking for people to foster dogs for a few days/long weekends, & to take them out of the rescues for walks at the weekend,maybe that's something for you to think about until such time your circumstances change.

That is a possibility coath, thanks.
    Such a pity, but I guess that's life!

Hi Purplecow,
    I was in a very similar situation to yourself,I worked overseas in the week,OH worked long hours..we walked dogs & fundraised for various rescues.Fastforward a few years,I now work part-time & have 2 rescue Jack Russells ,still do my fundraising for the local rescues,the odd bit of fostering for them.....so you never know whats around the corner

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

A few years ago was in similar situation. St Vincent De Paul aid they'd help me find an elderly person who lived alone on my area. The idea was I'd drop the dog there before work and collect or afterwards. The elderly person had someone calling in to check on them twice a day, the dogs company plus any shopping they might want ( minus the expense/commitment of owning one). I ended up getting 2 dogs so never followed up on it. I'd have had to get Garda checks and do a 1 day course to become a member of the society but they seemed to think it was a good idea. Terry them or any other elderly groups in your area. I know when I'm too old to walk a dog, I would love to have one to mind for 9 hours a day!

seefin wrote: »
    A few years ago was in similar situation. St Vincent De Paul aid they'd help me find an elderly person who lived alone on my area. The idea was I'd drop the dog there before work and collect or afterwards. The elderly person had someone calling in to check on them twice a day, the dogs company plus any shopping they might want ( minus the expense/commitment of owning one). I ended up getting 2 dogs so never followed up on it. I'd have had to get Garda checks and do a 1 day course to become a member of the society but they seemed to think it was a good idea. Terry them or any other elderly groups in your area. I know when I'm too old to walk a dog, I would love to have one to mind for 9 hours a day!

I think that's a great idea,what part of the country did SVDP offer this service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

coathanger wrote: »
    I think that's a great idea,what part of the country did SVDP offer this service?
    In Cork City but try them or similar organisation in your area. It's a win win situation so only reason they might turn you down is If they didn't want the hassle of coordinating . hopefully you'll meet someone who' s open to new ideas.

coathanger wrote: »

Certainly in theory, it sounds like a great idea! I suppose there are logistics that'd need to be sorted out, and it's not every dog you could leave with an older person, but there's definite potential here!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

As an 'older person' can I just encourage anyone who has to leave their dog at home while they go to work to have a chat with their retired neighbours. Many mature people with new found time on their hands would be delighted to have a dog to make them go for a walk but not to have the responsibility of a full time pet. I know of a few cases where a dog has a great life between two loving homes.

Advertisement