Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to education

Options
  • 24-04-2014 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Is it unwise or ambitious for an adult in full time employment to return to full time education?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

its never too late

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Johnwayne98

endasmail wrote: »
    its never too late

I think I got in to a rut and am in the same career for the last 20 years and I want to complete my Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I think I got in to a rut and am in the same career for the last 20 years and I want to complete my Leaving Cert.

You don't have to leave work to do that! Talk to the adult education guidance counsellor in your local vec/etb. Where are you based?

endacl wrote: »
    You don't have to leave work to do that! Talk to the adult education guidance counsellor in your local vec/etb. Where are you based?

I'm based in limk city

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Been there, Left a full time job in August 2010 sitting my final exams in UL for my degree in one week, thoroughly enjoyable time and well worth it. Now I can do something that I like doing and get paid. btw never sat my leaving cert went straight on to a degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Is it unwise or ambitious for an adult in full time employment to return to full time education?

Not at all mad ! Have you a number of courses in mind.
    I think its great that anyone will think of doing further education

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

monflat wrote: »

I hope to do a teaching course it's something I've always wanted to do and if I don't make that leap this year ,i never will.

monflat wrote: »

I hope to do a teaching course it's something I've always wanted to do and if I don't make that leap this year ,i never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

start putting things in place now,
    applications for colleges and the like

if you think about to much you will talk yourself out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Here you go. Get out to Newcastle West for a chat. Best of luck with it.

http://www.limerickvec.ie/en/index.cfm/do/AdultGuidance/

Thank you very much for looking up that information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Quick question. I plan on going to college next year (2015) as a mature student. I know I have to apply by February that year. I'm in New Zealand at the moment and will be home in October this year. Will the fact I was out of the country nearly a year affect me getting help with back to education expenses. Cheers guys.
    I don't think it will affect it at all.If you qualify for the course as a mature student then perhaps depending on how far you will be living from your chosen college, you should be entitled to financial assistance.

Thank you very much,thats very kind of you to go and look up the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Quick question. I plan on going to college next year (2015) as a mature student. I know I have to apply by February that year. I'm in New Zealand at the moment and will be home in October this year. Will the fact I was out of the country nearly a year affect me getting help with back to education expenses. Cheers guys.

For the Back to Education allowance you need to be getting a social welfare payment for 9 months before the course starts. That 9 months can be broken up but the gap should be no more than a year and I think you would need to be signing on or paying PRSI.

Loads of info here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

I think there is a grant that you can go for if BTEA doesn't suit. Should be info on it here, http://www.studentfinance.ie/

Best of luck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Check and double check the qualification you will get will allow you to be registered to teach.
    Have a realistic view of the job prospects, even in a good few years from now.

Thats very sound advice thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭MadamX

Why not go straight to third level? It's possible as a mature student even if you don't have a leaving cert. If it's secondary teaching you're interested in consider doing your primary degree through Oscail
    http://www.dcu.ie/oscail/index.shtml. You can take it as slowly as you like or complete in 3 years. It's more costly overall than the traditional route but gives you the luxury of taking your time if that's what you want. And no, it's never too late. I'm seven years into a degree with Oscail, planning on doing it over 12 years, one module per year, and will be nearly 60 by the time I'm done but loving it :)

Im living in the wesht of irl, can I study online or do I need to attend dcu full time?

Im living in the wesht of irl, can I study online or do I need to attend dcu full time?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭MadamX

There are about 5 tutorials per year for most modules but they're not compulsory. I know students who are studying with Oscail from as far away as China. Some of the level 6 modules have one or two mandatory tutorials. Most but not all modules have an end of year exam. More and more tutorials are being offered online so you're not necessarily going to have to travel to DCU if you do want to benefit from the tutorials. Until recent years there was the options of doing tutorials in Galway, Cork, not sure where else but they're migrating more towards online so this option may still be available but I think they may be phasing this out. Give Oscail a ring, they'll be able to answer any questions. Or I'll try answering them if I can.

Advertisement