Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was "warned" for making an obvious joke

Options
  • 25-04-2014 1:37am
    Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭

A moderator, Steve, just warned me for joking that "adverts ultimate goal was to make a new currency (which I dubbed "Adverts Fun Bucks™") to take on the Euro".

The reason for the warning?

I was making a "baseless accusation".

Do we need get out a dictionary and define the word "accusation"?

So.

I'd like to register a complaint against "Steve".

This is quite obviously a retaliation for my vocal complaints against the new Adverts policy. And it's obviously an abuse of what little power he has.

I refuse to accept that an incredibly absurd joke could be seen as a "accusation".

However, if you read the thread you'll note I did call him out for his hypocrisy - a post he publicly ignored.

So.

Do what's right.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

I DM'd Steve to ask I was - in fact - being warned for making a joke.

His one word response?:

"Yes"

So I wasn't warned for accusing Adverts, so that's bull****. I was warned for making a joke.

Mods???

Though he deleted it, here's my joke:

gMdvMX9.jpg

Here's him admitting that he warned me for making a joke:

AX6Ojll.jpg

And now I've been banned from the forum for warning other users not to make jokes.

But sure, no abuse of power here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moderator post:

Hello MilanPan!c.

Please note that I have brought your thread to the attention of the relevant Boards.ie Ltd Staff members who are tasked with overseeing complaints where the original Moderator has upheld their original decision.

When the matter has been thoroughly investigated, you can expect an update.

Regards,

-Shield.

Shield wrote: »
    Moderator post:

Hello MilanPan!c.

Please note that I have brought your thread to the attention of the relevant Boards.ie Ltd Staff members who are tasked with overseeing complaints where the original Moderator has upheld their original decision.

When the matter has been thoroughly investigated, you can expect an update.

Regards,

-Shield.

Thanks Shield... I was wondering what was happening with this...

If silly jokes are now punishable, and if Mods are able to say you're being punished for one reason, officially, while telling you a completely different reason to your face, well... it's quite different to what I've read in the rules, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

OK, I've read through this and I was keeping a close eye on the thread in question.

It was a serious thread that a lot of people needed serious answers on and you were making jokes. I wouldn't normally say that was an issue except that it was a fast moving thread with a lot of annoyed people (and to be perfectly honest, I agree that they had every right to be). So Steve issued a warning to try and keep things on topic and vaguely moving in the same direction. He warned you for posting your "joke" and when you ignored this and argued it on thread, you fall into "arguing moderation decisions on thread" which has been a very long standing Boards.ie rule and shouldn't come as a shock to someone who's been here going on 7 years.

So I'll tell you what, I'll reverse the ban if you understand and accept your part in this (arguing mod decisions on thread) and we'll call it case closed.

Dav wrote: »
    OK, I've read through this and I was keeping a close eye on the thread in question.

It was a serious thread that a lot of people needed serious answers on and you were making jokes. I wouldn't normally say that was an issue except that it was a fast moving thread with a lot of annoyed people (and to be perfectly honest, I agree that they had every right to be). So Steve issued a warning to try and keep things on topic and vaguely moving in the same direction. He warned you for posting your "joke" and when you ignored this and argued it on thread, you fall into "arguing moderation decisions on thread" which has been a very long standing Boards.ie rule and shouldn't come as a shock to someone who's been here going on 7 years.

So I'll tell you what, I'll reverse the ban if you understand and accept your part in this (arguing mod decisions on thread) and we'll call it case closed.

Wait, just so we're clear.... he never warned me for posting a joke... he warned me for making the baseless accusation that Adverts was trying to make a currency to compete with the Euro...

He then - after being questioned directly - admitted that was not true, and that he just didn't like my joke.

The other person involved was warned, for a baseless accusation as well... and was NEVER told it was for a joke... we've talked, so i know that to be the case.

Even if I accept the fact that Mods can now warn people officially for telling jokes, how can we know WHAT jokes are ok? Are knock knock jokes in the auto forum a ban-able offence?

I know it suits everyone to just pretend this was just a big misunderstanding, but ... if we do that it's accepting that mods can police jokes and that someone like me just has to deal with it...

Certainly that not ACTUALLY the best way forward?

Either there's rules, or there's not...

Reverse the ban, reverse the warning, and tell Steve that he can't punish jokes...

Oh and reinstate my posts on the thread. There was no reason to delete them as the same exact joke is being repeated on multiple sub-forums. I saw it posted just a few minutes ago. So.

Tell Steve the rules

Reverse the ban - which was based on a warning based on a completely fabricated reason.

And also take away the warning from the other person he warned.

Remember he did this to two people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

OK, you either have no idea what you've done wrong and/or you have no desire to actually resolve this, so I'm not going to spend any more time on it.

Ban and card stands.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement