Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helicopter over Wellpark area?

Options
  • 25-04-2014 4:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Anyone know what the deal is with this? I can deal with some kind of medical helicopter but this guy sounds like he's just been circling overhead for the last 20 mins as opposed to actually going anywhere. Still belting away as I post this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭aliaslinden

Delaine wrote: »
    Anyone know what the deal is with this? I can deal with some kind of medical helicopter but this guy sounds like he's just been circling overhead for the last 20 mins as opposed to actually going anywhere. Still belting away as I post this.

Think it's hovering near the Sparch where the Corrib enters the sea. So it has to be Coast Guard on search and rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Somebody else in the water by the sounds of things. It's the search helicopter alright. I've heard it enough times this year to know. It sounds a bit more up river to me but the sound from it hovering resonates all over town so it's hard to know.
    It's been almost an hour now so not looking good. Hopefully it's another false alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

I love how you can deal with a medical emergency, how do you feel about the family and friends of the missing person and the emergency crews who spent hours searching this morning, its only a little piece out of your life but for others its a lifetime. Be damn glad that we have such wonderful Coastguard and rescue services available when required, I am sure they are sorry to have woken you up from your sleep, what about them having to wake up and search in all weathers for missing people.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skittlemon

He was up there just hovering around for the craic. His best case scenario is risking his life lowering down one of his buddies to pull someone out of the water, his worst case scenario is fishing out a body. Did you lose two or three hours sleep? Best/Worst case scenario....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Another helicopter/ghoul thread. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

You wouldn't want to live in Dublin if you are bothered by helicopter noise. I was regularly woken up by the Garda helicopter hovering overhead shining a searchlight.

People complaining about noisy aircraft even if they're on a vital mission is nothing new. I read about an British base commander getting complaints from neighbours about all the noise. Not surprising you might think. Only this was during WW2 around D day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Aerohead wrote: »
    what about them having to wake up and search in all weathers for missing people.:mad:

In regard to the Helicopter, these are manned by dedicated trained professionals to above military standards, I would not give them a second though, it's their job, they love doing it and are paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Another helicopter/ghoul thread. Well done.

You might think it's ghoulish but there are real people at the heart of these incidents, we'd do well to remember that.

http://galwaybayfm.ie/body-man-missing-salthill-found-washed-bundoran/
    Galway Bay fm newsroom – The body of a Mayo man reported missing in Galway City a month ago has been found washed up on a shore in Bundoran.

58 year old John Stenson from Ballinvalla, Turlough Road in Castlebar went missing while walking on Salthill Promenade on March 24th.

His family has extended thanks to those who helped in the month-long search along the Galway coastline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

antoobrien wrote: »
    You might think it's ghoulish but there are real people at the heart of these incidents, we'd do well to remember that.

http://galwaybayfm.ie/body-man-missing-salthill-found-washed-bundoran/

"His family has extended thanks to those who helped in the month-long search along the Galway coastline."

Ok so how many searches have the other ghouls on here helped out with this or any other searches (and they are quite regular)? I have been on several. How many of the people that show feigned concern on these ghoulish threads actually help out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I hear and see them both day and night going into UCHG, noise never bothers me, I always think about who they have on board and say a small prayer for them that they will pull through, they are not around for fun so next time you are woken up think about what they are doing or who they have on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Skittlemon wrote: »
    He was up there just hovering around for the craic. His best case scenario is risking his life lowering down one of his buddies to pull someone out of the water, his worst case scenario is fishing out a body. Did you lose two or three hours sleep? Best/Worst case scenario....

Ahh, no worst case it's the garda helicopter searching for some criminal scumbags. Those ones make me, and the OP cross. Rescue and recovery trips we can deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Just a small sample from some of the Coastguard tasking yesterday and today , taken from Coastguard facebook

Yesterdays evenings Incidents

Howth Coast Guard got tasked to a male faller down the cliff at the Baily lighthouse. Dublin CG heli R116 and Howth Lifeboat also tasked. Howth Coast Guard team attended the male at the base of the cliff and ...confirmed that the person was in need of urgent medical attention. R116 unable to get under the lighthouse to winch due to fog. Teams stretchered the casualty into the lifeboat who transported him to Howth Harbour and R116 stand-by to land at Howth for medevac. Casualty further treated by Dublin Fire Brigade paramedics at RNLI station and awaited Advanced Paramedic arrival. Unfortunately he was confirmed deceased by Advanced Paramedics at the harbour RIP.

US military aircraft declared and emergency west of Loop Head. CG heli to standby. Aircraft landed safely.

EMSA satellite reports of possible pollution principally in UK area. HMCG checking out.

FV Shirley Ann aground south of Cardy Rocks. Skerries lifeboat tasked who recovered the crew from the vessel (see earlier RNLI link) in fog.

Possible person in the water near Spanish arch. Sligo CG heli R118 and Galway lifeboat tasked. Searches found nothing.
    RTB.

Cardiac patient in Dingle medevaced by Shannon CG heli Rescue 115 to Limerick Hospital. Sligo CG heli R118 tasked to medevac of cardiac patient. Landed Letterkenny but RTB as casualty deceased.

Howth CG and lifeboat tasked to search for missing child. stood down when parents confirmed safe and well.

Aran isl lifeboat medevac from Kilronan to mainland.

Reports of a body on the beach near Tramore. Waterford CG heli R117 nearby on exercise confirm it as a dead seal.

tow ins: Waterford Marine SAR yacht broken down

Link: https://www.facebook.com/IrishCoastGuard

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Delaine

By Jesus lads no need to have a go at me, a search and rescue copter didn't even cross my mind. I'm new to living so near the coast so steady on I was only asking what the story was. Thanks to those who simply answered my question, sound job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Last nights search was for a missing man who was found. Don't forget they carry out search and rescue on land and not just water.

Advertisement