Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs in the mines

Options
  • 25-04-2014 4:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey all, I'm thinking of getting a job in the mines, to see what it's like and if the money is as good as everyone is saying. I'm willing to work anywhere in Australia in the mining sector. I'm a quantity surveyor by profession, the thing is, where do I fin a job.? I've been looking on seek and indeed but there seems to be feck all on this for qs work in the mines. Does anyone know of any recruiters or other site that I could apply to.? Or any advise on what life is like in the mines.?

Appreciate any feed back folks.!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Look on company sites like BHP, Rio tinto, FMG and other miners, I remember them advertising directly before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I know my company a little while ago were looking for QS. The ads seem to be taken down now. There is a big ramp up happening in work in the next month or two.

Money wise its better in WA but harder to get work if you aren't Perth based. Work in QLD is easier if you are Brisbane based. I'm in Sydney and have found it initially harder to get work sometimes.

The company I'm with have been awarded phase 2 of the project but the main client wants cost reductions so we've lost some money. All the guys on wages have been dropped from 3:1 rosters to a 2:2 (losing about $60K a year). As a QS you'd be on Salary. Salary guys like you or me (I'm an Engineering Surveyor) have lost about 15%, interstate flights and still on a 3:1 roster. It's a bit of a bummer but there isn't a whole lot else at the minute.

If you aren't a graduate and have a few years experience, I'd expect you'd be on $130K base salary plus a 15% uplift for the project and 9.5% odd for superannuation (about $150K a year plus super). That works out about $1970 per week after tax (on salary you get paid every week, even your week off).

One of the Irish QS guys I work with has said he never sees the outside of his prefab office and is going slightly nuts.

Advertisement