Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice sought for Accommodation & Eating Places Salthill

Options
  • 25-04-2014 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I'm looking for advice on a fairly decent reasonably priced B & B in Salthill, as close to the Galway Bay Hotel as possible. I'm not familiar with the city, & I'm meeting up with American friends next week. They also want me to recommend someplace 'awesome' to eat & drink. Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I've heard good things about Black Cat, might be fun to share tapas with your friends. Oslo might not have the best atmosphere but their selection of beers is one of the best and there is no other word for their steak sandwich other than 'awesome'. Good place for foodie pub grub.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Marless House is a lovely B&B and very friendly. It's just off the prom, so about 5 minutes walk form the Galway Bay door.

http://marlesshouse.com/

Loads of lovely places to eat in Salthill.
    Black Cat would be my #1 for lunch and coffee.
    Oslo do fantastic pub grub and craft beers.
    Gourmet tart for desserts (and really nice dinners too).
    For Carvery you can't go far wrong with the Galleon.
    Galway Bay Fish and Chips do a lovely take away.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Regardless of where you eat & sleep, you'll have to stop off in O' Connors Pub. The Americans seem to love the place!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

GastroBoy wrote: »
    Regardless of where you eat & sleep, you'll have to stop off in O' Connors Pub. The Americans seem to love the place!! :)

tacky and all as it is everyone seem to love it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Notch000 wrote: »
    tacky and all as it is everyone seem to love it

What, you mean that not all Irish pubs look like that? I' shocked ...:D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Black cat is one of my favourite places for food in Salthill, book ahead if planning to eat on the weekend as it's small and fills up fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Marchef

Gourmet tart company for meal or coffee and a bun. Nice Italian also, think it's called "de robertos". The cottage bar has good food and menu is interesting. They have nice selection of beers and lovely atmosphere ( no tv)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

+ 2 on the black cat and oconnors.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭black_magic

Da Roberto's is the worst Italian's I have eaten in. I ordered a chicken pasta bake. Got a roasting hot bowl full of soggy Penne pasta in a white flavourless sauce. Found about 3 pieces of chicken and a couple of brocolli florets hidden in the soggy mess. All for only 14 or 15 euro! I'm just thinking how many sacks of pasta I could buy for that..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Da Roberta's seems to be very inconsistent. It's quite a few years since I've eaten there, but listening to folks around who have, I hear such mixed reports. Some people seem to love it, others not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Eeden wrote: »
    Da Roberta's seems to be very inconsistent. It's quite a few years since I've eaten there, but listening to folks around who have, I hear such mixed reports. Some people seem to love it, others not so much.

Your right DeRoberta's is hit and miss.

Lohans isnt bad for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

<This thread is not an opportunity for you bring up issues you have had with a restaurant. See point 8
    If you like you can use the Consumer Issues forum to address what shortcomings you think an establishment has.>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I'm looking for advice on a fairly decent reasonably priced B & B in Salthill, as close to the Galway Bay Hotel as possible. I'm not familiar with the city, & I'm meeting up with American friends next week. They also want me to recommend someplace 'awesome' to eat & drink. Help!

Might be worth considering renting an apartment. My parents visit Salthill and stay in an apartment overlooking the Prom for less than a B&B usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Da Robertas used to be very good but not anymore, not sure why.

Black Cat or Oslo could be good options. The Chinese above the Aquarium is excellent too.

And Supermacs late at night!

Advertisement