Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRO Anywhere Blackout Blind = Cracked Window

Options
  • 25-04-2014 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

We had a problem with our 7 month old waking up at 5am so decided it might be the early brightness waking him.
    We got a blackout blind from Smyths and just put it up at night to see if it worked. It did work but we have now noticed it has caused a huge crack in a double glazing window!!
    Google brings up other people who had the same problem.
    The paperwork with it states they are not responsible for any damaged caused to windows.

Has this happened to anyone before and if so did you get it resolved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

That's awful!
    Try ringing the national consumer advice bureau www.consumerhelp.ie. although the packaging says they don't accept liability, since your consumer rights I'm Ireland lie with the retailer you might have some comeback. They're really helpful and give great advice. They tell you what you can quote when complaining etc. hopefully you can get some compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Moved from Parenting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

its on their website

....The Gro Company will not be held responsible for any glass breakage resulting from use of the Gro Anywhere Blind. The blind can be safely applied to normal single or double glazed windows in good condition...

Problem is can you show that your window was in perfect nick before you put the blind on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Totally understand what your saying, well its with the retailer at the moment so will see what they say.
    its on their website

....The Gro Company will not be held responsible for any glass breakage resulting from use of the Gro Anywhere Blind. The blind can be safely applied to normal single or double glazed windows in good condition...

Problem is can you show that your window was in perfect nick before you put the blind on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

good luck! although I cant for the life of me work out how it would break the window....but im not a glass expert I guess :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

It's caused by thermal stress on the window. In particular where there is already a flaw in the window.

Call today from the retailer that they will refund the price of the blind and the supplier will be in touch about getting the window replaced.

Will let you know if and when its completed but they are dealing with it in a very professional manner i must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

The cynic in me says if the supplier doesn't replace the window, the shop will claim it has nothing to do with them as they did their bit by giving a full refund on the blind. But I could be wrong of course :rolleyes:

To be fair to all I am coming back with an update.

The supplier has not conceded liability but has agreed to offer a goodwill gesture that will cover the cost of replacing the window. This is all we wanted at the end of the day and we weren't on a crusade.

Over all very happy customers .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

brightkane wrote: »

The supplier has not conceded liability but has agreed to offer a goodwill gesture that will cover the cost of replacing the window. This is all we wanted at the end of the day and we weren't on a crusade.

Nice one! That's the perfect outcome .

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

brightkane wrote: »

For future reference, anything black placed against a double glazed window that gets the sun, can cause it to crack. In my case it was a teddy bear sitting on the windowsill!

Advertisement