Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Retrofitting Seats on a classic Commercial Vehicle.

Options
  • 25-04-2014 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

As the title suggests, I'm looking at changing my classic (30+ yo) commercial to passenger status.
    It's an original Irish vehicle, All the hard points are in place for rear seats, they just need to be fitted, but how do I go about changing the status of my vehicle from commercial to passenger?

I want to do it properly , so there can be no insurance problems if the unthinkable happened.

The tax office only had advice on when the car is less than 30 years old. They suggested I'd have to pay additional VRT seeing as the car's original VRT was less, ie based on commercial rates! .. Surely not, 30 odd years later!!!?

I've tried ringing the Vro in Rosslare a few times but gave up after 30 mins holding.

Has anyone done the above?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I think you have your answer...no one knows, just do it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

If the Revenue are not answering the phone (Vehicle Conversion Section of the Revenue Commissioners in Rosslare - Telephone: 053 - 9161200)

Then write to them (Revenue Commissioners, Central Vehicle Office, Rosslare Harbour, Co. Wexford) outlining the change, stress the age of the vehicle and tell them that you wish to change the taxation class from Goods to Vintage/Veteran.

Snail mail is best, as you also have an official bit of paper to wave at someone in the Motor Tax office with an official answer on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Form rf111, hand it in over the counter in the tax office, I did this recently changed the body style and colour.
    The vehicle is still vintage for the tax code, so she just added the word 'other' to the description.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Broadsider

Thanks for the posts guys.
    The most important bit for me is the peace of mind knowing all has been done above board and the kids are safe and insured. I don't want to do the Nike approach!! 'just do it'
    There seems to be a difference between how they deal with normal and vintage vehicles. I just don't want to ask any questions that I might not like the answer to
    That's why I was hoping one of you guys would have had past experience of having done the conversion!!
    I'll definitely look up the form though, thanks for that.

Advertisement