Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card?

Options
  • 25-04-2014 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I am going to be getting a new graphics card for my desktop and just curious is the any recommendations now I don't wanna be spending anything like €300 for it just want something middle class.

And will I need to upgrade anything else or will my computer read it no problem.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

what's the specs on your PC? power supply? Are you upgrading from an older card, or do you just run on the motherboard graphics now? If you don't already have a card you need to make sure you have an empty PCIE slot for any graphics card.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Im interested too in a new one, i have a 1GB Radeon HD 4890 DDR 5 installed at moment,4GB Ram,Intel core 2 quad q9550,corsair 650W PSU

Can anyone recommend a budget upgrade? do i need to get a 2gb DDR5 card to see an improvement,speed etc?? I really only play FSX on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paulnewman408

Luck100 wrote: »
    what's the specs on your PC? power supply? Are you upgrading from an older card, or do you just run on the motherboard graphics now? If you don't already have a card you need to make sure you have an empty PCIE slot for any graphics card.

I have a card in it and just want to upgrade it. The desktop has 4gb ram and not fully sure on the rest of the specs but it is not a custom built one

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Here's a comparison of the cards in the 100 to 200 euro range:
    http://kotaku.com/battle-of-the-150-video-cards-geforce-gtx-750-ti-vs-1525383934

Some of those are outdated, so I'd only consider the following (from cheapest/weakest to best):

Nvidia gtx 750ti is on the low end of the price range, and the only card which doesn't required an extra power connector.
    R7 265, R7 270, and R7 270x are the current AMD cards in that range.
    Nvidia gtx 760 is the strongest in that group, sells for around 200 euros.

Not sure which one is best choice for you. You can definitely run the 750ti, the other cards require stronger/better PSU so depends on what you have. If you CPU is very weak then also no point in going for the stronger GPU like the 760 as you will be CPU limited anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

I agree. Get a GTX 760. It'll do you well

• Advertisement
Advertisement