Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run run run run run run run....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Monday 23/02 (AM) - 5 miles @ 7:56 min/mile

Missed my flight home from Newcastle on Sunday, long story. Well no it's quite a short story, there were rail works on the metro line and I had to get a bus which took super long and I missed it. The point of this story is that I did this run around a freezing and blustery Gateshead before wasting an afternoon in Newcastle drinking coffee and watching Prison Break and then finally flying home. Conditions were horrific coming into Cork, most terrifying landing ever. I was sure we were all dead but turns out we didn't die in the end and the plane landed ok.

Monday 23/02 (PM) - 5 miles @ 7:25 min/mile

Some post stress trauma relief after the flight, little jog around the city though the wind was crazy, legs feeling much fresher than this morning.

Tuesday 24/02 - 15 miles @ 6:59 min/mile

Made the switch to long runs on a Tuesday for the next few weeks in preparation for Rotterdam and this was a good positive run. Headed down into the city and to the marina where I just let the legs dictate a pace and felt great at times. I experimented with throwing in some surges near the end when tiring. This was an effort to practice picking up the pace when the going gets tough in a race and worked well, especially around 10 miles in when I started slacking and needed some focus.

Wednesday 25/02 (AM) - 5 miles @ 8:14 min/mile

Easy recovery into the city and back. Wish I hadn't chosen the hilly route as the legs were sapped and effort was forced.

Wednesday 25/02 (PM) - 7 miles @ 7:27 min/mile

Feeling fresher in the evening, headed into the city again on a more hilly route with club mate. Still have concerns about the left glute, it almost feels as if I am working harder on one side if that's possible, particularly felt it on the hills today so going to get it checked when I can.

Thursday 26/02 - 16 miles mixed

Lunch: 30 mins (4 miles) easy

PM: 12 miles with 35 min track tempo @ 6 min/mile

Making the final progression to 35 mins tonight and will hold it at this for the next 3 weeks or so. I pulled back a group and sat around planned MP (6 min/mile) for 30 mins. Felt relatively comfortable and picked it up for the last 5 min feeling pretty strong. Good session, glute still bothering me but no pain there, just a sense of weakness so trying to sort a physio session for next week.

Friday 27/02 - 5 miles recovery

I chickened off to the treadmill because it was windy and raining and I didn't want to get wet. There I said it.

Saturday 27/02 - 14 miles with 5 x 6 mins & 1 x 10 mins

A very satisfying session this morning at the farm. Having felt a bit off the boil recently, this felt like a return to form in terms of effort. Everything had felt a little forced recently and today I felt back in control, breathing and form good and glute felt fine. In with a group of 3 lads, ran the 6 x 5 mins at roughly 5:30-5:35 pace with a 2 min recovery, kept them all pretty consistent and effort was tough but controlled. I expected the pace to slow a little for the 10 min rep but felt good and kept the effort the same. Pretty lucky to get this done in good conditions before the shít storm hit.

Splits: (2 mins recovery)
    1. 5 mins @ 5:30 min/mile
    2. 5 mins @ 5:36 min/mile
    3. 5 mins @ 5:30 min/mile
    4. 5 mins @ 5:36 min/mile
    5. 5 mins @ 5:35 min/mile
    6. 5 mins @ 5:36 min/mile
    7. 10 mins @ 5:37 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Fancy a run in Cork City tomorrow morning?!

Dublin runner in Cork...well I never

Planning on 20 miles in the morning you're welcome to come along for some or all ;) will drop you a text

• Advertisement

Sunday 01/03 - 20 miles @ 7:03 min/mile

Quite easily the worst conditions I've ever run in but on the other hand a pretty satisfying run, after it ended. Despite the torrential rain, gale force winds, hail, soggy runners and generally drenchiness, it felt pretty comfy in terms of effort and capped off my first 90+ mile week, so a lot of positives. I looked outside at 8am and everything looked pretty good so I left the house in my shortest shorts and a t-shirt, ready to rock. Minutes later however a few drops started hitting me but I paid little attention. Cue 8 miles later when I met up with my clubmates at the marina and it was coming down hard, with no mercy. We trudged on and I was definitely glad of the company for these 10 miles or so. Though all the attention (and chat) was on the weather, the effort felt surprisingly easy and legs feeling fresh. There was one particular horrid mile near the end which had myself and the lads questioning our sanity, my t-shirt was stuck to me like glue and hailstones pelting me in the face for fun. Suddenly like a switch, it all passed and I was almost there. Last 3 miles were quite enjoyable but I couldn't wait to get those soggy clothes off and I sat in my car with the heating on full with a weird smile on my face knowing I'd someday look back and realise it was worth it. Good finish to the week.

Weekly milage: 92

Monday 02/03 - 70 mins recovery (9 miles)

In Kilkenny for a small break so headed out early for a light jog around the castle grounds on a particularly freezing but beautiful morning. Legs felt ok despite the recent hammering.

Tuesday 03/03 - 15 miles @ 6:44 min/mile

Home in Enniscorthy today to say hello to the folks (and eat their food). Another smashing sunny morning in the south east but a stiff breeze out there. Very encouraging run overall, effort felt comfortable and mixed it up a little throwing in a few quicker miles here and there, getting down to marathon pace for a mile or so. One of those runs where no matter what direction you run the wind is in your face but on the whole a very satisfying run.

Heading back to Cork now and then at 6am off to Holland for the rest of the week for work stuff. Training will be hit and miss I'm guessing as it'll just be a case of squeezing in a run whenever I can. I can't wait to do loops around the airport again though ;)

Wednesday 04/03 - 10 miles @ 7:32 min/mile
    So I made it to Holland, my home for the next while. Got back from work pretty late but still managed a nice 10 mile run before dinner. Headed off with a clubmate who happens to work with me and happens to be over here too so was glad of the company. We headed around the city of Tilburg which is quite conducive to running with its generously wide bike lanes, there is also a distinct lack of scumbags. Plan is to just get the runs in while I'm here, sessions not essential with the late hours I'll be working so this was a good start. All the restaurants were closed when we came back so had Ronald McDonald refuel me with some chicken nuggets and a tuna salad.

Thursday 05/03 - 9 miles @ 7:01 min/mile (with 4m @ effort)
    Headed off just before 9pm and planned on getting some effort miles in tonight. 2 mile warmup and then picked it up. First 2 miles of 6:23 which didn't feel that comfortable, working too hard for that pace and stomach wasn't feeling right. Picked it up with a 6:12 and a 6:07 before I got a killer stitch and left it at 4 miles. Not the greatest run, body didn't feel the best but got some quality in and just happy to get another run in. 3 miles warmdown and just in time for last dinner orders.

Friday 06/03 - 8 miles recovery
    2 x 4 mile runs before and after work. Both very easy recovery pace and not really a lot to discuss about them, though PM me if you do want to discuss. I'm supposed to be back in Cork right now but hanging on for a few more days as the project isn't quite finished. Hoping to get a decent session in tomorrow morning and a 20 miler Sunday while also fitting in some work, well that's the plan anyway and that would top off a pretty good week everything considered.

Saturday 07/03 - 13 miles with 6 x 1 mile repeats

A quick look at google maps this morning and I saw a park about 2 miles away with plenty of pathway, this could do for my session so I said "this could do for my session" out loud as I wagged my chin, but nobody saw or heard me. Anyway up about 8:30am and grabbed a coffee and a small bowl of yoghurt & nuts in the buffet, such a shame I couldn't dig into the good stuff this morning. Headed off around 9am and jogged down to the park. It was perfect as google promised, loads of uninterrupted pathways and only a handful of walkers around. Fairly chilly out but no different than home so I hid the geansai in a tree and jumped into the session.

The plan was mile repeats, similar to what I'd be doing back home on a Saturday. I felt these would be manageable on my own and the target was at least 6 reps at 5:30 min/mile pace with a 2 min recovery. Into the first one and felt quite tough immediately but eventually relaxed into it and hit a 5:30, decent start. I then settled into the session hitting 5:23 for the next 2 reps and while working hard, felt alright and recovering well in between. A dog chased me on the 3rd rep, I just can't handle that stress but I think I did speed up a little. 5:25 for the 4th, starting to tire a little, followed by a 5:26 and then had to work hard for the last one. I got off to a slow start, felt a stitch coming on and a slight twinge in my groin. I really wanted to keep the session consistent and finish the last rep under 5:30 so had to dig deep for the last 1/4 mile and managed to finish strong with a 5:28. I knew then that 6 reps were enough and I'd be pushing it by doing any more so I left it there. Nice 3 mile jog back home and job done. Time to shower, grab some lunch and then off to work but I don't really mind, that session has put me in a pretty good mood.

Splits (2 min recovery):
    5:30
    5:23
    5:23
    5:25
    5:26
    5:28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Nice mile reps.

Hope you didn't forget the jumper :)

TbL

• Advertisement

Sunday 08/03 - 18.4 miles @ 7:32 min/mile

Well not quite the 20 miles as planned but I'm just happy to have gotten over 2 hours in considering I almost pulled the plug on this after about 8 miles. I think the week caught up with me a bit today. Tiredness is creeping in and I had what felt like muscular pain in my chest for the first 2 miles coupled with my glute screaming at me every now and then. I pulled the pace back to 7:30's and just shuffled along listening to the marathon talk lads waffling on about something. I figured out an 8 mile loop and when I got back the first time I considered calling it a day but through sheer stubbornness I convinced myself I could get through at least 2 hours. It wasn't just the physical aspect but mentally I wasn't with it at all today, I just wanted to get it done so I said one more loop and 16 miles will do me grand. Things actually picked up around 12 miles, the glute started behaving bar the odd sharp pain periodically and I started feeling good. Last few miles were comfortable and when I got back to the hotel I was bang on 2 hours. More stubbornness kicked in and I threw in another 15 minutes feeling grand, overall the effort felt very easy today. I got back to the hotel and considered pushing on to the 20 miles but for what really, pull yourself together man. I already had been on my feet almost 2:20, which is my typical long run so that was plenty for today. Really need to get into a physio when I get home to make sure this glute issue is nothing serious. Good weeks running overall considering I've been away and probably no harm pulling the milage back a little after last week.

Weekly milage: 82.6

** Monday 09/03 - 10 miles @ 7:53 **

Final run in Tilburg and happy to have made it through the trip with a lot of good work done both on and off the roads. This was a nice relaxed recovery in the evening, body felt just fine. In an effort to avoid missing my flight due to the early morning traffic, I opted for a late night drive up to Amsterdam and stayed close to the airport, heard some horror stories of guys missing flights so played it safe.

** Tuesday 10/03 - 18.5 miles mixed **

AM: 4.8 miles @ 7:13 min/mile. Got back to Cork mid morning and was so glad to be back I laced up and headed for a 5 miler before heading into work for a few hours. Pace was nippier than expected but just let the legs pick a comfortable pace and that was it.

PM: 13.7 miles @ 6:53 min/mile Good positive run and I've been enjoying these medium long ones in recent weeks. Cracking evening, ran into the city and down to the marina for a loop and back home. Was battling a ridiculous wind for 2 miles around halfway through and then when I turned I picked up the pace for the next 4 miles running around 6:20 min/miles feeling very comfortable. Couple of miles easy before climbing back up to home and happy with this one.

** Wednesday 11/03 - 13 miles mixed **

AM: 5 treadmill miles @ 8 min/mile Contrast to yesterday evening, a horrible wet and extremely windy morning meant I retreated to the gym for this one. Nothing much to say, actually nothing to say about it.

PM: 8 miles @ 7:49 min/mile Met up with a Dutch friend of mine who was down in Cork for a few days. He's a coach with St.Cocoas so had a good running chat as I took him on a nice loop around the city. Feeling pretty fresh for this one and what an evening compared to this morning.

** Thursday 12/03 - 17 miles mixed **

Lunch: 5 treadmill miles @ 8 min/mile A horrible wet and extremely windy morning meant I retreated to the gym for this one. Nothing much to say, actually nothing to say about it. In fact some say I copied and pasted from above.

PM: 12 miles with 6 miles tempo @ 5:49 min/mile avg

Great session on the track tonight and just what I needed coming up to a race week. Overall this week I'd been feeling much better than recent weeks and effort-wise this felt very good. In with my usual group and we eased into a steady effort feeling pretty comfortable. Time just seemed to fly by as we ticked off the miles looping around the track and gradually progressing the pace. I brought along the HR monitor for first time in a while just out of curiosity and looking at it afterwards I was surprised to see it staying very steady averaging 160bpm for the 6 miles - same average HR for my last marathon...only 20 miles less :) This session has really given me belief that I'm capable of holding just above 6 min/mile pace for Rotterdam if everything goes well on the day. The glute was giving me a little trouble in the last 5 mins of the session but no real pain, just niggling. Booked for physio tomorrow to finally get it looked at.

Mile splits:6:08, 5:55, 5:51, 5:48, 5:42, 5:36

** Friday 13/03 (AHH!!) - 7 miles recovery @ 7:51 min/mile **

Smashing morning, smashing but baltic. I geared up early and headed into the city before work getting a lovely 7 mile jog in, more than planned but miscalculated the route. The glute was bothering me again and I'm starting to notice a pattern of it flaring up the day after sessions but....

....I finally got to see the physio in the afternoon regarding this blasted glute and she wasn't overly concerned or surprised, it seems like something she's used to seeing with runners. Anyway she ended up tearing me apart a little and then stuck a load of needles in me, or what some like to call dry needling. It's not fun and I don't like it and I don't want to do it again but I'm booked in for next week again. She reckons I'll be fine for Rotterdam but to come back every week leading up to the marathon and in the taper weeks hopefully it'll crawl back into the hole it came from.

Saturday 14/03 - 13.6 miles with 3 x 10 mins

Another good session this morning. Out to the farm nice and early where most of the group were doing 4 x 10 mins but I was told to do just 3 reps with upcoming races on Tuesday (county novice 4 mile) and Sunday next week (Mallow 10). This was a good sharpener and encouraging as the 5:30-40 pace felt pretty comfortable. Legs felt a little tired which is to be expected with the front loading of the milage this week but even that considered the body felt in great shape. Nice relaxed 10 miles tomorrow planned as I wind it down and start freshening up.

Splits: (2 mins recovery)
    1. 1.8 miles in 10 mins @ 5:36 min/mile
    2. 1.8 miles in 10 mins @ 5:38 min/mile
    3. 1.8 miles in 10 mins @ 5:38 min/mile

Sunday 15/03 - 10 miles @ 6:56 min/mile

Down home for the weekend so headed for Curracloe beach this morning with my Dad where there are some nice trails for running and walking. Nice to only have just 10 miles on the menu today so as Dad headed off for a walk on the beach I headed for the woods and eased into a nice steady pace hovering around 7 min/mile. I briefly headed on to the beach but it was draining my legs and last thing I wanted was to tire myself before Tuesdays race so I retired back to the trails and then onto the road for a few miles. Nice run and that totals just shy of 90 miles for this week and feeling in a good place at the moment. I just hope an annoying blister on my sole clears up before Tuesday.

Weekly total: 89.3

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Do you have a target time for Tuesday's race and next weekends race?

Hey Turd. For the county novice on Tuesday I really don't have a target time in mind, just race it and hopefully do the job for the team and get a medal hopefully. For Mallow on Sunday I'd be satisfied with a sub 56. Based on recent sessions I reckon close to 5:30 miling isn't completely out of reach so that's a guide pace I have in mind. You're flying along recently, great race at Bohermeen and best of luck over the next 4 weeks.

Cheers you too.

Quick update...no running Monday or today due to blister on my sole which got aggravated on Sundays run and just didn't heal up. I tested it out early this morning but even a light jog was hurting badly so I knew toeing the line for the county novice today would jeopardise Mallow on Sunday. Pretty embarrassing to be missing a race because of a blister but what can I do (apart from manning up). The lads got the team gold, frustrating that I couldn't be part of it but the right decision I think. I went out to watch anyway which was better than sitting at home with a bucket of icecream feeling sorry for myself.

Hoping to be back for an easy jog tomorrow evening if it's better and not a huge deal as this was a pull back week anyway. I've had the worst luck with races recently so I'm just about to cover myself with bubble wrap and hide in the wardrobe until Sunday. See you then.

I'm having problems with my feet at the moment. Really nasty fissure (cracked skin) running along the ball of my foot up to my big toe. Could hardly walk on it yesterday afternoon. I have been going to a chiropodist lately and applied some of the lotion she gave me. Really softened up the tough skin either side of the fissure and with a bit of strapping I was good to go again today.

If you're still having problems tomorrow I would 100% recommend getting an appointment. The great thing about the chiropodist is you will limp in and more than likely stroll out. Totally different experience to going to your GP where if they can't prescribe a pill you're decked.

Where is the blister by the way?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Such a girl...

• Advertisement

I'm having problems with my feet at the moment. Really nasty fissure (cracked skin) running along the ball of my foot up to my big toe. Could hardly walk on it yesterday afternoon. I have been going to a chiropodist lately and applied some of the lotion she gave me. Really softened up the tough skin either side of the fissure and with a bit of strapping I was good to go again today.

If you're still having problems tomorrow I would 100% recommend getting an appointment. The great thing about the chiropodist is you will limp in and more than likely stroll out. Totally different experience to going to your GP where if they can't prescribe a pill you're decked.

Where is the blister by the way?

Ouch sounds nasty, how is it now? Blister is on the mid sole but seems to be on the mend today. I had a blister pad on for Sundays run but I went to change it afterwards and ripped about 3 layers of skin off, that was the problem. Do you know the name of the lotion? If not I'll use fairy washing up liquid, I hear that's very gentle on the skin and lasts longer than your usual brands.
    Such a girl...
    Rude. That's not acceptable mod behaviour. I was going to post a photo to justify my whinging but I don't want to risk losing my followers, all 3 of them (including my mom).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

:D:D

Such a girl...

I'm reporting you. This is a sexist comment and implies girls are somehow weaker than their male counterparts. As a woman and mod yourself I'm shocked at this comment!

Secondly, you are one to talk. The slightest sniffle and you call the centre for disease control and report an outbreak of TB!

:D

Quick catchup. Blister healed up as most blisters do and had a couple of good days running before now easing up for Mallow on Sunday. I don't want to tempt fate but I'm 100% sure I'm going to make the start line for this one. 100%

Monday 18/03 - 10.3 miles @ 7:46 min/mile

Of course the day after the novice race the foot is fine again. Well, it wasn't perfect but good enough to run on and I really enjoyed this one, I had so much energy and the legs felt so fresh. Headed off with a clubmate from work, bumped into another 2 clubmates, got a nightmare for 'dodging races' and then tottered down into the city chatting away. We met another clubmate down at the Mardyke so did a few miles with her before heading back up home and delighted to be back after what felt like an eternity on the sidelines.

Tuesday 19/03 - 15 miles mixed

Lunch: 5 miles easy lunchtime jog with a clubmate who recently joined us at work. She's only an elite, targeting the marathon in Rio and it's great to chat with her and learn about how she manages the training, work and handling a newborn amongst other things.

PM: 10 miles with 20 min track tempo @ 5:48

Just the 20 mins tonight as I want to keep fresh for Sunday but this was a really positive run. Though it was a quick session, it really seemed to hint that the training is coming together now and at the right time. The 5:50 pace felt very comfortable, the breathing relaxed, form good and legs felt fresh. The HR was a steady ~160bpm for the 20 mins so very good signs overall. This gives me good confidence now for Sunday so I hope I can put in a good shift on the day.

Friday 20/03 - 7.5 miles @ 7:50 min/mile

Really nice recovery jog around the city before work. Blood freezing out but eventually warmed up and had to hold back the pace at times as the legs were getting a bit carried away. That's it now until Sunday, physio tonight (dry needling ahhhhh) and then taking it easy tomorrow. Let's bring it on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Savage time today C, so close to a top 10

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

Class time, great to get a race under your belt at last and such a solid result. Good call in cutting the county race earlier in the week now.

56:02 (chip) and 11th overall

Full Results

So finally I made it to the start line of a race, my first of 2015 and it had been too long since I felt race pain, i.e pain exclusive to racing. Though I would have hoped for a quicker time, I'm very happy with the effort and the overall position (up from 33rd last year), all signs I'm moving in the right direction and the training is paying off. All I really wanted out of this was a PB and an indication I'm on track for Rotterdam, that was achieved so a good day at the office.

A stunner of a Sunday morning in Cork, blue skies, the sun in top form and it was already quite warm by 12pm but a stiff breeze ensured we'd be kept cool (though that wind actually ended up being a bit of a pest). I parked up the car close to race HQ and got a 2 mile warmup done around the town with some club mates, it really was starting to feel warm. I headed down to the starting gantry close to 12:30pm. I was pretty nervous standing around at the start line but was expecting that, I hadn't raced in over 4 months. I chatted with some club mates and decided to work together with one lad as we were aiming for similar targets. There were also 2 clubmates that I knew would be slightly quicker but that we should be keeping them in view.

Mile 1 - 5:37
    I lined up a row back, took a deep breadth (well many) and bang we're off. Felt pretty comfortable for the first quarter mile as it was all downhill. The new course change meant we were hit with a pretty tough climb for remainder of the mile but I had packed in a group of about 8-10 including the 3 clubmates and I just focussed on staying with the pack. Worryingly the legs started aching already.

Mile 2 - 5:39
    With a tough breeze in our faces, I was still feeing the effort and already starting to think I had underestimated this race. I allowed a lot of negative thoughts enter and it was way too early for that. The legs were still feeling tired but I knew some respite wasn't far as miles 3-4 are downhill. The drag continued up until the end of this mile but I just focussed on staying with the lads and soon we made the turn onto the main road.

Mile 3 - 5:28
    It felt as if a mini weight had been lifted here and the group seemed to quickly spread out as a few injected a serious turn of pace. I stuck with clubmate AS as planned and the 2 other clubmates started gaining a few meters on us, as expected. I was suddenly running 5:20ish pace and feeling the energy levels pick up a little. Most of the initial group had fallen off behind us and it was myself, AS and another female clubmate MF who had caught up and worked in with us (she went on to win)

Mile 4 - 5:25
    Still working well here and felt I was making up good time from the initial slow start. I was never really comfortable however and it still felt like a big ask as I thought of how long was still left. There was definitely some race sharpness missing today and the head was all over the place at times. We started a bit of a climb at the end of the mile as we approached the end of the main road but this ended up being the quickest mile of the day.

Mile 5 - 5:36
    AS had gained about 10-15 meters on me here, I felt he was pushing the pace a bit much so I didn't go with him so it was myself and MF working together along this stretch. She dropped off the pace coming to the 5 mile mark and I was working ok here and ended up eventually catching up with AS. I hit halfway in 27:47 and I remembered the exact same moment last year wondering if I could do it again. Back then I was feeling great at halfway and confident I could do it again, this time I wasn't so sure at all. I was really feeling the burn, I knew it wouldn't be easy but I wasn't giving in.

Mile 6 - 5:38
    Myself and AS were back side by side, the field spread out ahead of us and the 2 other clubmates had gained a fair bit of ground on us now. It felt as if I was just enduring these couple of miles mid-race, almost zoning out and the pace showed it as it started to slow up a little. I was glad to have AS working with me here as every now and then one would tire and we'd inject a little pace and drag each other along.

Mile 7 - 5:42
    Starting to work very hard here and the wind wasn't helping us one bit. Though not a word was spoken, we got into a routine of taking turns in the wind, switching every few minutes and this made these middle miles at least somewhat manageable. I really felt every drag here but with every step I was getting closer to the finish line so I knew I just had to hang in there, the pain is temporary. I had to remind myself a lot that this is why I train.

Mile 8 - 5:46
    Miles 6-8 was the most difficult patch of the day and indeed this was the slowest mile of the day with the drags really taking a lot out of us, can't say I recall much of it. I gave myself a mental milestone of 8 miles though and the last 2 always seem suddenly very manageable when you get there.

Mile 9 - 5:35
    So we hit mile 8 and just 2 left. I hadn't been watching the splits but I knew we had been slowing throughout the 2nd half, I wanted a strong finish. I actually started feeling good here for once today, I'm not sure what triggered it but better late than never. I picked up the pace a bit and started gaining a few meters on AS. I had noticed us gaining on a lone runner up ahead for a while and we finally caught him early in this mile. It was fellow club runner who had gone out a bit quick and was fading. Passing someone you know is never enjoyable but passing anyone regardless always gives you a little lift. I was feeling good and confident I'd hold this until the finish so on I motored.

Mile 10 - 5:30
    I now had a bit of a lead on AS and as the watch ticked onto 9 miles I had a glance, 50:30 was the time it read and a quick calculation told me I had to run a 5:30 or quicker to dip under 56. I passed another fading runner here who I remembered from the early miles and had a considerable gap on us. Another boost for me but I was seriously putting everything into it now. Quick glance at the watch and half a mile to go, I was actually gaining on the 2 lads ahead of me a Barrs runner and another clubmate. I was breathing so heavy, audible grunts emanating but I was almost there, hanging by a thread. I knew AS wasn't far behind, I could hear the footsteps but I wasn't giving up this position. The finish finally came into view, I saw the watch ticking and knew it was going to be a close one to dip under 56. I gave it my all over the last few meters and made a dash for it but alas it wasn't to be today. 56:01 it read as I looked down. I wasn't disappointed, I knew I had given it my everything today and it was more relief to be over the line having knocked almost a minute off my PB. AS came in about 8 seconds behind me and I was straight over to show my appreciation for his effort in making it easier for both of us.

Overall, yeah I would have hoped to be quicker but that's the time I ran and I don't think I could have done much more. Always take the positives and that's what I'm doing. Nabbed a PB, raced it well, almost top 10 :o and finished strong. Considering I'm coming off the back of some high milage marathon training I reckon I'm in a pretty good place and it's given me a lot of belief for the upcoming marathon.

Suddenly the 54:30 target I set for 10 miles seems like a long way off but I'll definitely be revisiting the distance again this year and we'll see how close I can get.

I managed to fit 19.5 miles into the day with the warmup/cooldown and then I met some Rotterdam clubmates in the evening for a very leisurely 5+ miles.

Summary: 10 miles in 56:02 @ 5:36 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Crackin' result. Congrats. I think the club environment down there (and Donore previously) has really helped your progression. You are in a good position now heading into Rotterdam.

I'm now off to think of some questions to ask you.......:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Great run.
    Well done.
    Some Toblerone Cheesecake to celebrate afterwards I hope? :)

• Advertisement

Crackin' result. Congrats. I think the club environment down there (and Donore previously) has really helped your progression. You are in a good position now heading into Rotterdam.

I'm now off to think of some questions to ask you.......:pac:

Cheers DR. Be careful now, I still have to pick someone for next week :P
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    Great run.
    Well done.
    Some Toblerone Cheesecake to celebrate afterwards I hope? :)

Thanks P! Incredibly, 2015 has not seen a single spoon of Toblerone cheesecake pass my lips. I'm waiting for the right moment. I did however make a fool of a Thai takeaway and then helped myself to the race goodie bag :D

Advertisement