Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SE Asia - 3 Month Trip, Advice Please

• 25-04-2014 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Looking for a bit of advice here on me and my girlfriend’s trip to SE asia. If anyone can offer their thoughts on the time needed in each place and an areas we have missed that are worth seeing.
    Have our arrival date and our initial plan is for 3 months before heading onto Oz but I think our budget can stretch a bit further if we want to stay longer.

Please be gentle, pretty clueless about this!

Rough plan

Thailand
    Fly into Bangkok, worth staying for more than a few nights?
    Head north towards chiang mai.
    Any recommendations of areas between Bangkok and chiang mai?

Laos
    From chiang mai, head east across Laos
    Huay Xai, Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng,
    any other areas worth seeing?

Vietnam
    I’ve been told of a hostel that does a trip from Hanoi – HCMC in a week with loads of stops on the way.
    Since we’ve got time on our side, could we extend our time in Vietnam by just doing this on our own, or is a week enough?

Cambodia
    From ho chi minh city across Cambodia stopping in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap.
    Again, if you had 3 months, how long would you stay here?

Thailand
    From Bangkok, head south and visit all islands on the way
    Ko samui, phuket, koh phi phi,

Malaysia
    Haven’t done a lot of reading about Malaysia so all advice welcome.

Singapore
    I know Singapore is expensive so maybe only 4-7 days.

All advice on our route and time in each is much appreciated.

Costs – Excluding flights, is €1500 per month per person a good indication of living costs in the general area?

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

What general route are you following? Are you flying into Malaysia/Singapore and then on to the rest of SE Asia?

Singapore - I'd say 3 days
    Malaysia - I was only in KL and didn't rate it much but the islands etc looked fantastic and the Highlands.

Burma - Fantastic - get there now before it's completely overrun. You could easily do the highlights in 7/10 days and there's good internal flight network and onward flights to Malaysia and Thailand

With €1500 a month each excluding flights you'll both live like Kings!

PS what time of year will you be travelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Heading to Dubai 9th june for a week then onto Bangkok.

My route is the same as the order I've listed above. Could maybe do Burma then Laos before Vietnam.

Ok great on the cost side of things. Lot of saving has been done past 9 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

You can get cheap flights from Bangkok to Mandalay and then from Yangon to KL. You need a visa for Burma - took 2 weeks for mine to come through from London but think you can get a same day one in the embassy in Bangkok.

Pretty sure you'll be there in rainy season so you'll want to temper your travel plans as some places may be inaccessible. Check out Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Forum for much more detailed info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Hostel you were told about may be Vietnam Backpackers.

The tour only goes from Hanoi to Hue/Hoi an I think. I'm pretty sure it doesnt go to HCM.

If a hostel does do a tour in a week it it madness as you don't have the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I done this very trip in the same time frame but we skipped Laos. You'll need a lot more than a week in Vietnam. It was my personal fave country of the trip, we spent over three weeks there and I still regret not using my whole 30 day visa there.

We spent 9 days in Cambodia, 5 of which were in Sionoukville (sp?), 2 in Phnom Penn and 2 in Siem Reap. Only reason we were south for so long was because we went to Koh Rong for a few nights. Siem Reap is a great spot for partying as well as doing the cultural stuff.

I spent about a week between KL and Langkawi in Malaysia, and spent about 2.5 weeks in Borneo. KL is a great modern city, Langkawi is a pretty cool place too. But all the good stuff we done was in Borneo. We climbed Mt. Kinabalu, went whitewater rafting, went to Turtle island, spent a night in the jungle and went diving in Sipadan. The wildlife there is just incredible.

Singapore was my least favourite country. Super modern, very expensive and virtually no history. It's kinda like someone dropped a huge city onto this little island. It's all hotels and shopping centres.

We spent roughly 2k each per month but we stayed in decent cheap hotels, always had air con. Done dive courses etc. and we never held back from doing anything we wanted to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I agree, of all countries there, you should give Vietnam plenty more than a week. Would be a shame to leave out Halong bay and Sapa. Both are absolutely amazing. Yes they're touristy, but you still get a to see the real natives and a bit of their culture. Love the mountains and the hiking around Sapa, it's a really beautiful spot.

Sapa really is great. You'll see places offering return rains and one night home stay in Sapa for about $200 but if you just get the tickets yourself the train is $35 each way and a home stay with a guide for two days is about $30 each. There's a few waterfalls you can visit there too, just rent a motorbike for $5 and you can see most of it in a day

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Jaggy

I'd definitely check out Sukhothai Historical park between Bangkok and Chiang Mai. I was there in June/July. Worth it for a day or two. Not much else to do there though. Think it was about 7 hours north of Bangkok by bus. Then another 4 on to Chiang Mai. But don't quote me on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Gatica wrote: »
    I agree, of all countries there, you should give Vietnam plenty more than a week. Would be a shame to leave out Halong bay and Sapa. Both are absolutely amazing. Yes they're touristy, but you still get a to see the real natives and a bit of their culture. Love the mountains and the hiking around Sapa, it's a really beautiful spot.

Vietnam is amazing...we spent almost 4 weeks there and it want nearly enough. We did it all by ourselves and its very easy. Agree with Gatica Halong Bay and Sapa are amazing. We also love Hoi An but Hue is definitely not really worth a visit...if you have time book an easy rider (motor bike) trip in the highlands. Hanoi is a great city, far more 'authentic' than HCMC, the Mekong is worth a visit too. You wont regret spending 3+ weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Just to say, if you are staying in Hoi An. New hostel just opened called Saltwater Hostel. I havent been but the owners would be mates of mine and they are sure to look after an Irish skin.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice everyone. We have don't have our journey to oz booked yet so we have as much time as we like in Asia. Can't wait.

What's the story with visas when re entering thailand by land crossing. 15 day visa only?

From what I've read it's 30 days when you fly in.
    Can we get a visa for Vietnam greater than 30 days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭KilOit

What's the story with visas when re entering thailand by land crossing. 15 day visa only?

From what I've read it's 30 days when you fly in.
    Can we get a visa for Vietnam greater than 30 days?

Got my Thai visa is kuala lumpur, it was so straight forward, think it was 60 days and got the boat from north Malaysia to south thailand.
    Stayed in Thailand for 6 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

Have to agree about giving Vietnam more time. Amazing country.

Also absolutely loved Cambodia, particularly Sihanouville.

Re: Thailand - north is nice but islands are so-so Samui is horrible. Couldn't leave fast enough. Did full moon in Phangan good craic but not for everyone. Koh Tao - Ok. Phi-phi - Good fun but wouldn't be rushing back

Koh chang was my favourite thai island - beautiful beaches etc without the madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

Your itinerary for Laos is spot on - they are the only places worth seeing. Vang Vieng is amazing for people who love to party. In terms of the islands in Thailand - i'm not sure if you've mentioned when you're visiting but if it's November/December I'd stick to the Andaman side so phi phi, phuket, krabi and koh lanta as it will be bucketing rain on the samui side most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Bruz82

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

I'm doing the same trip myself next year but hopefully longer than 3 months,which country would people think is the cheapest? Also has anybody thaught english through TEFL over there?

Vietnam is the cheapest by quite a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Vietnam is the cheapest by quite a bit.

Laos is cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

jadie wrote: »
    Laos is cheaper

I'd agree.

• Advertisement

I thought Cambodia and Vietnam were far cheaper than Thailand. For me Cambodia was the cheapest( except Siem Reap) I think your budget will depend on how fast you are travelling if you can take your time you will be spending very very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

I was in the region in January.
    For me Cambodia was more expensive than Vietnam, made a lot more trips to the ATM and then wondering where the money went.

Part of that may have been that I only ate westernish food, I'm no way adventurous when it comes to filling the belly, if I don't like the look of it I don't eat it. We were paying c. $8 for lunch in phnom Penh. In places like Nha Trang think it was around $4 for similar food.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Heading over south east asia for 6 weeks. Can we get the free 30 day visa, leave for cambodia and Vietnam, then fly back in and get abother free 30 day visa?

jimmyboy wrote: »
    Heading over south east asia for 6 weeks. Can we get the free 30 day visa, leave for cambodia and Vietnam, then fly back in and get abother free 30 day visa?

Yes I think it's 30 when you fly in and 15 by land. Don't think theres a limit on the amount of 30 day visas you can get. Maybe someone else can confirm?

You could get double entry visa. Probably easier to get it sorted now

Look up Thai Consulate Ireland. You'll find option for Double entry tourist visa - 70euro

physiopad wrote: »
    You could get double entry visa. Probably easier to get it sorted now

Look up Thai Consulate Ireland. You'll find option for Double entry tourist visa - 70euro

Why organise it in advance and pay when they can just show up twice and get a free visa on entry?

I entered Thailand by air and then by land about 40 days later, no problem. They take a departure card when you leave each time so you can come and go as much as you want.

Why organise it in advance and pay when they can just show up twice and get a free visa on entry?

I entered Thailand by air and then by land about 40 days later, no problem. They take a departure card when you leave each time so you can come and go as much as you want.

Was it really free? Feck it! At least I know for next time...

physiopad wrote: »
    Was it really free? Feck it! At least I know for next time...

Sure is, we came in by land the second time and only got 15 days so we extended that by 7 days, that cost 1900 baht each but it's easier than doing a visa run

Sure is, we came in by land the second time and only got 15 days so we extended that by 7 days, that cost 1900 baht each but it's easier than doing a visa run

Didn't know that 7 day extension existed, should suit me perfect as the 15 day is probably too short.

• Advertisement

Didn't know that 7 day extension existed, should suit me perfect as the 15 day is probably too short.

We got it in Koh Samui, but just take into account the price because we nearly would have been as well off flying. 1900 it the bones of 50 euro iirc. The flight from Cambodia would have been about 100. Would have worked out the same for us in the end and we wouldn't of had to do Siem Reap to Koh Pha nGan on busses!

Advertisement