Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help finding very safe effective hair products for damaged hair

• 25-04-2014 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hello, so I wondered if I could get some help finding the right hair products. Ill admit I'm very naive about ingredients and wouldn't be one to buy loads of products, I like to keep things simple.
    Basically after doing a shave for shave or die, my hair grew back amazing for the first while but because I'm on a budget I had to make do with v cheap hair products which left my curly hair damaged, dry and a little frizzy. I have naturally ginger locks and ideally want to get something to help repair the damage from cheap products and straightening it the odd time.

So.. I want to find something with no dodgey sulphates, alchohols or silicones that can be used as a long term choice with no side effects. It has to be gentle as I have sensitive skin so for e.g. most commercial perfumes I avoid wearing due to asthmatic, nasal and red skin reactions. Not so pretty! I've decided to up my budget a little and ask for some assistance from those of you who've already done the research and can point me in the right direction. I know if I go into Evergreen or Boots I'm likely to get a sales pitch not an objective opinion so relying on you Boardsies to help me out.
    I'm looking to get a shampoo, conditioner, hair serum for heat protection/anti frizz and any other products people use. Just want to be able to clean my hair and leave it as is with minimal effort.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this!

:):)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Hi arf91, i have hair which can't make its mind up between curly and frizzy. I buy coconut oil,which comes solid in tubs.It melts pretty easily at room temperature or by rubbing between your fingers. Melt some,put it in your hair.It will (obviously) be oily,so no going out at that point!Leave it in for a couple of hours and then wash out. Evergreen do a lovely range of products called Faith In Nature which have very nice shampoos and conditioners. Personally I love the hemp and Meadowfoam. I would think your hair would be in pretty good condition after doing this a few times. coconut oil is amazing for so many things.it really is a treat for your hair though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Hi arf91, i have hair which can't make its mind up between curly and frizzy. I buy coconut oil,which comes solid in tubs.It melts pretty easily at room temperature or by rubbing between your fingers. Melt some,put it in your hair.It will (obviously) be oily,so no going out at that point!Leave it in for a couple of hours and then wash out. Evergreen do a lovely range of products called Faith In Nature which have very nice shampoos and conditioners. Personally I love the hemp and Meadowfoam. I would think your hair would be in pretty good condition after doing this a few times. coconut oil is amazing for so many things.it really is a treat for your hair though.

Thanks ill give them a look. I have some coconut oil actually as well as an aloe vera plant both of which I'm thinking of trying!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

I use Elave Shampoo and Conditioner. Sulphate, Alcohol etc free. You'll get it in Boots and most Chemists.

I've been using Tres Semme Naturals for a while now and I find it great. My hair was pretty healthy beforehand, but it made it a lot more manageable/silky/shiny. It also completely unexpectedly cleared up my dandruff and helped improve a patch of eczema I had near my hairline.

So while I can't say whether or not it will repair your damage (I'd imagine it would), it's definitely very very gentle, great at returning moisture to your hair/scalp, it's hypoallergenic and has no harsh chemicals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Just got the coconut one I was swayed by the smell! The girl in the shop also recommeded to do a coconut oil hair mask over night and to put the shampoo in before you wet your hair when your washing it out otherwise its way harder ro get out. So going to try that too.. although I've heard coconut oil doesn't work for everyone, makes some hair frizzy. I tried it once the last day but only a tincy amount so didn't notice much difference either way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Try the Hask Shampoos in Penneys. They are from a US company and excellent! And cheap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

My hair has always been good and recently noticed that I kinda said wait ill stop buying the pricing shampoos and go for the standard ones but tis dried it out completely. I find using almond oil or coconut oil does wonders. You can buy a tub of the coconut oil in the chemist just ask at the counter tis less than €5 and last forever. Works great if you rub a bit in your hands and them just rub over your hair to defrizz or else massage a lot in your hair and leave it over night or for a few hours. Same goes with Almond oil you get it in the health shops or places like that.. Add some mint or peppermint to it and it does work as a hair stimulant.. I recently got the garnier shampoo and oil to treat and found it rubbish dried it out more than anything.. Old natural seems to work best

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Milly33 wrote: »
    My hair has always been good and recently noticed that I kinda said wait ill stop buying the pricing shampoos and go for the standard ones but tis dried it out completely. I find using almond oil or coconut oil does wonders. You can buy a tub of the coconut oil in the chemist just ask at the counter tis less than €5 and last forever. Works great if you rub a bit in your hands and them just rub over your hair to defrizz or else massage a lot in your hair and leave it over night or for a few hours. Same goes with Almond oil you get it in the health shops or places like that.. Add some mint or peppermint to it and it does work as a hair stimulant.. I recently got the garnier shampoo and oil to treat and found it rubbish dried it out more than anything.. Old natural seems to work best

I didn't know Chemists would stock coconut oil.

What shampoo/conditioner do you usually use Milly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yep they do..You can get it in oil form or lets say a hard form that you just let melt in your hands. It great that way as you can use it for everything and a small bit goes a long way.

I was using elvive and herbal essence for most part, then I got into this argan oil stuff. I got one argan oil that was good from a Group On deal, but went out then and tried the Organix shampoo and thought they were rubbish, got the garnier one then too and that seemed to dry it up completely...

So back to the old basics im going had my hair soaked in almond oil last night and tis shiny today..

Advertisement