Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rush Queries

Options
  • 25-04-2014 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Afternoon,

Myself and my wife are moving to Rush shortly and I've a few questions on some of the facilities. I know probably all of these have been discussed in other threads, and i've been reading a lot of them, so I suppose I'm how things are from an up to date point of view.

33x bus - I've read the threads about how bad it can be in the mornings. Is this mainly after 8am or is this even the first bus? Seems to be no chance of a seat by the time it gets to Lusk, is it ok in Rush or packed even by then? The buses around 7.15ish am, how long does it generally take to get from the main street in Rush to the last stop near Stephens Green?

Road out of Rush towards Blakes Cross - does this road flow freely in the mornings, or get backed up? I'm thinking regardless of if going by car, bus, or train (getting to the station), most people going into town will be on this road. So thinking will it be a quick spin to the train station if taking it, or will it still take 10 minutes, etc.

Broadband - Currently use UPC closer to town, and its a great service, so looking for some alternative with decent speed as its not available in Rush. Eircom and Vodafone seem to be 2 good options, but have seen horror stories on both of these in the area. Have issues been resolved, were they only temporary issues or ongoing?

Bins - Is Panda the only real option?

Thanks a million for any input, will be looking to sort / plan these few things in the next few weeks.

Cheers,
    MartinAnt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The 33x should be fine from Rush, I dunno what it's like now coming home from the Custom House, I'd imagine most people would get on/a seat. It used to take roughly the same time to get from the train station to Tara st station as the train...

The only hold up is the lights to the junction at Lissenhall, to get onto the Motorway ( and getting off it at the evening) The right turn from the r132 towards Lusk backs up a bit in the evenings.
    You can get held up behind tractors at anytime from Blakes Cross to Rush...
    Since the 3rd lanes went in on the M1, there is very little hold up on the M1, unless there's a crash.

I get efibre broadband from vodafone ( on an eircom line) in Lusk.
    I just got 43Mbps down and 14Mbps up on Speedtest.net
    Rush is in the same exchange area and you should get something similar, if you are close to a fibre cabinet. See other threads here for better details about areas in Rush which are fibre enabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Just to add to that, I'm with Vodafone too and get around the same speeds. I haven't had any problems with them. Although if you're getting tv set up too, Eircom and Sky have some good deals on tv and broadband combined. It's EVision with Eircom I think although if you use torrent sites then Eircom is not for you.

As far as I know, since the council pulled out, Panda is the only option.
    I think I paid €110 for the year and then €8 per black bin lift. With the green and brown bins though, we only put that out a few times a year.

I'd second the tractors too! There isn't really anywhere to pass them out between Rush and Lusk either. The queue to get onto the M1 used to be huge in the mornings too but since they did the work on the slip and the approach it's not too bad at all.

Be careful coming out of the train station on the Rush side too. It's in a dip and it's dangerous.

Best of luck and enjoy the beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

sin0city wrote: »
    Be careful coming out of the train station on the Rush side too. It's in a dip and it's dangerous.

+1 Extremely dangerous! Watch out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Just moved to Rush in the last 10 days so I'm new to all these issues too.

Haven't had any bother with traffic thus far although, to be fair, last week the schools were off! I travel to & from Clondalkin everyday and the journey has yet to take longer than 40 minutes either way. M1 & M50 have both been fine (thus far!)

Panda cost is €110. Bins arrived within 5 days of ordering them.

Have only ordered a bundle with Eircom, yet to be set up. They tell me E-Fibre is available at 60mgs.

Take it easy on the road from Rush to Lusk - it has a few dips and bends that can catch you out. The traffic flows freely, barring getting stuck behind a tractor or bus.

Having come from a boring suburban town just like 25 others, I'm loving life by the sea! You can't put a price on having a beach 5 minutes away.

Welcome to Rush!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

trackguy wrote: »
    Just moved to Rush in the last 10 days so I'm new to all these issues too.

Haven't had any bother with traffic thus far although, to be fair, last week the schools were off! I travel to & from Clondalkin everyday and the journey has yet to take longer than 40 minutes either way. M1 & M50 have both been fine (thus far!)

Panda cost is €110. Bins arrived within 5 days of ordering them.

Have only ordered a bundle with Eircom, yet to be set up. They tell me E-Fibre is available at 60mgs.

Take it easy on the road from Rush to Lusk - it has a few dips and bends that can catch you out. The traffic flows freely, barring getting stuck behind a tractor or bus.

Having come from a boring suburban town just like 25 others, I'm loving life by the sea! You can't put a price on having a beach 5 minutes away.

Getting stuck behind a tractor isn't a bad thing.. Its part and parcal of living in the horticultural heartland of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

Anyone know which estates are hit with pyrite in Rush. Am considering looking at houses here but want to be cautious. Thanks

niceoneted wrote: »
    Anyone know which estates are hit with pyrite in Rush. Am considering looking at houses here but want to be cautious. Thanks

I've heard that Golden Ridge has had issues with Pyrite. We've just moved into Seabrook. I have a certificate that says it is Pyrite free. We'll see :o

I know Tayleurs Point or parts of it were bad with pyrite.

Anyone know about Lambay View in relation to pyrite? Or anything else about the estate. Is it nice to live in? Thanks.

• Advertisement

niceoneted wrote: »
    Anyone know about Lambay View in relation to pyrite? Or anything else about the estate. Is it nice to live in? Thanks.

No pyrite that I'm aware of no.
    You'd be hard pushed to find better! Especially if you have/intend to have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bmurphy8177

trackguy wrote: »
    I've heard that Golden Ridge has had issues with Pyrite. We've just moved into Seabrook. I have a certificate that says it is Pyrite free. We'll see :o

Where did you hear this?

Where did you hear this?

I've seen a few things online such as this -

http://www.daft.ie/sales/23-golden-ridge-drive-rush-dublin/675912/

Although, in the case of this house, it has been rectified.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Think Tayleurs point was worst hit with Pyrite. Other estates have it but not all houses it depends on what quarry the builder used as far as I know.

Thornchase, Ravenswell and Tayleurs point were the only ones I heard were effected with Pyrite. Not all houses in (Thornchase and Ravenswell) Never heard anything about Goldenridge having it.

If you are buying a house there your engineer should be able to help with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

micraX wrote: »
    Getting stuck behind a tractor isn't a bad thing.. Its part and parcal of living in the horticultural heartland of the country.

That's exactly what I think when I haven't left quite enough time to make the train and get caught behind one :D

sin0city wrote: »
    That's exactly what I think when I haven't left quite enough time to make the train and get caught behind one :D

Sure most do 40/50k so you wouldn't be too delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I've just moved to Rush (Lambay View) less than 2 weeks ago, and love it.
    The sea, the beaches, the peace, (the view of Lambay Island from my office).

Thankfully I don't commute daily in and out of Rush as I'm home based, but when I do, the roads seem fine enough (average of about 20 minutes to the airport).

Broadband - I'm waiting for Vodafone broadband to go live. I was told by Eircom & Vodafone I would get 15mbps max on my line, but Vodafone said once I'm connected, they would upgrade me to fibre, so I'm interested to see if it'll improve my speed!
    Neil_Sedaka - I see your in Lambay View, what sort of internet speeds do you get? (fibre?) and with who if you don't mind me asking?

Bins - I just signed with Panda (the only option I think) €110 yearly fee (which includes all green/brown bin pick ups) and €9.95 for the black bin pick up, I was told I'd have to buy tags for the black bin which seems a little inconvenient, but they did say in about 3 months this system would be gone, and it would be automated billing per pick up.

Hi and welcome.

I have Fibre from Vodafone for the past few months. I get a very steady 38Mbps from it over wired connection.

Voda and eircom initially told me 15 or so max!! So happy out :D

Again welcome to the community, just shout if you need any help or advice.
    Neighbours here are great, always ready to help out if the need arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Candles

Hi guys,

Just jumping onboard id OP doesn't mind! We are moving to Rush in a few weeks and have a few questions also. Im hoping to get the 33X into town at around 7.15 - would this get me in for 8ish? Also will have a baby in a buggy some days so will this be a problem with packed buses?

We are going to rent for a while but if we like it ( and to be honest it looks just perfect for bringing up a child in so hoping I can cope with the commute) we hope to buy so will look at creches/ child minders out there - any suggestions? we will probably only be looking part time but hubbie does shift work so hours can changes some weeks.

Any advice on where or what to do to get know the area and locals? Want to join in and feel part of the community

Thanks in advance

Candles wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just jumping onboard id OP doesn't mind! We are moving to Rush in a few weeks and have a few questions also. Im hoping to get the 33X into town at around 7.15 - would this get me in for 8ish? Also will have a baby in a buggy some days so will this be a problem with packed buses?

We are going to rent for a while but if we like it ( and to be honest it looks just perfect for bringing up a child in so hoping I can cope with the commute) we hope to buy so will look at creches/ child minders out there - any suggestions? we will probably only be looking part time but hubbie does shift work so hours can changes some weeks.

Any advice on where or what to do to get know the area and locals? Want to join in and feel part of the community

Thanks in advance

Good luck to getting a buggy on them 33x's. Might be ok in summer butlater on when colleges are back it'll be packed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance

You could not pick a better place to raise a child, I would say that!! But I think its a really good area with lots to offer.

No shortage of clubs, G.A.A. Soccer, cricket, Gymnastics, Library, Photography, Pip band, Musical society, Theatre 2 good beachs and plenty of walking.

Only 30 - 35 minutes from city on 33x or in car.

Thanks guys, think we may have to rethink the bus with the buggy option! Any ideas where I would find a good child minder? I know there are several creches but think a child minder might work better for us until we are settled.

It certainly looks a fab place to bring up a child :-)

It certainly looks a fab place to bring up a child :-)

Honestly? It is! :)

We hope to look at buying a house there once we are settled so any recommendations on a nice and relatively quiet area would be very welcome. We will be on a budget if under €240k so hope we can get one

We hope to look at buying a house there once we are settled so any recommendations on a nice and relatively quiet area would be very welcome. We will be on a budget if under €240k so hope we can get one

Hi and welcome.

I have Fibre from Vodafone for the past few months. I get a very steady 38Mbps from it over wired connection.

Voda and eircom initially told me 15 or so max!! So happy out :D

Again welcome to the community, just shout if you need any help or advice.
    Neighbours here are great, always ready to help out if the need arises.

Cheers Neil,

My Vodafone 'standard' broadband was hooked up yesterday and I'm only getting 0.9-1.3 mbps down!!
    Test just completed;
    Ping: 33ms
    Down: 1.19 mbps
    Up: 0.30 mbps
    They say I'm too far from the exchange (6km they say)

Their now saying the fibre will bring me 'up to' 15 mbps!!

Did you even have your line into the house upgraded at any time? I'm thinking with the age of these houses, the connections into the house would be fairly modern!

1.6 was all I used to get before fibre. It's a long way to the exchange (near the train station)

With fibre, it's connected to your nearest cabinet, mine is about 400M away, as the crow flies.

I was also told 15Mbps on fibre, but I get a steady 38Mbps.

No, never had the wiring touched, you should be good to go with fibre.

Thanks for the reply Neil,

looking at Google Maps, it looks like I'm just about 200m away from the cabinet in St. Catherine's.

so heres hoping I get a pleasant surprise when they upgrade me! (although at this stage, 15 would be fantastic!)

I'm dying a death here with only 1mbps!! even my o2 3g dongle was giving me 3-4 mbps!!

I had the engineer here today to change me over to fibre,
    I'm getting a steady 14mbps wired/wi-fi,
    I'll call Vodafone tomorrow and ask if they have a cap on my line,
    1 to 14 is some jump in itself though!! I can (almost) live with that.

UPDATE:

Quick call to Vodafone, and within a few seconds, the 15 mbps cap was lifted to 30 mbps,

I'm getting 28.5mbps down & 5.7mbps up on wi-fi now.

Happy Days

• Advertisement

What is Woodland Park like to live in? Is it a big estate? Mostly rented or own people residing there?

Advertisement