Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin West 2014 By-Election Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

folan wrote: »
    I'm not sure, according to the list on the fingalcoco.ie site (pdf) he isn't and as far as i know @Chucknorris can confirm.

That's Castleknock you linked, he is on the equivalent list for Mulhuddart ward.
    http://fingalcoco.ie/media/Notice%20of%20Poll%20Mulhuddart.pdf

edit:
    Also for what its worth, whilst I won't be voting for DMG I don't see why some posters seem to have a problem with him (or others like Ruth Coppinger etc) standing in both elections.
    It wouldn't be an issue if the bye-election was in April or August, so no reason why it should be a problem just because it happens to be the same date as the local elections.
    And seeing as only a max of one councillor (and plausibly none of them) can win the bye-election then it would be foolhardy of them all to just give up their council place like that.
    Arguably very undemocratic of people to even suggest it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

That's Castleknock you linked, he is on the equivalent list for Mulhuddart ward.
    http://fingalcoco.ie/media/Notice%20of%20Poll%20Mulhuddart.pdf

Ah, i see, I was under the impression he was in the castleknock ward! Thanks for the clarification!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I saw an ESB workers taking down posters from lamppost last night on the Clonsilla Rd. Is it legal to put them up during campaigning? An are the parties/canditadates paying for the EBS time, so this is not passed on in our utilities bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

oblivious wrote: »
    I saw an ESB workers taking down posters from lamppost last night on the Clonsilla Rd. Is it legal to put them up during campaigning? An are the parties/canditadates paying for the EBS time, so this is not passed on in our utilities bills?

http://www.esb.ie/main/press/pressreleaseWS.jsp?id=3734
    ESB Networks Safety Notice - Election Posters

ESB Networks warns against using electricity poles as poster sites.

ESB Networks warns against using electricity poles as poster sites for the Local & European Elections.

ESB Networks is warning against the placing of posters on electricity poles/structures during the forthcoming Local and European Elections campaign.

Any unauthorised contact or near contact with the electricity network can result in serious injury or fatality to persons using electricity poles for this purpose. Similar risks apply when posters are being removed.

ESB Networks has previously experienced incidents where election posters have caught fire following contact with the electricity network resulting in loss of supply to customers and damaged infrastructure.

The ESB are removing posters, however a large number of candidates are chosing to ignore the ESB and are placing and replacing posters on ESB poles. I am also aware of a number of canidates who have even gone to their local ESB Depot to retrieve posters.

Personally, I believe that the vast amount of postering has gotten completely out of control and it is time for a proper set of regulations governing the total amount of posters that a canidate may place around their Constituency or Local Electoral Area.

It is also time that the candidates must use a unique and identifable cable tie to affix their poster, so as to stop the "lazy" removal of election material following the election.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

All I can see in my head when I see the ridiculous amount of posters littering the streets

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Perhaps this is a smarter way to advertise yourself as a candidate?

You'll see me around somewhere over the weekend as there is three of these bad boys.

PS: See the posters on the rail to the far right of the image in Clonsilla village? Every one of those are gone as of today. If the council did that (and we had none on the fence by the way), why did the council not feel it necessary to do the same in Mulhuddart village? Perhaps the voter turnout in both areas is a deciding factor?

<SNIP>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

You're pushing your luck there Chuck, dont try it again!

Gaspode wrote: »
    You're pushing your luck there Chuck, dont try it again!

Ok - the Advertising Richshaws might be a cleverer way to achieve what a few hundred posters probably cannot 😉ðŸ‘

Ok - the Advertising Richshaws might be a cleverer way to achieve what a few hundred posters probably cannot 😉ðŸ‘
    Typical Fianna Fail attitude, arrogant as ever.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Typical Fianna Fail attitude, arrogant as ever.

Thank you Pat. It's not a FF attitude, but a suggestion on my part in response to the 'gob****es everywhere' image above.

• Advertisement

Thank you Pat. It's not a FF attitude, but a suggestion on my part in response to the 'gob****es everywhere' image above.
    C'mon chucknorris, I think it time to ease off the ould keyboard for the night as you don't know what typos you might make next ;)

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    C'mon chucknorris, I think it time to ease off the ould keyboard for the night as you don't know what typos you might make next ;)

I'm on the phone Pat ;)

Ps: i'll dodge that subject if you don't mind :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Dave Hall in a spot of bother

Race-based blackmail scandal won’t deter high-profile by-election candidate (via TheJournal.ie) http://www.thejournal.ie/david-hall-blackmail-scandal-1459257-May2014/

I like their optimism using "high profile" in the headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Dave Hall in a spot of bother

Race-based blackmail scandal won’t deter high-profile by-election candidate (via TheJournal.ie) http://www.thejournal.ie/david-hall-blackmail-scandal-1459257-May2014/

I like their optimism using "high profile" in the headline.

I'm pretty sure that newstalk referred to him as a frontrunner.. nonsense either way

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Grudaire wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that newstalk referred to him as a frontrunner.. nonsense either way

Well, he is the bookies joint favourite at the moment, which seems a reasonable way to define 'front runner' in the absence of anything more scientific until the actual poll. So hardly 'nonsense' by newstalk - albeit the top 5 in the betting are all very close.

Hall, Coppinger 15/8 Favs.
    McGuinness 5/2.
    Donnelly 7/2.
    Coughlan 4/1.
    33s+ bar.

I think the bookies are way out on this one. Just because he's a popular talking head on radio shows doesn't mean he's actually popular with the electorate.

Folks he went from 16/1 to 15/8.

He did so because he called PP and lobbed almost €1500 on himself, as he has been only too happy to tell people of.

He seems to be running a popularity contest. His new FB page and his existing Twitter seem only to show him with famous people, or retweeting support from well known people (and who live outside the constituency).

In regards to the weekends story, some of the questions he has been asked under the Journal article suggests there is more to come. He has a lot of media friends so doubtful whether he'll be challenged before may 23rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Phoenix FM are broadcasting election specials, interviewing candidates.

First one is tomorrow night, Tuesday 13 in Castlenock Community Centre.
    Castleknock Ward Election Debate, Castleknock Community Centre, Tuesday, May 13 at 7pm-8.15pm
    EU Election Hustings in association with The Wheel, Croke Park Centre, May 14 at 3pm (broadcast time to be confirmed)
    Mulhuddart Ward Election Debate, St Peregrine’s GAA Club, Tuesday, May 20 at 7pm-8.15pm
    Dublin West By-Election Debate, St Peregrine’s GAA Club, Tuesday, May 20 at 8.30pm-9.30pm
    Live Count Coverage, Saturday May 24 from 10am
    Campaign Trail Series, Weeknights, May 8-9, May 12-16, May 19-21 from 5.30pm-6.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

David Hall is definitely the media's candidate. I had some of his canvassers call to the house last week and they were definitely not from the constituency, so I doubt if he has that much support from those in the constituency. I am just not seeing it with him, can see him finishing 4th or 5th at best.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    David Hall is definitely the media's candidate. I had some of his canvassers call to the house last week and they were definitely not from the constituency, so I doubt if he has that much support from those in the constituency. I am just not seeing it with him, can see him finishing 4th or 5th at best.

They are all young girls (18/19/20) with 'Hall for Dail' T-shirts on.

He has spent a serious amount of money so far and those girls aren't doing it for free.

The odds have changed again, but no Poll has been conducted so it's based on little.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/irish-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=1690283

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Fingal are out in force in Castleknock removing illegally low posters at the mo. About time!

I believe 6:1 news will be doing something on the Dublin west bye-election tonight. As far as I know they may divide up the candidates in to separate sections as it would get messy as seen in the Vinny Browne Euro debate last night with so many.

as seen in the Vinny Browne Euro debate last night with so many.

I gave it a miss after attempting to watch his first attempt at a town hall type program a few weeks ago which was a disaster. Was last night the same ?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I gave it a miss after attempting to watch his first attempt at a town hall type program a few weeks ago which was a disaster. Was last night the same ?

Last night was a shambles. I had to turn it off. They were all bickering and shouting down each other. There was two candidates that were dressed like they were heading down to the pub on a Sunday afternoon.

I haven't seen the Dublin euro debates yet, but hopefully it's more civilised than last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

The final candidate lists aren't going to change anymore: http://www.dublincountyreturningofficer.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=193:list-of-candidates-2014-bye-election&catid=43:dublin-west-bye-election-2014&Itemid=201

Do Fís Nua not realise you need to campaign to get elected!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

They probably on the tinternet some where :P :) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Coppinger, McGuinness, Coghlan and Mulligan on 6.1 now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Coppinger, McGuinness, Coghlan and Mulligan on 6.1 now

No invite for the others ?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The final candidate lists aren't going to change anymore: http://www.dublincountyreturningofficer.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=193:list-of-candidates-2014-bye-election&catid=43:dublin-west-bye-election-2014&Itemid=201

OP updated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Has Coughlan lived in Dublin West for long? Just don't recall anything he has done locally.

Advertisement