Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi-detached v Mid-terrace

Options
  • 25-04-2014 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Myself and my OH recently started looking seriously at buying a house and there are two potentials at the moment - a 3 bed semi detached and a 3 bed terrace.

The 3 bed mid terrace is a new build so everything will be to our taste and specifications.

The semi detached is a house that's approximately 20 years old, it's lovely and closer to the town but one of the cons is that it has oil heating.

We're completely torn!

I know the advantages of a semi detached but can anyone who owns a mid terrace tell me what they find are pro's and con's?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭downwithit

Go with the better location, trust me on this one. You can change the interior and heating in the future but you can not change the location

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

Mid Terrace is better insulated having only two external walls rather than three.

Semi D have a side entrance which is handy for dog/kids bikes etc. Though this can be offset with a rear lane as with many terraces.

Semi D will usually have a wider front and rear garden than a mid terrace due to the side entrance.

Mid Terrace will have better security as there is no side entrance as a potential access point for thieves.

Semi D imo are more attractive aesthetically.

Semi D may have more windows and therefore light. In particular on the stairs/landing.

Semi D may have better sound insulation as it is only connected to one other dwelling, where noise may be heard through walls.

Semi D is more expensive and more sought after and, at least in Dublin, are found most often in more desirable locations.

Semi D will have a smaller attic as in most cases the roof will have three sloping sides rather than two - potentially increasing cost of attic conversion as a Dormo and planning permission may be required for necessary space.

Semi D will have more car parking space in front garden due to greater width.

----

I live in a mid terrace with a rear lane. Attic is converted without a Dormo. Apart from the thinner garden space by the width of a pathway I would prefer terrace overall as I think insulation, extra security and the extra attic space is important. That said, a semi d would be more aesthetically pleasing from the outside and more costly without much tangible benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't even know that the attic would be bigger in a mid terrace which is definitely a plus.

I don't think there's any rear lane and my OH cycles a lot so I think his main con is that he would have to bring the bike etc through the house.

My main concern would be noise issues. @coolemon do you find that is an issue mid terrace?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

IrishAlice wrote: »
    @coolemon do you find that is an issue mid terrace?

Thats such a subjective topic, its completely dependant on the house itself and the neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

how much closer to town and does the semi d house have access to a natural gas pipeline? bear in mind that the semi d will also require more maintenance. Also if you have a new build v a 20 year old one, how long before you would want to redecorate or totally guy the Semi D and what would it cost? I'd imagine the heating bill in a new build semi natural gas v older semi d with oil, would be one third to half the cost...

to be honest I would go with better location and semi d... But it depends on how they are priced etc...

• Advertisement

That's true but I'm just going for a general rule of thumb for the moment.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    how much closer to town and does the semi d house have access to a natural gas pipeline?

The terraced house is about a 5 min drive from the centre of the town, probably about a 25min walk.

Semi d is a 5 min walk, so close you wouldn't bother driving.

There is a gas supply in the estate but a friend of ours who lives there advised that they were quoted about 20k to change over their heating system to gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

on a recent build i can assure you it is an issue, noise that is, and you would be getting it from both sides if terraced.

with certain construction practices you can have the best of neighbours and still experience a lot of disturbance.

A lot of party walls of the recent decade are 9" blocks on the flat, not plastered and 1/2" plasterboard dot'n'dabbed onto either side. this construction really is not good for sound insulation, you will hear a cough through this wall.

the older semi D probably has a better wall construction or at least you only would half to treat one side of the house.

i'm not trying to alarm you but inform you, i would go with the semi every time in better location, the heating upgrade is nothing if you are planning to be there long term!

best of luck in your new home either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

if gas is in the estate you are sorted, 20k seems ott altogether!
    jump into the plumbing forum and see if one of the regulars are near you to get a decent quote from a reputable plumber

if gas is in the estate you are sorted, 20k seems ott altogether!
    jump into the plumbing forum and see if one of the regulars are near you to get a decent quote from a reputable plumber

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated!

We're going to view both houses on Monday evening (2nd viewing of the semi d) so hopefully we can decide then and put in a bid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

My main concern would be noise issues. @coolemon do you find that is an issue mid terrace?

Not where I am (1930's house.) Very rarely hear anything at all.

The 1950's corporation housing in Drimnagh, Crumlin, Cabra etc. are very solidly built houses and you wont hear much either. I lived in one.

Its the newer builds and the very old houses where you might have a problem with noise. But iv never had a problem in the two terraced houses iv lived.

Infact if you lived in a newer semi d you might have more of a noise issue than a 1950's terrace house. So consider each property.

so there is a significant difference in the distance to town centre. Is there much of a difference in the asking price? 20K seems outrageous to install gas by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Semi d all the way... more privacy, people are to near you on a terraced row with front doors side by side..
    I used to live in a terraced house built in 1978 I could hear everything nextdoor...their stairs/Talking/toilets flushing/tv's/Doors closing/light switches...I recently moved to a 1971 Semi and the build quality is far Superior. I don't hear any of those things. all I hear from time to time is interior doors closing next door and that's it.

so there is a significant difference in the distance to town centre. Is there much of a difference in the asking price? 20K seems outrageous to install gas by the way!

Yea there's a good bit of a difference if you were to walk it.

The estate itself that the new house is in is not actually that far out but the new houses are right down at the back of the estate and there's only one entrance.

There's 25k of a difference in the asking prices so I suppose it comes down to how much are the better location and the pro's everyone has listed worth.

I thought 20k seemed on the high side too but maybe they priced it during the boom, I'd hope so anyway!

I was on the plumbing forum and saw prices mentioned between 3-5k... I believe there might also be a E700 heating upgrade grant available. Either way, its not like you would have to tackle it straight away...

I was on the plumbing forum and saw prices mentioned between 3-5k... I believe there might also be a E700 heating upgrade grant available. Either way, its not like you would have to tackle it straight away...

That's a big difference between from what the neighbor was telling us, God only knows where he got that from!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

That's a big difference between from what the neighbor was telling us, God only knows where he got that from!

In my experience plenty of people fail to get more than one quote.

You should always aim for around 5. If one is super cheap or super expensive then I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'm mid terrace and I've never in my life heard either neighbours and they both have kids.

I'm mid terrace and I've never in my life heard either neighbours and they both have kids.
    yeah as discussed, that totally comes down to build quality and amount of noise the neighbours do or dont produce... I would far prefer the feeling of not being hemmed in on both sides if it were me OP, having lived in a terraced house for years and now a bloody apartment...

So we went to see the show house for the mid terrace last night and got to speak to the builder who was there with the estate agent.

We had the poor man inundated but he was very good and gave answers on everything.

He said that the walls in the mid terrace have soundproofing plasterboard (not sure if that's the right phrase? The OH was asking these q's!) and that this should reduce noise levels in the house.

Also asked about Pyrite and any guarantees against it and he said that the foundations have been built a few years so they are getting them all tested and we will get a green cert with the house.

All in all we were very happy with the info we were given. The house will be 1114 sq feet which seems decent enough.

The owners of the semi d cancelled our viewing but we've already been to a first viewing. We're starting to have reservations about this one because the estate agent told us on first viewing that there was a bid 5k below asking price on the house and then rang yesterday before the 2nd viewing was cancelled to tell us that someone had bid asking price that very morning.

It just seems all too convenient! Am I being too cynical?

• Advertisement

It just seems all too convenient! Am I being too cynical?
    better cynical than not, also its impossible to know. Get a friend or family member to ring up and enquire about it and see if they get the same story...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

He said that the walls in the mid terrace have soundproofing plasterboard (not sure if that's the right phrase? The OH was asking these q's!) and that this should reduce noise levels in the house.

What walls? Partitions- between rooms or the party walls- between houses? Unless the detailing is amazing party walls in plasterboard are crap.

fash wrote: »
    What walls? Partitions- between rooms or the party walls- between houses? Unless the detailing is amazing party walls in plasterboard are crap.

The party walls. Sorry I'm not up on the terms yet, it's all very new to me.

They're 9 inch blocks with sound proofing plasterboard on top.

Advertisement