Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower stopped working - bill very high?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I was not looking for advice.

In fairness now, he was not giving you advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Bruthal wrote: »
    In fairness now, he was not giving you advice.

He was, in post 10 he gave me advice on suppliers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

He was, in post 10 he gave me advice on suppliers.

God almighty, its worse its getting.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I dont use pull cords, use double pole switch on wall.

I have to say I prefer a DP switch on the wall outside as well.
    I have seen pull cords damage ceilings.
    I think they look untidy too.
    mcgragger wrote: »
    The RCD will trip if the terminals are scorched and burnt out. So in that case its the switch causing the trip.

The RCD will only operate if the current carried by the phase conductor does not equal the current flowing carried by the neutral conductor. A current imbalance of over 30mA should cause the device to operate.

Therefore it is not likely that a scorched switch would cause an RCD to trip. The exception being in the circumstances that Bruthal mentioned.
    They are specified for safety reasons.

Isolation switches are installed for maintenance purposes.
    A plumber (for example) can isolate a fixed appliance (a shower in this case) and work on it safely, rather than isolating it at the distribution board and expose itself to the danger of a third party turing it on.

Either a pull cord or a DP switch is permitted, it is just down to personal preference and practicality.
    Obviously the DP switch must be located outside the bathroom.
    If you're a sparks you should know where to find the regulations or you're not competent.

I am a sparks (for what it is worth).
    Unfortunately this does not mean that much anymore as the professionalism of some electricians is appalling.
    If you're not a sparks then you are not in a position to talk.

Why? It is a fair question.
    Please read the charter, this forum is for people with all levels of electrical understanding and training.
    Your aggressive tone is not appropriate.
    Disagreements are acceptable and can lead to good debate from which we can all learn. The key is to keep it civilised.
    On this forum we rarely infract or ban people or delete posts.
    We would like to keep it that way, please do not force us to change this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Just to say I got this sorted today.

The electrician found that the plastic on/off switch was completely burnt on the inside. One of the cables was connected incorrectly and this was burnt too. Simmering away - potential fire hazard, he said. The plastic on the cable wasn't cut back enough and that the wire wasn't twisted to compact it so the connection was poor.

Checked usage and couldn't find any problems. I'll have to recheck bills and get in touch with Electric Ireland again.

While looking at the fuse box he discovered that it was missing some safety mechanism if both electric showers are being used at the same time. Both showers are never used at the same time at the moment - it slipped my mind when he mentioned it but I will get him back to fix this.

My house is in an estate in a small town and built 14 years ago during the boom time. In addition to the above poor workmanship, I have recently discovered:

* incorrectly installed integrated dishwasher where the oak door was drilled into the applicance, rather than being attached properly.
    * incorrectly installed integrated fridge freezer whereby the doors didn't have rubber seals - losing electricity.
    * leak in roof after 2 years: original roofers checked it out and lied to my face telling me they couldn't find the problem. Turns out they never put the proper cement on the edge of the tiles.

Thankfully the problem with the electric shower was fixed in time. But it is disappointing though with all the poor workmanship especially as we know the builder well. Sign of the times back then I suppose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement