Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative - Key moments ?

• 25-04-2014 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm doing Sive, Purple Hibiscus and I'm Not Scared for my comparative.

I've never used key moments in answering questions on the comparative but I think I need to prepare some just incase.

How do you choose what is a key moment? And if a questions says mention key moments how many do you use per answer? For Cultural Context for example, do you need a key moment from each text in every point? So 3 key moments for gender roles, 3 more for wealth etc etc

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

A key moment should be a scene/action/happening in the text you are discussing, that supports your point, i.e gives evidence to your claims. I normally try to use a key moment for each text I discuss under every heading eg power, money etc. You don't "have"give a KM for every text but it really solidifies your points which will give better marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

A key moment should be a scene/action/happening in the text you are discussing, that supports your point, i.e gives evidence to your claims. I normally try to use a key moment for each text I discuss under every heading eg power, money etc. You don't "have"give a KM for every text but it really solidifies your points which will give better marks.

that sounds like it's just an example from the text.. surely that's expected anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colour Insanity

LoveLamps wrote: »
    that sounds like it's just an example from the text.. surely that's expected anyway

That's pretty much what a key moment is. :P It's basically a part of the text where your points are glaringly obvious. For example, I'm doing Cultural Context and GVV as my headings. A key moment for both of these is the time where Mena and Thomasheen bully Nanna, and when Mena is giving her "We'd fire embers at the devil" speech, since these both show the bleak condition that the characters are in, and the length they are willing to go to better their social class and get more money. :)

Advertisement