Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Load Testing Software for a windows application ?

Options
  • 25-04-2014 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

The company I work for is developing software for healthcare domain. I would like to know whether there is any sub 10K software or freeware for load / performance testing a windows application, which could simulate 1000 users accessing the software at a time. I looked at HP Load runner, but the pricing is coming to 100K, which we cant afford.

Any help greatly appreciated ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Have you looked at Apache JMeter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭net4hack

I dont think it would work with a windows desktop based application.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

I am somewhat confused confused. How are 1000 users going to be using a desktop application?

Do you mean 1000 people using 1000 seperate installations of the application which communicates back to a centralised server? And you want to simulate this amount of load on that server?

Also if the above scenario is what you are looking at it may be worth mentioning if your desktop application is a fat or thin client.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

But you wouldn't be load testing the desktop part. 1000s of users wouldn't the software from the same computer and same Windows user account.

The backend needs to be load tested and something would need to be configured to hit that up for all it's worth. So, is there some kind of client server setup? Or is it just a fat desktop client talking to an SQL database of some kind or what?

There is a thick client (windows application) part communicating with an application server. So 1000 users would be communicating with the application server at a time via the windows application. Pictures, Videos etc are stored on the server which are pulled by the windows client part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

So what you really want to test is if the server can handle the requests for videos, pictures etc, retrieve and stream them to users etc for 1,000s of users.

You will want to test server memory usage, cpu, network etc

I'm sure you could write something to do this yourself but your best bet maybe getting access to some commerical test suite.

Out of interest why a client in this day/age ?

Loads of softwares that support browser based apps! Only very few for a standalone desktop application. Downloaded Borland Silk Performer 15.0 - Couldnt find a way to test the standalone exe software.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

How complex is your client side and what is your communication method to the server.

The client side is not that complex. The communication method to server is via TCP/IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

net4hack wrote: »
    The client side is not that complex. The communication method to server is via TCP/IP.

I was going more for the method of the messaging eg. REST, SOAP?

• Advertisement
Advertisement