Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Posters

Options
  • 25-04-2014 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Just seen the council taking down election posters on the Outer Ring Rd by the roundabouts.
    Proper order if you ask me. I know it's illegal for them to be within a certain distance but do the candidates involved get fined for putting them there in the first place? I don't think it's right that they do not if they are blatantly breaking the law (surely they should know them rules eh :rolleyes:) and that they council have to pay their staff to do it.
    Anyone any insight on what happens here?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Oh they know the rules but that hasn't stopped a number of partys,

the AAA put up tonnes of posters in Kilkenny & Dublin 24hrs before they were allowed to, I was out and about at 6am and spotted loads of them. I noticed that evening they had gone around to put and stuck a tiny bit of paper on them all about a meeting.

It was so small that even 6 feet away you couldn't read it,

The AAA responded to all of this saying its not a big deal and they believed people won't care, it worry's me that you have people that are so flippant about our laws like that....yet these people claim to be a better alternative.

At the end of the day the best thing to do is if in doubt about a poster legality call the council, as for what happens I'd say they might also be able to shed some light on it if you call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Litter

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭LiamD1977

Noticed the FF ones are all printed in Dublin, suppose its to much to ask that any of them are printed locally. Although I suppose all the big parties get them done centrally.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

A friend I know has a sign business. They were asked to price doing them but couldn't compete. €5.66 each for a poster. Total waste of money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

I'm going to go around the ring roads tomorrow night & vandalise all posters within reach of my 7 foot long pole with a paint roller attached to it.

Politician ****.

• Advertisement

I could see them prosecuting you for vandalising their property and with them getting away with vandalising the view. Tossers

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Any idea as to its they need to be a minium distance from the ground? Out running earlier and constantly had to duck or move to avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Pity theres none of the standard of Clifford T Reid or Kevin Burke down these parts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

The_Shotz wrote: »
    Any idea as to its they need to be a minium distance from the ground? Out running earlier and constantly had to duck or move to avoid them.

Ducking and diving, bit of a geezer :p

p.s. would be happy to see no posters. Let them spend their money on face to face begging for support rather than 'look at me me me' vanity crap. Buzz is wrecked looking at the hungry heads on them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

When can they legally put the posters up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

KevIRL wrote: »
    Pity theres none of the standard of Clifford T Reid or Kevin Burke down these parts

Stop the paedophiles!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Does anyone know if these are allowed in estates? Wouldn't have thought so but seen a few and it's a bit much

Does anyone know if these are allowed in estates? Wouldn't have thought so but seen a few and it's a bit much

I was certain they are not allowed but I've also seen them in estates. Beyond a joke now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

They should hire people to wear sandwich boards of their posters and walk around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

They're allowed in estates that have been handed over to the Council. They aren't allowed on estates that are managed by a management company without permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

AdMMM wrote: »
    They're allowed in estates that have been handed over to the Council. They aren't allowed on estates that are managed by a management company without permission.

Cheers Adam.

It's beyond a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

On a connected point I think it will be some farce if one particular person gets elected solely due to being sentimental.

Also since when can someone take the position of a loved one in their job? So if I pack it my role is kept within the family - sure.

(off topic a little, but...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

mozattack wrote: »
    On a connected point I think it will be some farce if one particular person gets elected solely due to being sentimental.

Also since when can someone take the position of a loved one in their job? So if I pack it my role is kept within the family - sure.

(off topic a little, but...)

Yes, heard he was talking about his father preparing him for when it was time to take his seat...unbelievable. I found it ridiculous at the time that he was bequethed the seat and now expecting to hold it?? Alas, it wouldn't surprise me if he did..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Are we all talking about Adam Wyse here?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

LiamD1977 wrote: »
    Noticed the FF ones are all printed in Dublin, suppose its to much to ask that any of them are printed locally. Although I suppose all the big parties get them done centrally.

Vast majority of candidates got everything done in Dublin. John Cummins used a local printer in the city for his leaflets anyway, as he did in previous elections, Lola O'Sullivan used a Tramore printer and re-used some of her older posters, Damien Geoghegan in Dungarvan got his posters done in Dungarvan though. Everything else I have seen so far seems done in Dublin bar the Independents which I haven't looked at the small print to see!

A lot of the local suppliers don't do mass quantities, and there sent up to Dublin/Cork anyway. A lot of printers would make you believe they do it themselves only to farm it out or give it to other local printers. The posters are probably being ganged together by parties in one order so it's cheaper.

• Advertisement

I work for a courier company and ive seen local printers getting in the leaflets, ready for their customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

LiamD1977 wrote: »

Yeah they'll do it centrally via one company. Probably with the Printed Image or Smurfit Kappa in Dublin. It would be fairly impractical for parties to do otherwise, as they all have a standard format, and it keeps costs down.

I think that Sinn Fein get 75% of their posters for Republic of Ireland elections from companies in the Republic, and 25% in the north. The opposite happening for Northern Ireland elections. However I'm open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

There was a bloke with a long cutters cutting down posters near wlr -Tesco roundabout this morning think they are your man in the wheel chair for FF. On a separate note anybody got a link to find out which councillors are in which ward in the city. And the candidates in the south for Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

AdMMM wrote: »
    Are we all talking about Adam Wyse here?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

decies wrote: »
    There was a bloke with a long cutters cutting down posters near wlr -Tesco roundabout this morning think they are your man in the wheel chair for FF. On a separate note anybody got a link to find out which councillors are in which ward in the city. And the candidates in the south for Europe?

I saw someone taking down posters at the Williamstown roundabout around 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

yjaz.jpg

KevIRL wrote: »
    yjaz.jpg

Brilliant

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Would love to see all parties agree to a max number of posters at the least. In saying that, fair play to the City Council for heavily enforcing it and removing offenders posters on roundabouts, junctions, and so on. I was disappointed to see Cllr Dick Roche erect two large signs on the wall of Norris Bar on Barrack St - a complete breach of planning. Some candidates left it late to put up posters, other candidates had them up before they were even allowed. 18 posters on Ursuline Court roundabout the other evening!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Personally I'd like to see them all agree to not putting any posters, they make the place look at state regardless of the party. They also don't properly remove them.

• Advertisement

Tramore is now a joke. Sinn Fein have came out with local & European posters placing them about a foot above the ground (requirement is 8ft). As if we hadn't enough of other candidates and parties putting them up all over roundabouts and junctions, Sinn Fein continue sticking the two fingers to the legislation.

Advertisement