Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Garda Ransomware

• 25-04-2014 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Hope you can help.
    I picked up a ransomware infection last evening.
    Laptop is totally shut out.

I've been through the threads and been through may attempts to do a fix but have failed using all of the ideas so far.

I cant log in using safe mode either via ordinary safe mode, safe mode with networking, or safe mode with command prompt. If I try any of these the laptop shuts down.

I can't log in by booting via usb, I've tried with an AVG rescue disk and with Hitman Pro. Neither worked.

I can't get into task manager and disable the "explorer" before I get locked out.

I'm at a loss really.
    Is it the repair shop for me?

ACV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

you cant log in with any mode ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

The same thing happened to me and I had to leave it in o a repair shop to be cleared/unlocked. However, it has happened again twice and on each occasion, I just unplugged my broadband dongle and removed the power cord and then disconnected the battery, so the computer totally "died". Then I replaced the battery, powered up and all was good again.

I don't know if the original fix has allowed me to follow this route, but it might be worth a shot, or at least, bear it in mind for future reference in case you do have to go to a repair shop.

Advertisement