Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home insurance

Options
  • 25-04-2014 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Not sure this is the right place 'but here goes My daughter has decking attached to her home at rear this decking was destroyed by sewerage overflowing and destroying the lot' her only access to the rear of her house is across this decking .Insurance assesser came to examine and said i was not covered 'she has accidental damage cover 'can anyone give me a rough idea whether on not it makes a difference if decking is attached to house (which it is ) or not or has anyone come this problem before

Anto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Post split out and moved to new thread in the Banking & Insurance & Pensions forum

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

most policies will only cover accidental damage to the private house itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Was it a one-off incident or is the damage as a result of the sewerage affecting the decking over a period of time

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭tony melia

oldyouth wrote: »
    Was it a one-off incident or is the damage as a result of the sewerage affecting the decking over a period of time
    they were away on holidays for a week and while away drains/sewerage overflowed and flooded under decking and destroyed it

A typical definition of Buildings would be;
    The home, landlord’s fixtures and fittings on or in the home, walls, gates, fences, hedges, terraces, patios, drives, paths, tennis hard courts and swimming pools, all at the situation of the premises shown in the schedule.

On that basis, I would consider them to be buildings, so I'm thinking there might be another reason for turning down the claim. Decking is designed to withstand all sorts of weather, so what actual damage did a week of sewerage on it cause? Is it not just a case of a long power hose?

• Advertisement

A typical definition of Buildings would be;
    The home, landlord’s fixtures and fittings on or in the home, walls, gates, fences, hedges, terraces, patios, drives, paths, tennis hard courts and swimming pools, all at the situation of the premises shown in the schedule.

On that basis, I would consider them to be buildings, so I'm thinking there might be another reason for turning down the claim. Decking is designed to withstand all sorts of weather, so what actual damage did a week of sewerage on it cause? Is it not just a case of a long power hose?
    This decking platform was destroyed but frame is ok this sewage was only noticed recently but could have being overflowing for some time 'they just dont know 'it's only when the smell got strong they began to notice i have attached a photo of it

If anything is destroyed over a sustained period of time it is known as a 'gradually operating cause' and excluded from all insurance policies.

I'm at a loss as to how the platform is destroyed if the frame is intact, given that it would have been immersed in the sewerage. Perhaps it is made of a harder wood.

Was the platform destroyed taking it up to locate the problem? If so, we are dealing with a 'trace and access' situation here.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to nail down the cause to advise you properly

If anything is destroyed over a sustained period of time it is known as a 'gradually operating cause' and excluded from all insurance policies.

I'm at a loss as to how the platform is destroyed if the frame is intact, given that it would have been immersed in the sewerage. Perhaps it is made of a harder wood.

Was the platform destroyed taking it up to locate the problem? If so, we are dealing with a 'trace and access' situation here.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to nail down the cause to advise you properly
    all good points thanks 'just to explain sewerage just spurted up so i don't think this was a gradual thing 'they had to call dynarod to clear blockage and only access was taking apart decking which had to be cut away as most of fittings and screws were badly corroded 'underneath decking had to be totally power washed and disinfected to eradicate smell 'as far as i can see i think the assesser is just chancing his arm 'as i said if you look at photo you will see they have no safe access to rear of house other than over remaining decking which is dangerous
    Anto

Don't mean to be short with you but safe decking, dangerous access etc are of no concern to your insurers, unless it relates to a member of the public. They just want to establish the cause of the damage and match it against an insured peril

I think we are down to trace and access here, which usually relates to burst pipes. In other words, there is provision in most policies to find the source of water escaping from fixed domestic installations, as well as covering the damage the water has caused. Normally, where water comes up is not always where the leak is and insurers will extend cover for the costs of finding the problem

For this section, wording can vary significantly, so if you could let me know which insurer is involved, I'll look at the detail.

Regardless of that, a Loss Adjuster is not allowed just say he is not paying the claim without stating where the exclusion is and the reason for his decision

sorry for not getting back sooner but the insurance company is allianz

ANTO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Call a loss adjuster and see what their opinion is. They are like the opposite of a loss assessor as they try to get as much out of the insurance company when you claim. They ensure you get as much as possible, but they are particular good when an insurance company is dragging its heel and wont pay out. They are independent from the insurance company and your best chance of a claim

Trace and Access on the Allianz policy is as follows;

Trace and Access
    We will pay up to €650 to remove
    or replace any part of the Premises
    necessary to repair any fixed domestic
    water or heating installation
    where water or oil has escaped

I think Hfallada's suggestion of a Loss Adjuster is your best hope

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

hdallada, you are slightly mistaken. Loss ADJUSTER workd for Insurance Company and loss ASSESSOR works for policyholder.

Anyway, I fond it hard to accept that sewerage destroyed the decking. These timbers should withstand a good deal of water. If the screws were corroded, then this is not an 'insured peril'. Even though the timbers had to be cut, surely they could be relaid again? Insurance is not for maintenance, it is for unforseen and unexpected damage. As hdallada suggests, if you are not happy with insurance company decision, get your own loss assessor to try to make a case for you.

Thanks for all your advice will keep you informed 'she has not definate word that they won't pay out 'she is just waiting to hear one way or an other 'if the max is €650 for access and entry then it's not worth claiming her excess is €300 plus she will lose three years no claim bonus

so once again thanks

Anto

• Registered Users Posts: 10 diana123

It depends upon policy type.If you buy a comprehensive policy then it should work for you.

Advertisement