Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What game/games do you always come back to?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    XCom and Terror from the Deep on the PC and PS, you're only man.
    Gollop is a genius.
    Try Ghost recon on the 3ds next

Have been meaning to get ghost recon and commandeer one of the kids 3ds'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Soul Reaver 1, 2 & Legacy of Kain: Defiance. Don't think i'll ever get sick of playing them.

Most CoD's, recently gone back into BlOps 2 and i'm intending on getting diamond camo on everything before CoD 2014, just SMG's and Pistols to go.

• Every single Half Life game and mission pack.
    Oh and for some odd reason Dungeon Keeper 2, Doom (Brutal Doom my most recent visit), Counter-Strike & Total Annihilation

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Dawn of War. Between myself and my son we've around 1,000 hours sunk into the first game and its expansions. We don't have a problem, just good taste. :P

Years ago before I was a Steam user, I used to continuously come back to Medieval Total War 2. The modding scene for it was (and I think, is) fantastic and the game was polished to a truly wonderful state by the work of many fans of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I'm gonna say Championship Manager 01/02 on pc.

I've lost serious amounts of time to that game since it launched. Tried other one since and none match up to it imo.

Have played less of it lately but yeah it's a game I keep coming back to alright.

Tekken 3 , PS1 and the original Tekken Tag , PS2. Love both of these.

Street Fighter 2. Nuff said.

Some shumps and sports games NHL in particular is a love of mine. The latest iteration with the classic mode from '94 is gonna be the main reason my 360 goes nowhere just yet!

Edit... Nearly forgot Lylat Wars. I have an N64 hooked up pretty much solely for this game. Soooooooooo good even today. Plays perfectly. Please release a new one on Wii U Nintendo. Please!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Every single Half Life game and mission pack.

Same here.I must have played HL2 to death at this stage.I get bored with latest releases and just start HL2 from the beginning again.

It never gets old.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Recently gone back to playing Abe's Oddysee since I never did beat it when it first came out. I still remember the parts that frustrated the hell out of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Quake 3 Arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

When around in my mates for a few drinks , Mario Kart 64 always comes out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Command & Conquer: Red Alert.

Guaranteed to be the first game installed when I get a new machine. Incredibly replayable time and time again, particularly in skirmish mode and with the Yuri's Revenge expansion. I would love to know how many hours I've clocked in playing this game.

• Advertisement

• Quake 3 Arena.

Too right, excellent LAN game too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Too right, excellent LAN game too

Played it, via the modem, on the Dreamcast!
    A bit juddery but it was over a 56k connection.
    Quakespy wasn't it, the system for playing Q3 online?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Resi 4, FIFA, Pokemon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Baldurs Gate 2.

Definitely my go to game. It's got a brilliant story, with some of the best side quests and characters in any game i've played. I've replayed it so many times, with so many different character combinations. It's just got so much going for it, with a massive world. Has kept me entertained for more hours than i'd like to count.

I still can't bring myself to be evil in it though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Without fail it's Final Fantasy VII. Still one of my favourite games many years on.

Oblivion is one, though I'd go back to Skyrim more and more as mods improve.

Lastly, and I'm not even slightly ashamed to admit it. I still play Pokemon games when I'm in the mood. Either on my phone with an emulator, a DS and sometimes an old old old GameBoy advance.

If I still played pokemon my post would be the exact same as this. I'd give Final Fantasy VIII a mention too but for the first two discs only, the whole time travel/Edea good guy storyline is a bit shít.
    The only reason to keep trying to finish the game is to collect all the cards (the card game is weirdly addictive)..

Fallout 3 is good for a few days too if only for the excellent music in it..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,532 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

super mario world !!

love going back to play that , i also started playing zelda , a link to the past , again recently.

i also play bubble bobble, shinobi and the new zealand story from time to time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bubble Bobble is simply a perfect game, like Tetris on the Gameboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

When I'm back at my folks with the Wii

- Zelda AlttP: Maybe my favourite game of all time.
    - Secret of Mana: Likewise and that music
    - Starfox 64. Great for a quick play through

PC Games: I only have a laptop and some games aren't suited but
    Baldur's Gate 2: Fantastic game and I still stumble upon something different every time
    Deus Ex/Thief:
    Broken Sword

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I don't think I'll ever not play Severance: blade of darkness, dark souls (maybe dark souls 2.. i dunno, jurys out), the Stalker series and blood.

i actually cant play blood atm because my bastard monitor is too big, the game looks like ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I'm another one that will never stop playing Half Life, either 1 or 2. I'm constantly replaying them.

Another one for me is Zelda Link the the Past. I just adore that game and have it saved at different stages on emulators on many different devices, my phone, tablet, my kids NDS, the Wii, my PC and there's probably others that I have forgotten. Every time an SNES emulator becomes available for something, I start Link to the Past all over again. :)

R-Type is another one that I go back to constantly and have it in many forms across devices. You can never destroy enough of the evil Bydo empire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tonto24

CALL OF DUTY!!!! Any 1 of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Bubble Bobble and Snow Bros. 2 on the cab, they're just really addictive games that I've never lost interest in since I was a kid. Street Fighter 2 / Mortal Kombat 2 / Double Dragon / Chase H.Q. / New Zealand Story / Daytona USA / Virtua Racing / Point Blank & loads of others still get a good look-in too.

The Mario games on the Nes and SNES are a given, don't think there's been a year where I haven't played them. Mario Kart 64 I always return to, even if I don't like it as much as the SNES version but it has it's charm (and it's goddamn rubber-banding)

PC-wise, the Payday & Left 4 Dead games I always return to. I've returned to Payday 2 every night where they've added a huge amount of stuff since I last played a few months ago and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. It's a great game when you have the right team and everything executes perfectly, be it stealth or all-out war against the cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,566 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

For single player, I've replayed GTA 3/VC/SA more than any other game and despite looking like crap now, the playability, feel and humour never gets old for me.

For multiplayer, CoD 2. Spent many an hour playing a modded version on some random german server with bladder pains because I forgot to pee.

• Anyone mention Super Metroid & Donkey Kong Country? Both cleared about 5 times and even the missus loves Donkey Kong Country.
    Recently purchased one of the unofficial Super Nintendo Controllers for the Wii. It's the shiznits.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Half-Life 2 + Eps
    Stalker series
    Gothic series

Currently playing Gothic 3 for the third time (bearing in mind we are talking Skyrim levels of hours to play through). The world, the music, the exploration, the character progression makes the frustrating but challenging combat easy to live with. With community patch installed gaming perfection for me. My desert island game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Polar101

Warcraft 3 - don't usually like to replay games, but WC3 is different.
    Mass Effect 1 - started another playthrough.

I hardly ever finish any games, but these two I did quite a few times.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Minecraft for me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

You know one game id love to try and see if it still has the same appeal.

Unreal Tournament..the first one.

That was the FPS that got me into online gaming.Been meaning to fire it up again and see if theres any servers still around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Terraria (build build build), Morrowind (still can't understand the oblivion love), Alpha Centauri (Civ in space with customisable units?), Freelancer (just awesome fun, particularly with some of the mods out there), Civ 5/4 (5 was very different to 2-4), Mordor 1.1(I have to VM XP for this one :P) and Earthseige 2 (Another VM job, but so very very worth it.)

Those are the tops of my list, there's a fair few more I come back to intermittently when I'm in the mood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Further to Red Alert earlier, I always install Quake on any new machine. Particularly Quake rally mod which can easily eat up hours and hours of my life.

Advertisement