Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thievery in Balrothery/Balbriggan

Options
  • 25-04-2014 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Just spoke to a Garda and a neighbour outside the house.
    Apparently there is a maurauding band of thieves with Northern Reg vans breaking into sheds and attempting to increase their stock of power tools.
    Balbriggan Garda station number is 01-8020510 if you see anything.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I put down the wheelchair ramp on the MPV at about 11.30 yesterday morning and went back into the house to get the young lad leaving the back of the car open about 5 minuets later when we came out and someone had been in the car and taken all the change I had in the door pocket and the kid's mp3 player out of the glove box along with a pack of fags, I'm not sure if it was a kid or not but whoever it was they were risking a lot for next to nothing :confused: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That's crap Fergal. Sorry to hear that - especially about his MP3 player. FFS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

My neighbour 2 doors down is a builder, I'm in Balrothery also, he was done about 3 or 4 weeks ago, they stole a heap of tools from his white van - he just told all the neighbours to be vigilant and keep the eye out....

Another neighbour across the road house was burgled a week or two before that also...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

My sympathies to any victim.
    Some years ago, my locked boatshed was raided and.........I know they're "only tools" but, God, it was heartbreaking! My aircraft tools; outboard motor; air compressor (a leaving present); woodworking tools and, most precious of all, some handmade tools I had inherited from my late grandad. All were stamped with my (or my grandad's) initials and none were ever seen again.

Remember when you were learning to drive and the instructor told you to expect and be prepared for idiots trying to crash into your car? Well, we also need to expect and be prepared for scumbags trying to rob your stuff.

I'm not a great fan of off-the-shelf alarm systems in sheds, preferring to build my own unique (and unpleasant) deterrents. I'm guessing that many readers of this thread will have the skills to do likewise. Details are not required but it is important to let your neighbours and friends know that "something nasty and painful" will happen if you break into my shed. Pretty soon, this information spreads from your honest neighbours and friends and into the scumbag layer. Nothing like lack of information to scare people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Thats crap to hear.
    From what I was told is that these guys aren't afraid,Broad daylight with people in the house.
    The thing that really annoys me is that these scum are only supplying to a market.
    As long as people continue to buy stuff that has questions over their origin then there is market.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

bcmf wrote: »
    The thing that really annoys me is that these scum are only supplying to a market.
    As long as people continue to buy stuff that has questions over their origin then there is market.

Couldn't agree more......

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

I'm not for a minute saying anything in the Balbriggan market is stolen, but there always seems to be a lot of power tools for sale in that market on Sundays.

bcmf wrote: »
    Thats crap to hear.
    From what I was told is that these guys aren't afraid,Broad daylight with people in the house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Lots of gardai in skerries over the weekend...think they traced some of this stolen stuff to a house there.

kaisersoze wrote: »
    I'm not for a minute saying anything in the Balbriggan market is stolen, but there always seems to be a lot of power tools for sale in that market on Sundays.

I have never been and never plan to go over.

So someone was in my car last night or as I suspect very early this morn (about 4.30 as I was awoken from my slumber then) .
    Came down at 5.30 as usual to find the inside lights on in the car.
    When I went to the car I saw the reading lights on and the light on for a door open.
    As I was resetting the service light last night I initially thought I had left them on but when I started driving something struck me that it wad the readi f lights that were on - I very rarely use these lights.
    A quick realisation that it was the passenger door that was left open . All they got was a bottle of Hugo Boss smelly water.
    Be careful out there.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

Does anyone know if there is a gardai text service or community alert in Balbriggan where you receive a txt to warn of dodgy fella's around?

I read somewhere there was something like that in other areas.

Community Alert organisations operate for rural areas. There is one in the Blackhills. I'm sure that there would be a Neighbourhood Watch for urban areas in Balbriggan. The guards would have the contact details.

kaisersoze wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a gardai text service or community alert in Balbriggan where you receive a txt to warn of dodgy fella's around?

I read somewhere there was something like that in other areas.

If your coming in the first exit from the m1 southbound and go down the little road to the immediate right towards the Balrothery Inn there is a new community alert sign on the left hand side of the road with a text number on it, definitely new as it wasn't there Sunday night when I took the same road....

I'll try get it next time I pass, its just on the left before where the market on the right does be...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Only reading this now.I actually rang the Garda this morning because I seen a van, outside a clothing bank.Yellow reg plate.Guy had a load of tools and wires inside the van.The opening was partially covered by a old Sheet ?
    He had a beige mac coat on him.
    He had a tin of paint? and what looked like a big battery.I just thought it strange.

He was there on my way over to Skerries, and still there on my way back.What he was doing I don't know, but its a long way to travel to recycle your clothes and Bottles?
    I dont know if thats any help, it was about 8.45 this morning on the Skerries road from Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Just heard there were a few houses broken into in Balruddery Woods, big Garda presence here Friday morning. Please Report anything suspicious to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

detones wrote: »
    Just heard there were a few houses broken into in Balruddery Woods, big Garda presence here Friday morning. Please Report anything suspicious to the Gardai.

Wasn't robbery related on Friday morning unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Just to warn those in the skerries area, I spotted a van (Toyota hi-ace) going in and around the cul de sac's of Skerries Rock last night - amazingly they never found the place they were 'supposedly looking'. I rang the Gardai but they sent nobody. It was a 03 MH reg, didn't get the rest unfortunately. 3 men who looked rather suspicious.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Just to warn those in the skerries area, I spotted a van (Toyota hi-ace) going in and around the cul de sac's of Skerries Rock last night - amazingly they never found the place they were 'supposedly looking'. I rang the Gardai but they sent nobody. It was a 03 MH reg, didn't get the rest unfortunately. 3 men who looked rather suspicious.

Also there was a few <mod edit> [people] knocking into houses with clipboards last week in my estate, and all were "well dressed" oddly enough, they were probably selling driveways or some nonsense but I noticed they were taking notes of people not answering the door, dubious...

I rang the boys in blue to take a look and they arrived an hour and 10mins later and they had gone a few mins at that stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭witty username

I'm in Castlelands, Balbriggan. My shed got broken into on thursday night, they stole a red/white Specialized Rockhopper MTB and an American Classic 420 front wheel.

I'm in Castlelands, Balbriggan. My shed got broken into on thursday night, they stole a red/white Specialized Rockhopper MTB and an American Classic 420 front wheel.

4 cars stolen up beside castlelands and surrounds last night, 3 of them Micra's oddly enough...

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »
    4 cars stolen up beside castlelands and surrounds last night, 3 of them Micra's oddly enough...

Jesus, swine...

Here a similar pic to my ex-bike anyways in case it rings any bells (mine had white grips and handlebar), it was actually a Hard Rock, not a Rockhopper now that I look at pics...they also tried to get the side door of the house open btw. Keep those doors locked everyone...

DSC00017.jpg

Jesus, swine...

Here a similar pic to my ex-bike anyways in case it rings any bells (mine had white grips and handlebar), it was actually a Hard Rock, not a Rockhopper now that I look at pics...they also tried to get the side door of the house open btw. Keep those doors locked everyone...

Update on this: bike is back home safe after appearing for sale on adverts.ie, suspect in custody, many thanks to Balbriggan Gardai

Happy Days!!!!

Advertisement