Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

Options
  • 25-04-2014 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

I am going blind (no awww please ... it happens)

I will be undergoing surgery to try to slow the process down but I do find it difficult to distinguish things that are dark or in bright light these days.

I have decided to try a new telescope OR good binos for casual sky watching. Just curious if anyone has experience of similar problems and what they would suggest/advise?

OR are my astronomy days over and should I stick to paleontology?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Maybe something without a central obstruction, to increase contrast, (or to avoid losing it).

Just a thought.

It might help with picking out the stars in the field of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Thank you Kersh.

A nice refractor you thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Ye, that would be my thinking.

Preferably a doublet to combat CA, but big ones are expensive, but a nice big achromat would be good.

There are 90mm to 150mm widefield F5 ones out there, and there are also 90mm to 150mm F8 to F10 ones more suited (but not restricted to) planetary and lunar work, and smaller DSO's.

Just a few ideas to get you thinking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Brilliant Kersh thank very much

Advertisement