Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate signage Fingal rights

Options
  • 25-04-2014 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Came home one day to find a plastic sign with with our estate name attached to our red brick wall right in front of our house. There is already a granite sign for our estate. I called Fingal and asked were they allowed to drill into my wall (5 holes) and I was told they never ask when putting up a sign! Anyone know what my rights are regarding signage surely they must ask first? We certainly would not have said yes as its an awful cheap badly made illuminous sign....Should I pursue this? tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

mayfly757 wrote: »
    Should I pursue this?

I most certainly would!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You'll probably find that they can put approved signage on exterior walls of private dwellings. Think about downtown properties on streets with no gardens - there will be street signage attached directly to the houses.

Otherwise the local authorities would need to install poles for the signage everywhere, which wouldn't be a cost-effective way of spending taxpayers' money.

Mind you, I was in Balbriggan last week & saw street signs on poles. Stupid IMHO. Not to mention that they have a really crap red & green motif which makes it very difficult for me to read as I am partially colorblind. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Mind you, I was in Balbriggan last week & saw street signs on poles. Stupid IMHO. Not to mention that they have a really crap red & green motif which makes it very difficult for me to read as I am partially colorblind. :o

Think those green and red balbriggan signs were pushed by the Balbriggan town council people when they were improving the town a few years back , as they are the town colours or something.

OP, hard to imagine what the sign looks like, plastic???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Even if they're within their rights, you'd think they'd contact people first just out of courtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Even if they're within their rights, you'd think they'd contact people first just out of courtesy.

Agreed but sure ya know, if you asked people to do anything they'd probably get nothing done!
    Won't be long now until our signs have postcodes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

mayfly757 wrote: »
    Came home one day to find a plastic sign with with our estate name attached to our red brick wall right in front of our house. There is already a granite sign for our estate. I called Fingal and asked were they allowed to drill into my wall (5 holes) and I was told they never ask when putting up a sign! Anyone know what my rights are regarding signage surely they must ask first? We certainly would not have said yes as its an awful cheap badly made illuminous sign....Should I pursue this? tks

Far be it from me to encourage boldness of any sort but.....I could loan you some screwdrivers. They worked silently and effectively for me when FCC decided that the corner of my garden needed a glow-in-the-dark sign. You fit the screwdriver into the "head" (technical term) of a screw and (important) turn the screwdriver anticlockwise. Repeat on the remaining screws until the sign falls off the wall. Once on the ground, the sign becomes litter so you must dispose of it in an environmentally friendly manner. Luckily, FCC provide green bins for this very purpose.

I also have "spanners", just in case FCC fitted some screwdriver-proof bolts. Directions as above.

PS: I'm working on a plan to remove those speed bumps that appear overnight in the most ridiculous places. By any chance, do you have a JCB? I already know a man with some spare tarmac, for final smoothing out.

BrensBenz - I don't think that Bob the Builder toolkit will do the job. :p

On a serious note - removal of any such signage could constitue an offence, damage of council property & all that.

tHB

Posts removed & thread closed before people make any any further incriminating comments.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement