Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

colm_mcm wrote: »

Can you smell that? It's the new guy...

Why is this car only two grand.

(note how I specified that I am new to save myself from a barrage of noob comments)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

9bred4 wrote: »
    Can you smell that? It's the new guy...

Why is this car only two grand.

(note how I specified that I am new to save myself from a barrage of noob comments)

Its an 8 year old Fiat.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Nice looking Honda, shame about the colour but at this price range its pretty much run what you get.

Colour would be a plus for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Its an 8 year old Fiat.

And.....

9bred4 wrote: »
    And.....

They're never worth big money ;)

Grande punto is a nice car to be fair. At the time (05ish) it was probably the most grown up car in that sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

DAZP93 wrote: »

The first one is with a dealer who does not have the best reputation.
    unkel wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch the first 2, big risks there. The last one is good value though. Check the VIN and a Saab forum to see if it has the updated breather kit. If not check service history and / or drop the sump and / or take a gamble :)

For sale 30 days though, perhaps he only recently dropped the price to a realistic level and had no interest before?
    I saw that car on donedeal a few weeks back - had no NCT but the same price. I think it is the NCT which now makes it a tempter.
    DAZP93 wrote: »
    Cheers unkel..

I think for €1000 I'll take the chance :cool:

Are there any tell tale signs to keep an eye on for a dodgy one?
    Have a look for the updated breather kit. Also if you remove the oil and get a coat hanger you can have a scrape at the sump to find sludge. If the garage are honest and know about this issue they might let you/ a mechanic do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Colour would be a plus for some.

Colour wouldn't appeal to me too much. Would just remind me too much of the Megane Mk 1 Coupe of the original new Beetle that launched in around 99. Different strokes for different folks though and the color alone wouldn't stop me driving it.

The motor tax on it makes it a really cheap car for what it is in fairness..

Do you not remember the Jordan Civic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Nice looking Honda, shame about the colour but at this price range its pretty much run what you get.
    Usually Im not a fan of yellow but I think it really suits these :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagon-beetle-nct-serviced/7079609?sv=1

hmm my OH would love this, does it qualify for this thread?

• Advertisement

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-95-vector-estate-new-nct/8101610

I dont know why but i got a good feeling about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Winters coming and what better vehicle to tackle bad conditions than a Turbo Forester?
    NCT and a small bit of tax
    Few scuffs by the looks of it but nothing that would stop me driving it.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-forester/804098834786490.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

It's amazing the difference a well written and informative ad can make.

That should be a great purchase. Is that the sludge engine? I still wouldn't be too worried if there's been oil changes as regularly as he says

It is indeed but i suspect it has the upgraded crank case breather system which solves the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

From what I've seen, I'm never buying a Swedish car. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Was expecting to see edd China as the seller!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That should be a great purchase. Is that the sludge engine? I still wouldn't be too worried if there's been oil changes as regularly as he says

If it had 5k oil + filter changes with fully synth oil all its life, it will never develop the sludge issue. Looks like a cracker of a bangernomics car.

You going to have a look at it, toyotaavensis?

If it had 5k oil + filter changes with fully synth oil all its life, it will never develop the sludge issue. Looks like a cracker of a bangernomics car.

You going to have a look at it, toyotaavensis?
    I am tempted but would prefer an aero. Not sure.

I am tempted but would prefer an aero. Not sure.

Aero has more poke but it's till a FWD Vectra :pac:

Saabs aren't built for the twisties. Have you driven a 9-5? Plenty of good things about them though and superb value for money as bangernomics!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

The silver 2004 Saab 9-5 I posted last night for €1250 is sold unfortunately.

Onwards and upwards - Keep your eyes peeled.

Dont fancy traveling to far this time, anywere in the general Munster area is about as far as I'm willing to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

The interior of a Saab 9-5 is streets ahead of most cars! My 9-5 estate, soon to depart, has one of the best quality leather interiors I've seen. 14 years old and very little wear! A friend has an 07 c-class and the leather,or whatever it is,is in bits!

Yes the interior is very well put together. Well wearing and on a par with premium cars like BMW, Audi etc. And you haven't even mentioned the cupholder yet, 93cab :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

What has a 1.9 XUD engine
    4wd
    7 seats
    And is in bangernomics territory?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-tata-safari-4x4-ncted-taxed/8116334

Ssangyong drivers will laugh at you though.

Has anyone had the pleasure of driving one of these? Are they as bad as their value would let on? There's an '08 up for 2k there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

Yes the interior is very well put together. Well wearing and on a par with premium cars like BMW, Audi etc. And you haven't even mentioned the cupholder yet, 93cab :D

You've just reminded me I've a spare walnut dash c/w cupholder in the shed! Another thing to clear out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Has anyone had the pleasure of driving one of these? Are they as bad as their value would let on? There's an '08 up for 2k there as well.

thats a new one on me, Tata for that!

Saabs aren't built for the twisties. Have you driven a 9-5? Plenty of good things about them though and superb value for money as bangernomics!

You know that the 9-5 never had a GM engine until the 2009 model. It always had the old saab engine so it is not a vectra. It is built on the same platform but saab seriously modified this and got 5* in the NCAP tests when opel only got 3* with the same platform.

And yes I have driven a good few 9-5's.

The turbo petrol engine (2l / 2.3l) is technically not even a Saab engine ;)

The 9-5 drives like a Vectra though, denial is futile :p

Triumph designed it about 50 years ago. SAAB redesigned it a few times. IMO that makes it a saab engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

You know that the 9-5 never had a GM engine until the 2009 model. It always had the old saab engine so it is not a vectra. It is built on the same platform but saab seriously modified this and got 5* in the NCAP tests when opel only got 3* with the same platform.

And yes I have driven a good few 9-5's.

Whatever way you like to dress it, it's still got those GM underpinnings, it's still on a lengthened version of the vectra platform. Kudos to Saab for achieving a 5 star euro ncap with this platform but no amount of modifications in the world could shake off the 9-5's vectra like handling :p

• Advertisement

And the safest car NCAP had ever tested at the time! Indeed not bad for a car on the same platform as the 1987 Vectra A :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Bawnmore wrote: »

Yes. They're AWFUL. I can't emphasis that enough.

Also you should note the 06 one has the updated front while the 08 has the old front. I'd imagine this has more to do with it sitting around unregistered/unsold.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Yes. They're AWFUL. I can't emphasis that enough.

Also you should note the 06 one has the updated front while the 08 has the old front. I'd imagine this has more to do with it sitting around unregistered/unsold.

There were a a hape of ones sitting around that got converted to commercial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

When saab were taken over by General Motors they told to use GM parts but twerps that Saab were they only used about a third of what They could. They had the worst of both worlds because the customer thought " its an opel underneath" but they got none of the cost savings because they developed 2/3rds of the parts themselves. Source - Top Gear Saab tribute show from about 2 years ago. Okay i admit it im a saab anorak.

Mind you i can see im in good company with you lot

• Registered Users Posts: 18 andym16

Just wondering would any of these be suitable for a first car. Would prefer a focus as you can see but am open to other suggestions. I can't paste links unfortunately.

www.cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus/8114788

www.cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus-new-nct/7641230

www.cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/02-ford-focus-taxed-tested/7814208

car 1 only got pics of one side of the car which could be laziness or damage on the other side
    It doesnt have the original radio so the contrls on the steering wheel wont work and isnt the highest spec. No aircon but if you got it for 1100 and it was in good nick not bad at all.

car 2 nct is a bit short here. I would be looking for about 9 months on the car given the new rules about when you can test a car

car 3 short test galactic milage and a nasty dent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

There were a a hape of ones sitting around that got converted to commercial.

And even then they couldn't be sold. I remember a load appearing as commercials and pre-regged around 2008. I think they were shoved into no reserve auctions in the end to try and shift some of them.

I know a few garages local to me refused to repair Tata Loadbeta's back in the day as they simply couldn't keep the sh!t heaps repaired. Parts were a pain to get and they ended up taking up space for weeks on end. Mechanics got sick of customers taking it out on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 andym16

car 1 only got pics of one side of the car which could be laziness or damage on the other side
    It doesnt have the original radio so the contrls on the steering wheel wont work and isnt the highest spec. No aircon but if you got it for 1100 and it was in good nick not bad at all.

car 2 nct is a bit short here. I would be looking for about 9 months on the car given the new rules about when you can test a car

car 3 short test galactic milage and a nasty dent.

Yeah wasn't even considering car 3 just seeing what is around at the minute but thanks for the advise on them

'05 Lexus GS300, asking €2,300 but if the seller is realistic he'd be a fool to refuse €2k in cash for it

A lot of car for the money, low miles, well built, but bad tax (€1,500)

Linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

/do want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'03 9-5 estate 2.3
    Test Nov '15
    Tax End Dec '14
    Asking €750
    There is a catch so it may not count.....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-9-5-vector-estate-2-3t-2003/8133649

35213222.jpeg

• Advertisement

W123-80's wrote: »
    There is a catch so it may not count.....

A c'mon you're wasting our time now :(

You know full well from all the posts over the years about the sludge issue on the 9-5 that that engine is fecked so the car is worth no more than scrap money...

Sorry don't want to be harsh, but you got me all excited until I read the ad :)

You know full well from all the posts over the years about the sludge issue on the 9-5 that that engine is fecked so the car is worth no more than scrap money...

The check engine light is probably a sensor or DI cassette. Car is far from scrap and sludge wont be an issue as it has had the turbo replaced the sump cleaned and the updated crank case breather fitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Fair enough.. Kinda knew I shouldn't have posted it.
    I was dazzled by all the test etc...

The check engine light is probably a sensor or DI cassette.

Neither of us can say for sure, but I have a feeling the seller knows full well what the story is.

Turbo gone means the engine was probably already mortally wounded at that time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Awww I missed all the saab talk :( :pac:

Toyotaavensis, That wine 9-5 is you stuck actually a good buy, the guy has a thread over on backroads if you want I'll link it to you

Neither of us can say for sure, but I have a feeling the seller knows full well what the story is.

Turbo gone means the engine was probably already mortally wounded at that time...

I'd bet money that it's the throttle body, I've gone through three on mine so far :o

Also how rude of me not to post a car, If i had 800 i'd be all over this, no nct though, and the tax well....:rolleyes:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-9000-cse-2-3-turbo/7908374

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

A poster on backroads.ie is selling it been very well looked after from reading the project and for sale threads on there.
    Could put your mind at ease about buying a cheap enough Saab:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Also how rude of me not to post a car, If i had 800 i'd be all over this, no nct though, and the tax well....:rolleyes:

Cameraman is a midget. No wonder he's selling it:; he can't reach the pedals:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Suspension has been lowered, not enough ground clearance for the shíte roads I drive.
    Nice looking 9000 though but I don't like slammed suspension.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement