Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Call me a bitter cynic but I'd be very apprehensive about considering a diesel Ford with that kind of mileage up on it...

The only way I might consider it is if I knew owner/s throughout its life were OCD perfectionist people that were sticklers for sticking rigorously to service intervals and all the same was documented and presented to me...

Edit: You can take diesel out of the above; Ford full stop; petrol or diesel...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

2000 grand today, how much in the future in fixing up the damn thing.

No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Call me a bitter cynic but I'd be very apprehensive about considering a diesel Ford with that kind of mileage up on it...

The only way I might consider it is if I knew owner/s throughout its life were OCD perfectionist people that were sticklers for sticking rigorously to service intervals and all the same was documented and presented to me...

Edit: You can take diesel out of the above; Ford full stop; petrol or diesel...

I've a 2009 Mondeo 1.8 tdci. Just about to hit 290,000km. Serviced every 20k without fail. The only thing that's gone wrong was the DMF at 240k. Hardly a ford specific problem, apart from that its been faultless.

I'd recommend one to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've a 2009 Mondeo 1.8 tdci. Just about to hit 290,000km.

Long distance driving down the country is a bit easier on the car than start stop taxi driving in Dublin though!

That said, 240k out of a DMF is good going by all means :)

I wouldn't touch that taxi myself. Plenty of other similar cars available with a fraction of the mileage for only a few hundred more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I've a 2009 Mondeo 1.8 tdci. Just about to hit 290,000km. Serviced every 20k without fail. The only thing that's gone wrong was the DMF at 240k. Hardly a ford specific problem, apart from that its been faultless.

I'd recommend one to anyone.
    Charle, you are one of the few and rare people in Ireland that have a well documented and up to date full service history of your car.
    Believe me, its a rare thing. Especially on a Ford or other such main stream cars like Toyota. Please don't think I am putting your car down (or your car make) but generally, the Irish public motoring population don't do servicing well.
    The popular makes (Ford and Toyota) in Ireland are driven by the masses. You, I and most of the other readers on this thread are motor heads or petrol / diesel heads. The general public will service a car when the car makes strange noises or smells hot (as a work colleague said to me once).
    I have no doubt that the car you have (whatever it is) has good service history and is motoring well. However, I can see exactly why others would be apprehensive about a taxi with over 200k miles on the clock in Ireland. Please don't think I am against your car, car make or anything of the sort, it just a observation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

To be fair that focus is probably ****e but you never know until you stand in front of it. It could have a taxi driver who actually minds his car driving it. Some of that sort of taxi driver do exist.

Two mondeonomics and a lagunanomic with test to 2016 mid 2016 and 2016
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo/8005777
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-ford-mondeo-platinum-model/8080270
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-laguna-1-6-2006/8137783

'07 Mondeo for €1,500 asking - that's cheap! Ad is 20 days old, why would that be?

We had a discussion about that dirty Laguna a few posts up :)

I think I was looking at it yesterday (not sure if it was the same car but i think it was) and the ad said 2500 which would explain why its not sold yet.
    At this price I would give it til Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I wasn't suggesting for a second someone should buy that Focus, I was just highlighting the slight generalisation by a previous poster regarding the reliability of Fords in particular and my alternative experience.

I agree that the masses in general only bring their car to the garage when something goes wrong.

I worked in the motorsales trade for a number of years and saw loads of examples from both ends of the spectrum, 2-3 year old cars with 20-30km that required thousands in recon costs as well as 7-8 year old cars with 100-150k km that I'd have retailed in the morning were it not for the mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I wasn't suggesting for a second someone should buy that Focus, I was just highlighting the slight generalisation by a previous poster regarding the reliability of Fords in particular and my alternative experience.

I agree that the masses in general only bring their car to the garage when something goes wrong.

I worked in the motorsales trade for a number of years and saw loads of examples from both ends of the spectrum, 2-3 year old cars with 20-30km that required thousands in recon costs as well as 7-8 year old cars with 100-150k km that I'd have retailed in the morning were it not for the mileage.
    Yes, I agree, I was trying to highlight the same point in a Guinness fueled haze. You just did it better than I did.

• Advertisement

Charlie in fairness I wasn't intentionally generalising about Ford in particular. I made my statements with reference to the car which was under discussion - which was a Ford. My same statement would hold true for other brands and if it was for example a Renault I would have inserted the same comment - only difference being I would have replaced the word Ford with Renault - here though we are discussing a Ford though.

I'm not saying all Fords over a certain mileage or indeed the one thats being discussed here are scrap or anything like that. I believe I very much qualified my comments by saying only would I be happy to go with the car if I knew for certain that it was maintained and serviced at proper recommended intervals and not delayed.

Reason I say that is Ive seen and heard of too many Fords be it family members cars/ neighbours/ friends/ cars my local mechanic would have worked on and we chatted about over a pint etc. and they were all problematic sh!t boxes, many with mileage much lower than the Focus in the link - what was a common theme? None would have had an up to date service records and in many cases if not all unknown histories.

Any individual car can be a lemon -its a chance you take when you buy a used car irrespective of the mileage. Some would say the same holds true for a new car you buy even. Thing is if looking at used cars that don't have service records and you don't know jack about the previous owners you are taking a risk. Fair to say you are blindly making certain assumptions that the car was serviced to a greater or lesser degree and taking a chance on that basis and what you see and examine in front of you. Ford is one model in particular that I would not be happy to take that punt on at that mileage and that price. Other brands that have being good to me and Ive heard better stories about. Certain makes/ models just aren't as inclined to crucify you if you were to let servicing slide - again I'm taking a chance on them but I could live with myself more easily and have that bit more peace of mind - as afore mentioned though I could be unlucky here also but am going on the balance of probability anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

Opinions on this Focus? And can anyone shed light on why people cover the reg plates in pics of the car? Cheers

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-ford-focus-1-6-zetec/7953491

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

It's on uk plates, so probably part of the reason for the coverage.

Also looks like it might have had a bit of a prang too, the lines around the front wings/bumper & bonnet don't seem to be very even. I would say the paint looks badly matched but its probably just shade playing tricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Opinions on this Focus? And can anyone shed light on why people cover the reg plates in pics of the car? Cheers

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-ford-focus-1-6-zetec/7953491

Yellow plates..

That add is annoying. Every sentence in capitals with !!! After line... Can't read it !!!
    He has three other cars and a trampoline, all with capitals and !!!

Gawd...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Seweryn wrote: »

No NCT...

bear1 wrote: »
    No NCT...
    Yep... Got tired reading before I got that far down the ad :o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Facelift punto with sunroof and service history

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-punto-04/8157446

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Seweryn wrote: »

That car is scrap. Reading between the lines he is basically telling you that. His annoyance probably stems from several people telling him that.

Waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

Seller sounds like a complete twat above all things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

commited wrote: »

Tested to January is hardly worth talking about.
    If its worth spending a grand on, it should have been worth the owner getting a new test on it. Imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

mickdw wrote: »
    Tested to January is hardly worth talking about.
    If its worth spending a grand on, it should have been worth the owner getting a new test on it. Imo.

You may have a point but a lot of people won't even try sticking it through the NCT, I've had a good few cars that were bought with short NCTs and needed nothing to go through. Considering there's tax on it and FSH, it's cheap enough to warrant a look. The pre-facelifts are starting to look quite shabby though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

commited wrote: »

why,why, do these people never put up the mileage. whats the big ****ing secret.....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

A chap told me once that the cheapest pre NCT checkup,was the NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

True.

Aye. The man was right. Only €28 and it will tell you all that needs fixing. And if nothing needs fixing, it's free :)

Agree with that. The biggest waste of time and money is so called a "pre-NCT Test" that a garage may offer.

Do your own visual two minute check-up, i.e. lights, wipers, tyres for wear, etc. to eliminate an obvious fault, and then bring your car for the test. If they find any fault in the car, just get it fixed.

Do you just show up at the test center or do you need to make an appointment? Never had it done before so it's the first time I'm hearing of it.

• Advertisement

make an appointment by emailing them bookings@ncts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

bear1 wrote: »
    Do you just show up at the test center or do you need to make an appointment? Never had it done before so it's the first time I'm hearing of it.

I was wondering who would be first to go up for Unkels hop ball.... :cool:

A great time for buying a convertible as they are very cheap right now :D

MR2, long NCT, asking €2,050

35239715.jpeg

Linky

MX-5, long NCT, asking €1,300

35075386.jpeg

Linky

Why would someone spend €2k on the MR2 when the MX5 is considerably cheaper and generally much better?

(from me reading up on them a few weeks ago, they are anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Why would someone spend €2k on the MR2 when the MX5 is considerably cheaper and generally much better?

(from me reading up on them a few weeks ago, they are anyway)

The mr2 is a better car. The mk2 mx5 has absolutely terrible rust protection. Rotten chassis legs is becoming an increasingly common problem on them, a very dangerous problem too.

some also say that the engine is in a better place in the mr2

I wouldn't think the MR2 is spectacular value. Mind you it looks clean in fairness and mileage is low. Beware though even though the ad is 4 days old I have seen it for sale for quite some time. The have a tendency to let in water. Push the seats forward and and feel about on the carpet for damp patches.

The MX5 would seem to be on for good money. I believe rust can be a major issue with that model so get down and dirty and have a good nosey underneath if viewing. Better still get it up on a ramp if possible...

some also say that the engine is in a better place in the mr2

Maybe but if your switching about between the MR-S and a front engined car it can be dangerous to say the least. Maybe it because I'm more used to it but I find the Avensis a lot more predictable....In real world terms I do make progress a lot quicker in it.

At very high motorway speeds the MR-S gets pretty light at the front, scary really at times truth be told...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I wouldn't think the MR2 is spectacular value. Mind you it looks clean in fairness and mileage is low. Beware though even though the ad is 4 days old I have seen it for sale for quite some time. The have a tendency to let in water. Push the seats forward and and feel about on the carpet for damp patches.

The MX5 would seem to be on for good money. I believe rust can be a major issue with that model so get down and dirty and have a good nosey underneath if viewing. Better still get it up on a ramp if possible...
    You need to get the mx5 up on a ramp and take the wheels of and look for soft spots in the chassis. The chassis on these is made up of thin layers of metal. Condensation builds up between these layers which causes rust to develop.

Sometimes You might not be able to see the rust on the surface but inbetween the metal could still be rotten. Solid looking examples have fallen to bits upon being poked with a screw driver due to this. As it's caused my condensation+ poor rust protection, even garaged examples can have a rotten chassis too. The underbody in general, arches and sills should all be checked thoroughly too as these are all weak spots in these.

Tbh I'd opt for something like an Mr2 instead of one because it will be much easier to find a good rust free example and it will last much better in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

• Advertisement

That car has only 3 weeks NCT left, JJJJNR. I wouldn't even bother going to see it tbh. Too much risk. Plenty of fish left in the sea.

At very high motorway speeds the MR-S gets pretty light at the front, scary really at times truth be told...

Yeah, my MGF is exactly the same. I rarely take it over 120km/h. Light 2 seater mid engined rwd cars are for the twisties, where they excel!

Baby supercars :)

I get why some people would prefer the setup of the MX-5 though. Very litte weight over those driven wheels => easy to let the rear break out and do a bit of driftin'

Done deal down for anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭bonaparte2

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

unkel wrote: »
    Yeah, my MGF is exactly the same. I rarely take it over 120km/h. Light 2 seater mid engined rwd cars are for the twisties, where they excel!

I get why some people would prefer the setup of the MX-5 though. Very litte weight over those driven wheels => easy to let the rear break out and do a bit of driftin'

The weight in a mid engined car can shift from the back wheels to the front under braking which makes the back end lose grip and pass out the front wheels if you get your braking wrong going into a corner. The mk2 MR2 was particularly prone to this. The mx5 is much more predictable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

unkel wrote: »

Little weight, but also very little power. Herself has good tires on hers (Michelin), roundabout, go in fast enough, stick in in 2nd, floor it....nothing.
    You'd want crap tires and a wet road or try and boost that engine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Taking the word bangernomics at it's most literal. :)
    Having said that, I like it a lot, I don't know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Which of these are better.. (just looking for a mk2 sporting, it has to be a sporting)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/punto-1-2-16v-sporting/8122865

or

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-punto-sport-1-2-6-gears/8154111

just window shopping until Feb/March

bottom one has less milage and is 2 years newer, so id assume it to be the better car.

What would be a realistic price for a mk2 fiat punto anyway?

• Advertisement

I'd personally go for the black Punto. Looks much nicer and has a longer NCT and a bit of tax left. Also 250e cheaper.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement