Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Hal1 wrote: »
    Back to bangers...
    How about a 90's Corolla? http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1991-toyota-corolla-13-months-nct/7781457

It had a full respray 4 years ago according to the seller.
    Nct 12/15, claims of tax until 2/15.

location Cork
    Price €1750

And not a very good one either by the looks of those pics. Wouldn't pay near the asking for it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    And not a very good one either by the looks of those pics. Wouldn't pay near the asking for it tbh.

Sad thing is there are some idiots out there that will because its "boxy". Like the DX model Corolla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Sure a lick is a lick :pac:. It didn't do a lot for the car, it's probably covered in orange peel. Maybe it was a diy job and he just lost interest with it. If it's solid enough mechanically it would be a good little car for a year or so with the nct it has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I thought it was just me :(

But the important thing is if - the body is rust free etc.

its weird looking at a 3 door Corolla of that vintage that isn't a 1.8 diesel VAN or the 1.6 Gti 16.

Even when NEW back in 1991 - it would have being unusual to see the 3 door Corolla as a passenger car with the 1.3 petrol engine.

They sold LOTS of the 1.8 diesel van version from what I recall - was quite common at the time to run a van as a normal car - so there was lots of Fiesta vans, Peugeot 205 vans and stuff as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/8008990
    Peugeot 607 for sale!!

Any opinions on this guys?
    Has it appeared before and I just missed it?

No nct so doesnt belong here... ( Out since Nov 7) Fixerupper...

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

No nct so doesnt belong here... ( Out since Nov 7) Fixerupper...

Sorry 😳
    Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Old diesel wrote: »

its weird looking at a 3 door Corolla of that vintage that isn't a 1.8 diesel VAN or the 1.6 Gti 16.

Even when NEW back in 1991 - it would have being unusual to see the 3 door Corolla as a passenger car with the 1.3 petrol engine.

They sold LOTS of the 1.8 diesel van version from what I recall - was quite common at the time to run a van as a normal car - so there was lots of Fiesta vans, Peugeot 205 vans and stuff as well

This is from the era when the 1.4 petrol was the undisputed king of Irish motoring. As long as it was Japanese, small and had a small petrol engine as well as the absolute minimum in extras, it would fly out the showroom. Those where the glory days of paddy spec.non metallic paint, keep fit windows, no central locking, no tinted windows, tiny wheels, never alloys, but it came as standard with a radio, solemn novena sticker, bottle of holy water, saint Anthony medal and padre pio sticker. Back then, when you saw a big merc, it had a Nissan diesel engine. 90% of cars where small to midsize Japanese, 1.4 petrol. The rest where high ace vans. Ireland was not a car country back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

T90% of cars where small to midsize Japanese, 1.4 petrol. The rest where high ace vans. Ireland was not a car country back then.

Eh 90%? Not sure where your getting that figure but if your going to throw out a figure like that you would really want to qualify it. I'd say that small to medium size Japanese cars were very popular but to say 90% of cars were small to mid size Japanese cars with 1.4 petrol engines is just so factually incorrect. Also, not sure what a car country is but not sure if you'd say Ireland is a car country then or now any more or less than any other country is a car country.

Anyway, a banger:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/seat-toledo-tdi/8251468.

I wouldn't be their number one fan but if its going well I certainly would drive it. Only throwing it in because they do have a following out there too and it is a bit different form the usual choices. 6 months NCT were told but no mention of mileage so can only assume its on the high side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Eh 90%? Not sure where your getting that figure but if your going to throw out a figure like that you would really want to qualify it. I'd say that small to medium size Japanese cars were very popular but to say 90% of cars were small to mid size Japanese cars with 1.4 petrol engines is just so factually incorrect. Also, not sure what a car country is

Ah it's only a bit of chat..

This is from the era when the 1.4 petrol was the undisputed king of Irish motoring. As long as it was Japanese, small and had a small petrol engine as well as the absolute minimum in extras, it would fly out the showroom. Those where the glory days of paddy spec.non metallic paint, keep fit windows, no central locking, no tinted windows, tiny wheels, never alloys, but it came as standard with a radio, solemn novena sticker, bottle of holy water, saint Anthony medal and padre pio sticker. Back then, when you saw a big merc, it had a Nissan diesel engine. 90% of cars where small to midsize Japanese, 1.4 petrol. The rest where high ace vans. Ireland was not a car country back then.

Oh god yes - theres no doubt that in 1992 the 1.3 Corolla was on every street corner in Ireland.

The saloon probably sold enough on its own to give best selling car status

It was the 3 door hatch version of it that was VERY rare.

The odd thing is that 3 door versions of the Kadett and Golf Mk 2 - two contemporary would be often seen on the roads.

Its like as if Toyota Ireland only had a certain amount of 3 door hatch slots at the factory - so ordered them all up as 1.8 diesels so they could be converted into vans.

The diesel conversions were a laugh - there were 2 BMW E12 5 series in my parish alone with Nissan diesel engines in them - I think there was an E21 3 series in one of the neighbouring parishes with a Nissan diesel in it too.

Also remember seeing a right hand drive Renault 25 with a Mk 1 Renault Traffic diesel engine - recognised the sound of it driving around.

WTF were people thinking

• Advertisement

Oh and sorry for going off topic

Ah it's only a bit of chat..

I understand and wouldn't have said anything if I thought dr.fuzzenstin was close to the mark but I reckon his figure of 90% is so far of the mark its just banannas. I'm just continuing the chat....

Oh and sorry for going off topic

No worries. :D
    There was a Jaguar XJS here with a Nissan diesel engine and there still is a Mercedes 450SEL with an engine from a 300D. In other countries people stick V8's into Fiat 500's, we're doing it the other way round, stick tiny little engines and underpowered diesels into massive land-yachts.

I understand and wouldn't have said anything if I thought dr.fuzzenstin was close to the mark but I reckon his figure of 90% is so far of the mark its just banannas. I'm just continuing the chat....

It was 86.64%.:p

It was 86.64%.:p

Citation needed....well your the one with the German sounding name and ye Germans do tend to sell yourselfs on being so accurate, efficient and exact!;)

Anyway I'd have hazard a guess at 58.62% myself:D

2000 Reg Merc C180 1.8 litre Automatic with 140k miles and tested until April, 2015. Has got to be worth the asking

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/00-mercedes-automatic/7841876

Has got to be worth the asking

Unless there is a python loose inside it, thats a seriously good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

35788555.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v70-2-0-t/8251255
    01 V70 estate, NCT to sept 15, €750

This looks to be a stonking deal assuming nothing is hugely wrong with the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Belt and pump done too. And serviced. Tested only about 6 weeks ago. Must be one of the best bangernomics finds ever!

commited wrote: »
    35788555.jpeg

Stonking deal if everything is legit. I had one a few years ago and it was brilliant. Still my favourite car for a long journey ( done Spain - UK about 6 times in it) Plus the fact that NOBODY will believe it cost so little.

• Advertisement

Stonking deal if everything is legit. I had one a few years ago and it was brilliant. Still my favourite car for a long journey ( done Spain - UK about 6 times in it) Plus the fact that NOBODY will believe it cost so little.

Nobody believes that I paid 700 for my 02 S60 last year. Although that V70 has a (slightly) longer nct than mine when I bought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

35788555.jpeg

What's happening in the passenger foot well?

What's happening in the passenger foot well?

footwell lights shining on the logo stitched into the mat.

I'd love a good condition 3dr corolla of that vintage tbh. Imo it's nicer looking than two models the two models of 3 door corollas that came after it. As you say they are rare though with most being saloons in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd love a good condition 3dr corolla of that vintage tbh. Imo it's nicer looking than two models the two models of 3 door corollas that came after it. As you say they are rare though with most being saloons in this country.

There's an LHD irish reg one near me for sale for small money.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There's an LHD irish reg one near me for sale for small money.

Thanks for letting me know Colm. Unfortunately I don't have the space for it at the moment though. If I had I'd probably go for it tbh.

• Advertisement

Another bargain Volvo
    35792003.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s80-nct-08-15/8251930
    Volvo S80 2.0t, 99k, Tax 5/15, NCT 8/15 - €1850
    It looks in absolutely superb condition and looks like it's the SE model too. If I didn't currently have 5 cars I'd be all over that (and the V70 above).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

Do you not think a car like that needs an automatic gearbox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Do you not think a car like that needs an automatic gearbox?

Of course, it's a barge. It'd be fairly peasant spec in manual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Might be worth a look.
    Test August '15
    Auto
    Asking €2,000

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-e200-2003-reduced-for-quick-sale/8235981

35711990.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

W123-80's wrote: »
    Might be worth a look.
    Test August '15
    Auto
    Asking €2,000

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-e200-2003-reduced-for-quick-sale/8235981

35711990.jpeg

but:
    Most recent Vehicle Registration Certificate issued on : 30/10/2014
    Transferred to an Individual on : 23/10/2014

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

W123-80's wrote: »
    Might be worth a look.
    Test August '15
    Auto
    Asking €2,000

That's such a bad bad ad it'd put me right off. Photos are all over the place and the description doesn't inspire any confidence either.

Those early W211s are meant to be fairly brutal reliability wise too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Those early W211s are meant to be fairly brutal reliability wise too.

Maybe, but that car is nearly 12 years old, has done over 230k km and has recently passed the NCT. Can't really be a lemon, can it?

A bit strange that Kevin insists on using 3 different mobile numbers in his ad though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Jonblack

That's such a bad bad ad it'd put me right off. Photos are all over the place and the description doesn't inspire any confidence either.

But you know what it looks like in the dark.

A 1.8 engine with a Merc body that size is what would be inclined to put me off more than anything. Always thought 2.0 was the lowest capacity petrol in em and that wouldn't be up to too much

A 1.8 engine with a Merc body that size is what would be inclined to put me off more than anything. Always thought 2.0 was the lowest capacity petrol in em and that wouldn't be up to too much

Since 03 the e200 kompressor is a 1.8. Doesnt set the world on fire, but its reasonably effective at hauling its hefty body around. 26 real world mpg would put me off though. But if you dont do many miles, how bad can it be. :cool:

Isn't that 1.8 supercharged in the E class????

They call it Kompressor or something like that afaik

• Advertisement

It's supercharged giving 163bhp which is fine for the size car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

Volvo S40 1.8 Classic 4DR
    Full Cow
    Claims of F.S.H.
    NCT Jun 2015
    €1950 - a little pricey ?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s40-1-8-classic-4dr-f-s-h/8247148

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/99-toyota/8271979

yaris with t and t for 250.

One picture, taken from the passenger window of a transit by the looks of it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Interslice wrote: »

yaris with t and t for 250.

One picture, taken from the passenger window of a transit by the looks of it....

He must have forgetton the 1 before that.
    Taking the picture from a passing car... I'd be very dubious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

bear1 wrote: »
    He must have forgetton the 1 before that.
    Taking the picture from a passing car... I'd be very dubious.

Car and paperwork would need close examination!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

Just Scrappers trying to flip before they collect i'd suspect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

or a lad advertising what he robs before he robs it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭littlevillage

That Yaris advert .. :-)

Maybe it was a bad day and he didn't want to stand outside photographing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

or a lad advertising what he robs before he robs it

Not very good at it so....250yoyo's.......lot of hassle for the dough:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement