Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You can reach the passenger door no bothers!

There's a strange utilitarian charm to the c1/aygo/107

The base aygo was the same general spec as that but I never ever sold one and we never took one into stock. We only ever got the mid spec aura model with elec windows, remote central locking, rear speakers etc.

Same here, I was selling Peugeot when the 107 came out.

The electric pack was €400 iirc. Never had a base model in the showroom, any stock ordered all had the electric pack and we never openly sold/actively dissuaded customers from ordering the base model because there was a 12 week lead time on them.

I like the 107/C1/Aygo. Lot to be said for cheap, basic motoring. Lot of fun in trying to keep up momentum.

First Tiida on here?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-tiida-4-door-saloon/7906247

I wouldn't drive one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

First Tiida on here?

Cheap motoring but dull dull dull!!!

I sold 2 new 7 years ago and I still feel guilty about it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

Cheap motoring but dull dull dull!!!

I sold 2 new 7 years ago and I still feel guilty about it!!

Imagine how the people who bought them are feeling...

Had one for a few weeks as it came in full of petrol and was taxed. 1.6 petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-automatic-tax-and-tested-1-owner/8264705

35881490.jpeg

CarsIreland says its all legit. 1 owner, dead cow, tax and test for 1300 notes :O

1 owner in Ireland...

Maybe it was the same owner in the Uk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

1 owner in Ireland...

Maybe it was the same owner in the Uk.

The ad says 1 owner from brand new. Was it imported recently or years ago?

Don't like these tricks to make you think it is 1 owner from new tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

unkel wrote: »
    '06 Saab 9-5 2.3 turbo auto, low miles, 1 owner, high spec, just serviced, NO sludge issues, NCT 06/16, asking €2,295 (I very much doubt he'll refuse €2k cash)

Linky

A bit strange though that the seller (who has 4 cars for sale, so probably a small time trader) mentions the timing belt was changed. The car doesn't have a timing belt :rolleyes:

Checked NCT, it is in fact 03/16, but carsireland confirms it's a 1 owner car and indeed the high spec 185BHP linear sport as claimed.

funny no mention of how many owners it had in the UK though. OY imports start 7xxx.
    Fully loaded spec includes:-

No dead cow in a Saab: heresy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Leather is overrated too imho. Cold in winter (unless heated), hot and sticky in summer (even with a very good AC). Sure, it's easier to wipe the puke off if you have small children - so they say. As a father of 3 young children, there's only been 1 puking accident in my cars in 10 years. That was a car with cloth, but the puke projectiled straight onto the carpeted floor :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

Heated leather is awesome though.

wonski wrote: »
    The ad says 1 owner from brand new. Was it imported recently or years ago?

Don't like these tricks to make you think it is 1 owner from new tbh.

He's selling this too
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/renault/megane/2006-renault-megane-for-sale/6966821
    This one has a harmon kardon surround sound system, the accord has a Bose surround sound system, must be really into his sounds,

Lavender motors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Moneymaker wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-automatic-tax-and-tested-1-owner/8264705

CarsIreland says its all legit. 1 owner, dead cow, tax and test for 1300 notes :O

looks like it's taken a fair slap at the back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

First Tiida on here?

Ya know Colm,sometimes walking is just the better option. I know I would:P

Aye, but there's value there for sure, clean it up and flog it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Aye, but there's value there for sure, clean it up and flog it

I couldn't do that to another human being

Decent looking 2.2HDi 406 coupe with quite low mileage...... the recent turbo would be a plus if done properly...... 12 month NCT.... seller has no other adds up but mention of may swap or px raises an eyebrow, not one to travel too far for perhaps

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-406-hdi-coupe-new-test-price-drop/7861145

Augeo wrote: »
    the recent turbo would be a plus

Maybe it's me, but if I see that a turbo was recently replaced, I'd run a mile.

• Advertisement

...... the recent turbo would be a plus if done properly...... ...
    Maybe it's me, but if I see that a turbo was recently replaced, I'd run a mile.

If done properly there is nothing to worry about. Establishing that can be a challenge admittedly.

I did mention properly but you chopped that when you quoted, quite rude imo.

Perhaps I should have explained. I'll give you a hint. The turbo was replaced because it failed. Why do you think it failed? ;)

Perhaps I should have explained. I'll give you a hint. The turbo was replaced because it failed. Why do you think it failed? ;)

Of course it was replaced as it failed, they don't last forever. And if was the work was performed by a reputable garage or indeed a capable mechanic as a favour than there would be nothing to worry about.

No need for the condescending tone, being a relatively new poster with a low post count is no reflection on my technical knowledge, the opposite also applies.

You're calling me rude, condescending and ignorant. Perhaps you should have put more of your energy in trying to understand what my point was instead of the defensiveness and name calling :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You're calling me rude, condescending and ignorant. Perhaps you should have put more of your energy in trying to understand what my point was instead of the defensiveness and name calling :rolleyes:

i think he understood your comment. he merely called you up on quoting him out of context.

it looks more like he is viewing the car in a glass half full scenario, where as you are viewing it as a glass half empty.

I appreciate what you're trying to do stepping in there and I know you mean well, Toyotafanboi :)

But I don't think he understood my comment at all. It has nothing to do with the fact the turbo was replaced properly or not. I never suggested that or even thought that.

My point is very simple. A replaced turbo in many cases is bad news. The most common reason for turbo failure is lack of lubrication. If that caused the turbo failure then the engine was quite possibly damaged too.

I'm not a mechanic and I know very little about cars but this is clear to me. Maybe it should be clear also to some people around here who reckon they have great technical knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yep too many cases of turbo being replaced and underlying cause not being identified. Too many 'mechanics' thinking they got a faulty turbo when the new one fails immediately.
    I would therefore be very wary also when I see mention of new turbo and car being sold on.

I appreciate what you're trying to do stepping in there and I know you mean well, Toyotafanboi :)

But I don't think he understood my comment at all. It has nothing to do with the fact the turbo was replaced properly or not. I never suggested that or even thought that.

My point is very simple. A replaced turbo in many cases is bad news. The most common reason for turbo failure is lack of lubrication. If that caused the turbo failure then the engine was quite possibly damaged too.

I'm not a mechanic and I know very little about cars but this is clear to me. Maybe it should be clear also to some people around here who reckon they have great technical knowledge.

I understood your comment 100%, good of you to admit you know very little about cars, that coupled with your crystal ball being faulty isn't a good combination.

mickdw wrote: »
    Yep too many cases of turbo being replaced and underlying cause not being identified. Too many 'mechanics' thinking they got a faulty turbo when the new one fails immediately.
    I would therefore be very wary also when I see mention of new turbo and car being sold on.

Hence why I remarked on reputable garage etc. That car is in Clonakilty, I'm in west cork myself and know who is who in local garageland

For every 'mechanic' that's clueless theres multiple forum "experts"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Hence why I remarked on reputable garage etc. That car is in Clonakilty, I'm in west cork myself and know who is who in local garageland

For every 'mechanic' that's clueless theres multiple forum "experts"

Why did the turbocharger fail after 125,000 miles?

jimgoose wrote: »
    Why did the turbocharger fail after 125,000 miles?

I wouldn't hazard a guess.... Could be numerous reasons, folks here are convinced it seems that the problem was oil starvation and that a new turbo was slapped on without diagnosis etc so the new one will start smoking on the drive home after purchase.

• Advertisement

If done properly there is nothing to worry about.

I am trying to see how some people can't understand the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Is it possible to open ANY thread on boards without people facking arguing ??

Just an observation ! Even in this thread ( a former fav of mine) it has crept in.
    Disappointing .

I apologise for my contribution, I rarely post in motors for the very reason you mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I wouldn't hazard a guess...

Neither would I. Next!!

I apologise for my contribution

Perhaps you should apologise for your arrogance. And not again claim to be the technical expert when in reality you know less than most of us amateurs in here.

Anyway - back to bangernomics:

6 Seat Multipla - diesel - long NCT - just €800 asking!

36015141.jpeg

Linky

I couldn't believe it so I checked. NCT and carsireland verified. This must be one of the best bangernomics threads of the year.

Needs a wee wash though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

There was two of you in it, at least he apologised at all.
    Talk about arrogance.

CianRyan wrote: »
    Talk about arrogance.

Some people claim they have a lot of technical knowledge. It seems sometimes they haven't ;)

I have little or no technical knowledge about cars, only a little bit of experience that has come with my age and with having not a lot of money available to spend on cars while having a very strong urge to still own and drive nice and or interesting cars :)

Perhaps you should apologise for your arrogance. And not again claim to be the technical expert when in reality you know less than most of us amateurs in here.

I have nothing to apologise along those lines. Interestingly it seems you are stating I know less than you technically.... Yet I am the arrogant one in your eyes :)

Your reading comprehension skills are appalling also, you have many new years resolutions to choose from :)

Btw, how would you ensure the original turbo is in place on that multipla ? :)
    Bit of a quandary there.

I apologise for my contribution, I rarely post in motors for the very reason you mention.

Wasn't singling out anyone- I didn't read back more than 4-5 posts as it's pointless bolloxx - moderators arguing doesn't help the thread either though IMHO .

Come on boys and girls - this thread is valuable and enjoyable .
    I also believe it's helped people stay mobile during hard economic times-!

Leave the egos at the door and dig out the bangernomic motors!

being a relatively new poster with a low post count is no reflection on my technical knowledge

I'm not convinced your technical knowledge is great. You have posted nothing to convince me otherwise.

In fact your obvious unfamiliarity with turbo problems, fixes and underlying causes of the problems leads me to think you don't know what you are talkiing about.

• Advertisement

I'm not convinced your technical knowledge is great. You have posted nothing to convince me otherwise.

In fact your obvious unfamiliarity with turbo problems, fixes and underlying causes of the problems leads me to think you don't know what you are talkiing about.

Still no sign of any Bangernomic motors then Unkel????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Some people claim they have a lot of technical knowledge. It seems sometimes they haven't ;)

I have little or no technical knowledge about cars, only a little bit of experience that has come with my age and with having not a lot of money available to spend on cars while having a very strong urge to still own and drive nice and or interesting cars :)

Pollos. best place when you're drunk. :pac:
    Well, turbos are the whizzbang little whirligig gizmos that go round really, really fast going Weeeeeeeeeee! and they make the car go faster.
    After a turbo has done that for many, many miles, they get very tired and have to be taken out and send to the turbo hospital, where the whirly, whizzy-bangy things get taken out and new,shiny ones are getting put in.
    Some foolish people with more money than sense even go the main dealer and say "put a new one in there, boss!", upon hearing this, the main dealer immediately books himself a holiday, usually skiing or maybe three weeks in the Bahamas.
    (Sorry, nothing against you, just funny mood tonight ;):p)
    Anyways, if a car with high mileage has had a turbo replaced or reconditioned, it wouldn't worry me in the slightest. You might as well say "Oh no, it's had shocks, springs and brakes replaced, that's a bad sign!"
    However, if a car has had three turbos within 10000 km and it's only done 50000 km, yes, then you would be fully justified in saying "wait a minute, that doesn't look right".
    My own car has done over 300k km and one job I have planned for next year is the turbo, because it's starting to whine. Is that a sign of something worse wrong with the car? Nope, normal wear and tear.

Eh yeah, did you not spot the Multipla I posted?

Lol, you can gather all of that from posts on here while admitting you know nothing/little about cars technically.

I'm thinking you're under the influence of drink and will get your rubbish deleted by your mod colleagues when you read it tomorrow.

What part of fixed properly are you struggling with?
    You than post a diesel multipla and think its car of the year, some lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

agJIP.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Wow, 2 pages of handbag bashing.
    Recently the Motors forum has started turning into the AH forum. The lad who was questioning the late fee for the NCT, the dashcam thread and now this one.
    The turbo failed, it can happen and for whatever reason too. The seals could go for example and if caught in time no engine trouble will pop up. If there is any engine damage it wouldn't be very difficult to spot.
    Anyway back to bangers:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-316-taxnct/8301593

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-punto/8301331

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/00-ford-focus-ghia/8301203

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-panda-low-millage/8259517

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Lol, you can gather all of that from posts on here while admitting you know nothing/little about cars technically.

I'm thinking you're under the influence of drink and will get your rubbish deleted by your mod colleagues when you read it tomorrow.

What part of fixed properly are you struggling with?
    You than post a diesel multipla and think its car of the year, some lad.

I have no idea how someone like him even becomes a mod :)

any danger of some bangers being posted? This isn't really the place for handbags or the ins/outs of mod selection. Nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement