Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

with reference to the superb above. I think that was posted before. I remembered the gammy driver side rear wheel. suspension damage or major abuse from pulling horse boxes or other trailers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

That Kylemore crowd seem dodgy as **** too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

06 407 with NCT til 02/16 €1795
    Always preferred the look of the 406 but thats a nice chunk of NCT for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭W123-80's

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If that car is genuine, its a bloody brilliant boring bargain banger..:pac:
    Full year test to boot.
    No Charisma to be sure, but for a family short on cash looking for mid sized car.. its a decent option..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2001-130-tdi-audi-a4-nct-4-15-priced-to-sell/8308395

For those that aren't put off by the high mileage. Body would seem to have a few flaws here and there but in spite of all this my gut tells me its an honest and straight car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

cruizer101 wrote: »
    06 407 with NCT til 02/16 €1795
    Always preferred the look of the 406 but thats a nice chunk of NCT for the money.

Gone ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

don't let the recovery wagon in the background cloud your judgement :P

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-coupe/8304965

2 litre auto Hyundai Coupe, 03;
    121k miles;
    recent timing belt change;
    2 or 3 months test;
    Asking 1k

Mind you I think there are two different shades of grey on that nearside door...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

The steering wheel looks like it has done 220k...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭W123-80's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

^^ good find. Always liked that version.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

He actually kept every tax disc! That alone is impressive. Mine go in the bin. Herself keeps them in the holder, so theres about 25 discs stuffed in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

He actually kept every tax disc! That alone is impressive. Mine go in the bin. Herself keeps them in the holder, so theres about 25 discs stuffed in there.

I do that as well, for some reason! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

jimgoose wrote: »
    I do that as well, for some reason! :pac:

I've all mine since new too.
    Might just convince a buyer that I was obsessive about keeping everything just right.
    Of course it shows that it was taxed always without gaps etc so imo a worthwhile thing to keep.

I have no intention in keeping my tax discs... don't need to see how much I've spent in tax over the years :D

• Advertisement

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-coupe/8304965

2 litre auto Hyundai Coupe, 03;
    121k miles;
    recent timing belt change;
    2 or 3 months test;
    Asking 1k

Mind you I think there are two different shades of grey on that nearside door...

they are actually a nice car, particularly for that price. they look good, the spec is good, they are ok to be in, just a shame the engines are a bit crap.

some high mileage nomics:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-c-class-c180/8311398
    not mercedes benz finest moment apparently, but i'd say that car would clean up to look quite good.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus-2006-1-8-diesel/8307826
    this looks good too. fairly "up in the years", ghia spec, daysul, bit of damage at the rear, but a decent car most likely that wouldn't break the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus-2006-1-8-diesel/8307826
    this looks good too. fairly "up in the years", ghia spec, daysul, bit of damage at the rear, but a decent car most likely that wouldn't break the bank.

First mk2 Focus in bangernomics? Good find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Isn't that a taxi, and wasn't it posted before?

Yep
    Alan_007_ wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/8113560
    Slightly over budget, but could possibly bargain down?
    Its difficult bargaining with taxi drivers.
    Funny how old Richard (forgot) cough ! To mention that in the Ad:rolleyes:

Isn't that a taxi, and wasn't it posted before?

Yep

It is and it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

bear1 wrote: »
    It is and it was.

The thick still has it registered as a taxi.:confused:

• Advertisement

Yep, stick the reg into the NCT and it comes back as an SPSV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Yep, stick the reg into the NCT and it comes back as an SPSV

Go to sleep John Boy:P

Go to sleep John Boy:P

Ah sure just call me Sherlock Kev :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭littlevillage

It is and it was.

Does it matter that much if a car was used as a taxi .. as opposed to just used privately. If the Mileage is validated .. then that's the Mileage regardless of what it was used for.

At least the Taxi man probably kept it serviced as it was his livelihood. Joe Public might not have been so diligent.

I think I would prefer that my car was used as a taxi instead of maybe being owned by a boy racer (red line fever)

or a farmer (towing trailers up mountains)
    or (heaven forbid) owned by an overweight family (suspension Ouch !!) :-(

PS. I am not a taxi driver, but the ones I know take a lot of pride in keeping their cars in tip-top condition.

Does it matter that much if a car was used as a taxi .. as opposed to just used privately. If the Mileage is validated .. then that's the Mileage regardless of what it was used for.

At least the Taxi man probably kept it serviced as it was his livelihood. Joe Public might not have been so diligent.

The job public bit would be the reason I wouldn't want one.

I think I would prefer that my car was used as a taxi instead of maybe being owned by a boy racer or a farmer (towing trailers up mountains) or (heaven forbid) owned by an overweight family, that would have wrecked the suspension on it :-(

Eh? What?

the interior would most likely be a lot more worn than a commuter or family car, having had strangers with no regard for it dragging in and out of it 24/7.

200k on a taxi is most likely a lot harder on the mechanicals too, a private car that gets to that mileage has probably gotten there by motorway/ main road "cruising". where as a taxi has been, stop, start, stop start, first gear, second gear, 3 point turn hard work. not to mention (maybe) a lot of time ticking over on the taxi rank.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-mg-zr/8316988
    a bit light on test but a nice spec facelift ZR :)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-sonata-automatic-new-nct/8046971
    06 reg, 14 months test, 2.4 petrol, auto, grey leather, air con. you'd easily bargain this into budget and if it was a 525 for that money with that spec people would be very excited. it's not quite a 525 but if the badge doesn't bother you it's a decent car for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

it's not quite a 525

Best understatement since Kevin Cardiff said "Lads, I think we a are a few quid short here...." :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I think I would prefer that my car was used as a taxi instead of maybe being owned by a boy racer (red line fever)

PS. I am not a taxi driver, but the ones I know take a lot of pride in keeping their cars in tip-top condition.
    A taxi is usually subjected to far more wear and tear than a private car. People getting in and out every 5 min as well as stop start driving takes it's toll and it does show. Most taxi's I've been in were more worn and tired compared to the private equivalent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

SOME taxis are kept well - id consider a well kept example - if the price was cheap enough.

Relation of ours used to own an Opel Ascona diesel which was originally a taxi. Seemed to work away fine and he had it for a good few years from what I recall.

I know it passed an NCT in his ownership with over 320 k miles on the clock.

Always looked a tidy example too

Knew of another guy both himself and the missus owned two Nissan Bluebirds - he had one and the wife had one - BOTH were ex taxis.

Depends on the actual car really - being in a variety of taxis over the years - been in some surprisingly nice taxis with 250 k plus miles which really weren't all that different condition wise then privately owned examples of the same model

If its had a careful OWNER DRIVER that's minded the car, kept it clean and well serviced it could be okay.

But id NEVER recommend someone else to buy an ex taxi

edit - just seen John boy 26s points above - and hes probably right - I think ive just being fortunate to have encountered some particularly well minded examples.

Been in some proper tatty ones too - one E class in particular springs to mind - but THAT ONE had lots of drivers on it on double/triple shifts

• Advertisement

I think the thing with taxis is - you need to find one that was owner driven and not rented, as a lot of them are.

Chances are someone driving a car that they paid for will look after it and maintain it well. Not always the case with rentals, especially RE maintenance where it is the owner who pays, and I would imagine it would be on the cheap if they have 3, 4, 5 cars to keep on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Where can I check online whether a car is taxed or not apart from carsireland which is not 100%?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't think there's any other way to check for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Like the Galant, its a car I've always loved the look of and wanted to have one. They are getting fewer and fewer these days, that ones not in bad condition. If it wasn't for the tax I'd love the 2.5 vr4, I really should buy one soon before there is none left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Old diesel wrote: »
    SOME taxis are kept well - id consider a well kept example - if the price was cheap enough.

Relation of ours used to own an Opel Ascona diesel which was originally a taxi. Seemed to work away fine and he had it for a good few years from what I recall.

I know it passed an NCT in his ownership with over 320 k miles on the clock.

Always looked a tidy example too

Knew of another guy both himself and the missus owned two Nissan Bluebirds - he had one and the wife had one - BOTH were ex taxis.

Depends on the actual car really - being in a variety of taxis over the years - been in some surprisingly nice taxis with 250 k plus miles which really weren't all that different condition wise then privately owned examples of the same model

If its had a careful OWNER DRIVER that's minded the car, kept it clean and well serviced it could be okay.

But id NEVER recommend someone else to buy an ex taxi

edit - just seen John boy 26s points above - and hes probably right - I think ive just being fortunate to have encountered some particularly well minded examples.

Been in some proper tatty ones too - one E class in particular springs to mind - but THAT ONE had lots of drivers on it on double/triple shifts

Some good points...

I think the big thing is Taxi drivers tend to spend a lot of time parked with the engine running or driving slowly in city traffic, so the actual engine running hours on a taxi might be significantly higher than that of a private car, although both have the same mileage on the clock. Hence the wear and tear is a bit more.

Seat wear and doors etc. .. irrelevant. You can easily gauge those on examination.

But its the world over isn't it ... a good owner is a good owner and a pleb owner is pleb owner regardless of profession.

2004 Fiesta 1.4 petrol, 6 months tax & 10 months NCT, owner lost licence ..

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-n-c-t-10-15/8310569

36064487.jpeg

and a peugeot 206 interior swap :pac:

nice bit of paperwork still on the windscreen and it looks very well in 3dr with those wheels. there's something i don't trust though and i'm not sure what it is.

The reg is cleverly not shown in the photos.

Alarm bells would begin ringing from there for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-hr-v-nct-11-15-tax-03-15/8329291

this looks good, decent chunk of tax and test. it's like a civic, on stilts, but thirstier and less practical, is this even a 4wd model?

that said, if you want a "different" car and don't have too much to spend, this is probably very reliable and cheap to run, even with that mileage.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mondeo-diesel-nct-12-15-tax-02-15-reduced/8330019

2006 mondeo diesel, with the usual problems ironed out, 12 months NCT, 3 months tax, 2250.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mondeo-diesel-nct-12-15-tax-02-15-reduced/8330019

2006 mondeo diesel, with the usual problems ironed out, 12 months NCT, 3 months tax, 2250.

Not too sure if I'd have too much confidence in that Mondeo. On the one hand he mentions he has a new car arriving and as such has no space for it. Fair enough but then he goes on to say and I quote

"bargain may swap something of less value with cash my way, something I could move on quickly under a grand."

What makes him assume he could move any particular car on quickly and if he thinks the Mondeo is such a bargain why should he not move that on quickly....Bit of a small time car dealer or wanna be one?

The fact also that he reckons it 'probably' needs a service after 10k is a bit worrying. All the same he is going to get it valeted this weekend:rolleyes:

Thread with caution...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

High pressure pump might have been replaced but what about cleaning the fuel system? Lines, filters, injectors and tank.
    If that wasn't done then the pump will go again in a very short time.
    I wouldn't go near it TBH.

"...........
    had all the usual things done this year, clutch and fly wheel, injectors reconditioned reconditioned high pressure fuel pump.
    had new brakes and discs 5 days ago

getting it valeted on saturday its taxed and nct'd so sit in and drive away.
    probably due a service last service about 10k ago
    "

............ finally

bargain may swap something of less value with cash my way, something I could move on quickly under a grand.

please no stupid offers im stuck for space not cash,

Stuck for space but will take something in exchange.

120k miles on a 10 year old car, all that done in last year yet it wasn't serviced in 10k ?? As well as all that alleged work they are are getting it valeted Saturday ............ as you say yourself :)
    Alarm bells would begin ringing from there for me.

VEHICLE
    Vehicle Registration Number 06C229 Vehicle Details FORD / MONDEO Change Of Vehicle Ownership
    Transferred to a Company on : 10/12/2014
    Notified on : 18/12/2014 Vehicle Registration Certificate
    Vehicle Registration Certificate awaiting issue

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    VEHICLE
    Vehicle Registration Number 06C229 Vehicle Details FORD / MONDEO Change Of Vehicle Ownership
    Transferred to a Company on : 10/12/2014
    Notified on : 18/12/2014 Vehicle Registration Certificate
    Vehicle Registration Certificate awaiting issue

You confirmed my suspicions there Augeo...

One small thing I will pull you up on though
    120k miles on a 10 year old car, all that done in last year yet it wasn't serviced in 10k ??

As he has quoted kilometres as opposed to miles I'd presume that 10k he mentions is kilometres. Having said that though that ad now seems so dodgy who knows how long ago it was serviced. Hell, does the seller know himself, car only came into his hands within the last number of says or weeks max it seems. Anyway the fact he seems to be prioritising the valet over the service is worrying and would put me right off.

I think when you quoted Simoings1.0 comment re alarm bells ringing his comment was intended towards a different car and not the Mondeo

I think when you quoted Simoings1.0 comment re alarm bells ringing his comment was intended towards a different car and not the Mondeo

Indeed it was, Simoings1.0 was alarmed by a number plate not being shown in adds, I quoted it as I thought it strange his alarm bells weren't going off with the thousands thrown at it in the last year Mondeo that's for sale due to lack of space but a trade in will be taken :pac:

'twas a little joke like :D

As he has quoted kilometres as opposed to miles I'd presume that 10k he mentions is kilometres...............

if it was serviced 10k kms ago it's not due another for a while so dunno why he would even mention it

if it was serviced 10k kms ago it's not due another for a while so dunno why he would even mention it

True, true. Maybe I'm a bit old school but I think at 10k km I'd be inclined to change the oil and filter despite what the manufacturer recommends. As and aside from that the 2 cars I ever viewed that were described in the ad as needing a service...one needed a coil pack and badly needed a service as in what little oil was lest in it was like runny tar and the other needed the Head Gasket done:rolleyes:

At the end of the day I think we'll both agree buyer beware;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

True, true. Maybe I'm a bit old school but I think at 10k km I'd be inclined to change the oil and filter despite what the manufacturer recommends. As and aside from that the 2 cars I ever viewed that were described in the ad as needing a service...one needed a coil pack and badly needed a service as in what little oil was lest in it was like runny tar and the other needed the Head Gasket done:rolleyes:

At the end of the day I think we'll both agree buyer beware;)

I find that when someone says their car "needs a service" there is generally something significantly wrong with it,

My mates g/f's 00 1.0 polo "needed a service" recently; it was running on 3 cylinders, had basically no oil in it, was overheating & the expansion tank was full of premixed windscreen washer fluid :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Cheensbo wrote: »
    I find that when someone says their car "needs a service" there is generally something significantly wrong with it,

My mates g/f's 00 1.0 polo "needed a service" recently; it was running on 3 cylinders, had basically no oil in it, was overheating & the expansion tank was full of premixed windscreen washer fluid :pac:

So it didn't need a service then?? :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement