Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Dr.Rieux wrote: »
    Hope I'm allowed post this here, I'm selling a 92 Starlet 1 liter 5 door for my fiancées mother, taxed until the end of this month and nct'd for 10 months.

cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/92-toyota-starlet/7496235

Good ad and nice tidy car, that should sell fairly quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

was it damaged up front before?

i would, wither way :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

was it damaged up front before?

i would, wither way :P

I've just been told the bonnet and front light have been replaced about 4/5 years ago.

Unfortunately there's not much to put in the ad as the car is very basic.

You can :P

Jap import grill alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Good value with the NCT. Rust will kill it at some stage though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Good value with the NCT. Rust will kill it at some stage though.

Im looking for a runaround for a year,might take a chance on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Hope I'm allowed post this here, I'm selling a 92 Starlet 1 liter 5 door for my fiancées mother, taxed until the end of this month and nct'd for 10 months.

That Starlet seems quite expensive for a 22 year old car in below average condition. Plus a 1992 Starlet would be easy pickings for a joy rider.

For same money Id rather a secure "modern" Micra

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-micra/7495764

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Afair the slx was the top of the line model on those almeras at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

uk import too the almera so prob riddled with the rusty sills etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Dia1988 wrote: »
    That Starlet seems quite expensive for a 22 year old car in below average condition. Plus a 1992 Starlet would be easy pickings for a joy rider.

WOW that Micra sold fast in 6 hours!!

Is the 22 year old Starlet still for sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

That secure "modern Micra could actually be less "secure" than that starlet due to the dreaded tin worm that seems to engulf the bottom of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Sounds to me like you have not got a clue about what you are talking about.

If you did, you would know that the price on the Starlet is right where it should be. I have seen then go for upwards of that.

Best do some research before attacking a post like that in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Kaiser D wrote: »

If you did, you would know that the price on the Starlet is right where it should be. I have seen then go for upwards of that.

I'd agree. Just because it's a 22 year old car, doesn't mean it's worthless. A clean unabused starlet is worth that asking all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'd drive it.

Will be cheap and troublefree motoring for whoever gets it.

Good luck with the sale, looks nice and clean. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

keep changing the oil in that starlet and it would comfortably give you another 20 years motoring in fairness. and generally speaking old starlets (unlike old micras) only seem to be going back upwards in value. you'd struggle to get a clean 84-89 model starlet for under €2k.

you'd be hard pushed to put €750 anywhere safer than in that "22 year old starlet".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

keep changing the oil in that starlet and it would comfortably give you another 20 years motoring in fairness. and generally speaking old starlets (unlike old micras) only seem to be going back upwards in value. you'd struggle to get a clean 84-89 model starlet for under €2k.

you'd be hard pushed to put €750 anywhere safer than in that "22 year old starlet".

I reckon it'd sell for 1k easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

2002 Volvo S40;
    1.9 petrol;
    Nct till 05/15 tax till 09/14;
    114,000 miles;
    4 new tyres;
    Asking €1,050 ono

Seems to be a clean car. Am guessing he's aiming for €1,000 which wouldn't be a lot especially if it has 4 new Bridgestone tyres.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/02-volvo-s40/7499085

32190268.jpeg

Cheers all for the comments. It's only being sold as there's no use for it anymore there. It was sold to her father when they moved to the states a few years back, and back to her when they came back. Unfortunately taxing and insuring it to sit on the drive doesn't seem like the best plan.

As for the price, it's also on adverts and is close enough to asking for most of them. Bit of room in the price for an offer.

not a hugh fan of these really. Although they seem solid enough a family members seems to be burning oil like the new time. Its sluggish and fond of the juice too but its the 1.4 which is universally known to be a pathetic engine to have in the Focus. This is a 1.6 litre and I know these cars have a lot of fans hence why I'm posting, in particular as it seems to be on at good money for one.

2003 Ford Focus 1.6
    5 dr hatch;
    nct March 2015;
    96,000 miles
    Priced at €1,200

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-ford-focus-hatchback/7362704

31537549.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

2002 Volvo S40;
    1.9 petrol;
    Nct till 05/15 tax till 09/14;
    114,000 miles;
    4 new tyres;
    Asking €1,050 ono

Seems to be a clean car. Am guessing he's aiming for €1,000 which wouldn't be a lot especially if it has 4 new Bridgestone tyres.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/02-volvo-s40/7499085

Is this a 2.0T turbo one?
    Could you describe it as a sleeper?

not a hugh fan of these really. Although they seem solid enough a family members seems to be burning oil like the new time. Its sluggish and fond of the juice too but its the 1.4 which is universally known to be a pathetic engine to have in the Focus. This is a 1.6 litre and I know these cars have a lot of fans hence why I'm posting, in particular as it seems to be on at good money for one.

2003 Ford Focus 1.6
    5 dr hatch;
    nct March 2015;
    96,000 miles
    Priced at €1,200

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-ford-focus-hatchback/7362704

http://photos2.donedeal.ie/cars/2003-ford-focus-hatchback/View2/31537549.jpeg

The 1.6 in the MK1 Focus is pretty good tbh. I had one, clocked up 10k on it in under a year without so much as a hiccup. That one looks good for the money.

jharr100 wrote: »

Is this a 2.0T turbo one?
    Could you describe it as a sleeper?

Tis the 2.0 litre turbo alright jharr100. Wouldn't be entirely sure if you could call it an out and out sleeper as think it only had 200 bhp if I recall correctly. Still though that would not be slow either and am sure you could reden the face of the driver of what would seem a much more pretentious car...so maybe yeah it is a sleeper in that sense:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A lot of those are 160bhp. Its the T4 badged one thats 200 bhp

colm_mcm wrote: »
    A lot of those are 160bhp. Its the T4 badged one thats 200 bhp

Ah didn't know that. Thought all the 2.0 litre turbo models were a high pressure turbo 200 bhp engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I wouldn't normally post something with such a rotten colour scheme because I wouldn't drive it myself but, with NCT until 1/15 and only €750 I could nearly put up with it :p

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xj-series-3-2-petrol-sport/6742759

28490754.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/7501063

Would need a Superb bit of haggling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'm getting a hankering for a Superb, a nicely spec'd one with the heated rear seats.
    The only thing that puts me off is the centre console, it looks quite plain maybe even boring.
    But I'd wager if you went with 2k cash in hand you'd have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

bear1 wrote: »
    I'm getting a hankering for a Superb, a nicely spec'd one with the heated rear seats.
    The only thing that puts me off is the centre console, it looks quite plain maybe even boring.
    But I'd wager if you went with 2k cash in hand you'd have it.
    Only caveat is to look at the engine code. If its a BXE then walk away before it throws a conrod at you.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Only caveat is to look at the engine code. If its a BXE then walk away before it throws a conrod at you.

Not really familiar with the Superb engines, aren't the diesels the same as the VW?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

bear1 wrote: »
    Not really familiar with the Superb engines, aren't the diesels the same as the VW?
    Yes, all VAG engines but the 105 hp BXE are problematic.
    Others are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    I wouldn't normally post something with such a rotten colour scheme because I wouldn't drive it myself but, with NCT until 1/15 and only €750 I could nearly put up with it :p...

Granted the interior is a bit "bleh", but isn't that British Racing Green, or am I going blind?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

colm_mcm wrote: »
    New shape S40

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s40-nct-02-15/7381568

Towhook on might cause concern...
    Looking at getting an S40 2005 😄 apart from Kilkenny reg plate anything to look for? Dont know if ill go for this one but they look like good value for a small sub 2L car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

jcon1913 wrote: »
    Looking at getting an S40 2005 😄 apart from Kilkenny reg plate anything to look for? Dont know if ill go for this one but they look like good value for a small sub 2L car

Not too sure what you would be looking out for with the Kilkenny reg but....

That car looks very rough, lots of dents and scrapes. The towing eye is also screwed in place, meaning it most likely needed assistance in moving recently.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »

That car looks very rough, lots of dents and scrapes. The towing eye is also screwed in place, meaning it most likely needed assistance in moving recently.

Unless there is an extra K added to it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

h3000 wrote: »

Well spotted on the towing eye!

Purely joking...abouy the KK reg. 😊😊😊 yeah there does look to be a good few dings on the car. Without mentioning names the guys that had it ( its sold now ) seem to buy cars at auction clean them up and sell them on. There was no service history etc with that car. Still im looking out for a clean S40 in around the same money. They come up often enough. The 2005 ones seem to get 2,500 to 3,000 so its within my budget. The 1.8L petrol seems to be the commonest. My question is what problems to look out for on these cars.

s60 with the all important moo-cow and spaceball gear surround

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/03-volvo-s60-nct-05-15-tax-11-14/7509337

• Advertisement

Starlet sold today to the first viewer. I knew I should have put "first to see will buy" in the ad :P

Got the money we wanted (little below asking) so happy with that.

Doesn't have "last of the bulletproof mercs" in the ad though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Starlet sold today to the first viewer. I knew I should have put "first to see will buy" in the ad :P

Got the money we wanted (little below asking) so happy with that.

They are a great little car, I really like them.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭W123-80's

That looks like a really genuine car. Lovely motor. I really want one.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Attack the post and not the poster and all that.

ps Good to see that first to see bought, and surprised it stayed unsold for so long.

pps Nice M-B 200TE above. I'm thinking it might be a UK import from the reg? Could be wrong though...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Is it just me or is there a decrease in the quality of stuff under 2k at the moment? I'm finally getting to the stage where I want some reasonably reliable bangernomics goodness in my life (2000+, <€2k, <2.0 ideally), I can't find anything that really pushes my buttons :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

jcon1913 wrote: »
    Yeah commute a lot shorter now, I just got rid of a 2.6L Audi A80, what a car at the lights. ( Which is why I'm haunting this thread :pac::pac::pac: )

Dont tell me you dont get up to top speed ASAP in any given speed zone. Otherwise whats the point in having the GeeGees under the bonnet?

Anyhows I did get a pain paying €1,200 odd a year in car tax for the pleasure of a 20mpg beast, and paying €1.50 a litre for petrol. So I dont think I'll be going back to that 2L plus territory anytime soon.

Still I cant help thinking I should have bought that Alfa when I had the chance ( and 2 less children :pac::pac::pac: )

You should have! and at some point should I mean look at them stunning stunning cars...That engine..

318964.JPG

318965.JPG

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement