Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

That is a pure sleeper right there ^^.
    The drivers seat is in pretty bad condition but easy to swap.
    Hmm the T5 or a 1.6 Vectra for 250e more? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

If you can get past the tax this could be worth a punt - V6, low(ish) miles and 2 years NCT for under €2k.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-hyundai-coupe-v6-new-nct-fsh/7445701

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

W123-80's wrote: »
    I'm torn on this one, on one hand its my favourite model of 5 series on the other its pricey and I don't like the Pimped wheels.
    Looks well maintained though.
    Test May '15
    Asking €1,800

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-520i-24v/7471109

32222353.jpeg

He wants to swap a small car for his girlfriend? No picture of her though ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    If you can get past the tax this could be worth a punt - V6, low(ish) miles and 2 years NCT for under €2k.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-hyundai-coupe-v6-new-nct-fsh/7445701

I could be wrong here but isn't that one of the worst V6 engines ever made? 160ps, barely more than the 2.0l but you're paying a hell of a lot more tax. If I was paying that much tax id want something a lot more interesting than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

I think this car was discussed a few pages back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I think this car was discussed a few pages back.

Yup it was, very similar tax conversation too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MadYaker wrote: »
    I could be wrong here but isn't that one of the worst V6 engines ever made? 160ps, barely more than the 2.0l but you're paying a hell of a lot more tax. If I was paying that much tax id want something a lot more interesting than that.

If the car was a 2.0, it would be worth about €1,500 more. Nearly enough to pay for 3 years of the tax difference. The reality is that the vast majority of people in this country don't seem to comprehend this. Long may it last :D

And those years you'll have more refinement, 25BHP and 60NM more ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

Surely there has to be some catch with this? (9 months tax and test!): http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo/7524146

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Surely there has to be some catch with this? (9 months tax and test!): http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo/7524146

If tax is true then good deal but timing belt is due a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

If tax is true then good deal but timing belt is due a change.

Budget about 300 quid for that. The VVT pulley may need doing as well, which might explain the knockdown price.

If it is sound mechanically, then that car would be seriously cheap at even a grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    More kids than money?

It's for sale? Wow, I'd never have guessed that only for he stated it in the ad description :eek:

If the belt doesn't break, that's a free car!

Perfect for belt roulette. I'd chance it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

unkel wrote: »
    If the car was a 2.0, it would be worth about €1,500 more. Nearly enough to pay for 3 years of the tax difference. The reality is that the vast majority of people in this country don't seem to comprehend this. Long may it last :D

And those years you'll have more refinement, 25BHP and 60NM more ;)

I think you are only taking the points which back up your argument and ignoring the rest. What about resale?

FWIW I'm not anti-tax, I drive a 3 litre myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I think you are only taking the points which back up your argument and ignoring the rest. What about resale?

FWIW I'm not anti-tax, I drive a 3 litre myself.

If you see a car as more than a way of getting from a to b, then resale value is going to be one of the last things that you'll worry about.

that being said I wouldn't have the v6 in the coupe, but then again I wouldn't have a coupe anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

If you see a car as more than a way of getting from a to b, then resale value is going to be one of the last things that you'll worry about.

that being said I wouldn't have the v6 in the coupe, but then again I wouldn't have a coupe anyway

Why wouldn't you have the V6?

CianRyan wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you have the V6?

I wouldn't have either in the coupe

I think you are only taking the points which back up your argument and ignoring the rest.

Simplicity makes a good argument :)

But you're right, there's more to it than that. Not a lot though.
    What about resale?

Resale will be worse, obviously. That said in another 3 years time both cars will be worth very little. We're talking a 3 figure some even for the more valuable 2l. Insurance might be slightly higher on the 2.7, petrol consumption will be slightly higher. Maintenance the same, the 2.7 has an easier life, so might be even less.

Summary: over 3 years total cost of ownership, the much cheaper to buy, but more expensive to tax and run 2.7l which will be worth less come resale, might cost you about a grand more than the 2.0l.

That's about €1 per day...

Take away another €1 per day off your budget and we are no longer talking '06 Hyundai Coupe 2.0, but something like a '01 Ford Focus 1.4. And another €1 per day and we are talking about the cheapest nastiest of bangers.

Moral of the story - drink one pint less per week in the pub and drive a newish decent car with a 3l V6 engine, instead of a nasty old rusty slow banger with a tiny engine ;)

Can the engine be tuned to get decent power out of it?

N/A so power increase potential is very limited. Remap + air filter might give you about 20BHP on top of the 167BHP but it's a complete waste of money spending that on a bangernomics car imho.

Anyway not sure why people are so reserved about it. It's a good looking sporty kinda car, relatively new ('06) with a V6 petrol engine, leather seats and a good spec for bangernomics money. You'd pay more for an automotive turd like an '03 Nissan Micra :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭dbrunson

+1. I have driven one of these, highly underated car imo. great value and a surprisingly fun drive. full of useable chuckable power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

dbrunson wrote: »
    +1. I have driven one of these, highly underated car imo. great value and a surprisingly fun drive. full of useable chuckable power.

The power output is lowish for 2.7 engine, but both the torque and the sound of V6 should be decent.

Not a bad car for that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

60mpg? in your dreams maybe

Well, to be fair, you are right. Realistically, (non-obc) it would be high 50's but my point still stands. They really are misers on Diesel.
    I regularly got high 50's on a long run. If you drove like miss daisy, 60 ~ mpg (or very very near it) is indeed achievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

cadaliac wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, you are right. Realistically, (non-obc) it would be high 50's but my point still stands. They really are misers on Diesel.
    I regularly got high 50's on a long run. If you drove like miss daisy, 60 ~ mpg (or very very near it) is indeed achievable.

For the size of the car, the comfort and refinement on offer - high 50s was impressive in 2000/01.

I wonder how many of the newer eco diesels hit their claimed fuel figures - when you see 70 mpg almost becoming routine on the official tests*

*but we only care about the real world figures :D

Old diesel wrote: »
    For the size of the car, the comfort and refinement on offer - high 50s was impressive in 2000/01.

Nothing much to do with the car, more with the driving!

On a long run driving very smoothly and putting in an effort (but not going slow, not driving under the speed limits), I got 40MPG from my '01 2l turbo petrol Saab 9-5 fully loaded and with 5 people in it. That's a heavy car to start with and the engine design dates from the early 70s

So obviously I would have made about 60MPG in any diesel saloon car of that vintage

If you lads saw what my diesel Volvo is drinking you'd be shocked.... and in a bad way.

low thirthies in terms of MPG?

Bang on.
    600km give or take a few to a tank. Shocking.

You would get better than that in a 1.6 avensis but you will be happier driving the volvo.

• Advertisement

I was getting around 800km in my Alfa and it had a bigger engine.
    I've tried absolutely everything I can think of but to no avail.
    Really thought the dci engine would have been more frugal. Looking forward to getting rid in October.

Is there anything wrong with it?

Yeah, it's drinking more than it should :D
    Absolutely nothing, I've had the tyres replaced and tracked.
    The service has been done with new filters and oil all round.
    The consumption seems to make no difference if I'm driving extremely carefully or pedal to the floor driving.
    Only think I notice is black smoke which could be EGR related but last time I opened it it was clean.

Anyway to keep on track here we go:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-320i-00-silver/7527759

NCT 01/15 and a small bit of tax left, climate control but the seats look quite stained.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-picnic/7527712

Bleee but for 550 notes and a longish NCT it may suit someone with a big family.

Does it have a DPF?

Nope, it's the 2001 version S40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

bear1 wrote: »
    I was getting around 800km in my Alfa and it had a bigger engine.
    I've tried absolutely everything I can think of but to no avail.
    Really thought the dci engine would have been more frugal. Looking forward to getting rid in October.
    What volvo is it?
    edit as above...

edit edit:
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/volvo/s40/2001
    christ....

• Advertisement

Not the best is it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Bang on.

That's awful, my C200 does that normally :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-is-tax10-14-nct03-15/7522746
    32299478.jpeg

A few of these of these available for somewhat reasonable money. This looks a tidy enough example at €1400. Taxed until October, NCT expires next March. Mileage on the highish side at 180k miles and it is automatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Autobox in those is early 90s style 4 speed slushomatic

s60 2.0T. No spaceball or nicer climate control panel but still has moocow

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-volvo-s60/6645325

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-is-tax10-14-nct03-15/7522746
    32299478.jpeg

A few of these of these available for somewhat reasonable money. This looks a tidy enough example at €1400. Taxed until October, NCT expires next March. Mileage on the highish side at 180k miles and it is automatic.

Good cars but not much of a demand for the autos id imagine.

Bang on.

Jesus...my gtv does 700 km and that's short enough journeys and that's driving a ts as it's meant to (with a heavy right foot!)
    Although it's a 70 l tank :rolleyes:
    What size is the tank in the Volvo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The Autobox in those is early 90s style 4 speed slushomatic

I remember you and others telling me this when I looked at one. I think in the end it was the slush box mixed with the poor mpg that turned me off. I could handle one but not both together.

I wouldn't rule one out as a future purchase.

s60 2.0T. No spaceball or nicer climate control panel but still has moocow

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-volvo-s60/6645325

I believe you're missing something from that post ;)
    Jesus...my gtv does 700 km and that's short enough journeys and that's driving a ts as it's meant to (with a heavy right foot!)
    Although it's a 70 l tank :rolleyes:
    What size is the tank in the Volvo?

It has a 65l tank so when you count 65l at 600km you can get the picture of how crap it is.

God the styling of them has to be one of the worst for an 02 car! Hideous in my opinion anyway. They look like a child designed them. When was that particular model released do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

God the styling of them has to be one of the worst for an 02 car! Hideous in my opinion anyway. They look like a child designed them. When was that particular model released do you know?

Believe it or not but that model Swift had an unbelievably long production run - it was released in 1989.

3 doors look a bit nicer - or a bit less hideous depending on your viewpoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Its not an 02 car though, technically it's just a re-heated version of the swift that came out in 1989. They look OK in 3 door form though.

Edit: old diesel beat me to it above :)

Ya a fella close to me has a 98 3 door one, admittedly they look better. He's about 6' 5", the laugh's he gives me when trying to get in and drive around :D Reminds me of this.

740408705.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement