Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

racso1975 wrote: »
    Just looking for peoples thoughts Think I got a decent bangernomics deal yesterday.

05 almera sve model
    Half leather
    73k miles
    Nct till june 2015
    Tax till july
    Body very clean.
    1500 euro

Very good deal by the sounds of it.
    AC?
    My mother has the SX 2005 version from new, 4 things I don't like about it.

1) Radio is very weak (speakers I mean)
    2) seats are not comfortable
    3) very underpowered
    4) goes through petrol very quickly

But, it has never left her by the side of the road so it does have it's good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Just looking for peoples thoughts Think I got a decent bangernomics deal yesterday.

05 almera sve model
    Half leather
    73k miles
    Nct till june 2015
    Tax till july
    Body very clean.
    1500 euro

Don't neglect the oil changes, the timing chains on these are prone to stretching, usually indicated by an engine warning light for the cam position sensor.

Are these any good? Diesel estate Stilo. Nct till
    1/15

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-stilo-jtd-nct-1-15/6517618

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Don't neglect the oil changes, the timing chains on these are prone to stretching, usually indicated by an engine warning light for the cam position sensor.

or a rattle or the rev clock needle wobbling.

Are these any good? Diesel estate Stilo. Nct till
    1/15

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-stilo-jtd-nct-1-15/6517618

They are an ok car IMO and the engine in those are very good.
    That has a bit of a basic spec though, you could easily get one with AC in your budget I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vectra-2-2-nct/6881257

Granted the NCT is up in June, wonder what's wrong with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

bear1 wrote: »

thats about all its worth, if anything it's a little expensive. i bought an 03 with the 2.0 diesel, SXi spec nearly 3 years ago for less than 2k.

no tax or test, undesirable 2.2 with the "high tax", decent bit of wear on the seats, armrest and gearstick, i'd nearly say its covered more than 166k. those exhausts aren't factory and the front end looks like it's been hopped off a ditch. ex felt spec'er imo. wouldn't touch it.

edit: very under-rated car though, i'd definitely have another.

thats about all its worth, if anything it's a little expensive. i bought an 03 with the 2.0 diesel, SXi spec nearly 3 years ago for less than 2k.

no tax or test, undesirable 2.2 with the "high tax", decent bit of wear on the seats, armrest and gearstick, i'd nearly say its covered more than 166k. those exhausts aren't factory and the front end looks like it's been hopped off a ditch. ex felt spec'er imo. wouldn't touch it.

edit: very under-rated car though, i'd definitely have another.

Well it does still have some test :p tax it doesn't mention so I'd say you're right there.
    The interior is mouldy with what looks bit a piece missing from the drivers seat.
    The exahusts are crap and I'd have them removed.
    I think you are getting the impression the front end has had contact judging by it just been washed. Body seems straight to me.
    With all that in mind it wouldn't put me off.
    Show up with 800e and you're laughing.
    Fix her up to the condition it deserves to be in and you'd have a good runner there.

ah the test is up, its out in 3 weeks ish. those driver seats are very ad for getting torn/ frayed bolsters so i'd say that's why the cover is over it.

i appreciate the car has just been washed and there is suds on the back bumper but the front bumper has definitely got a big scuff and some paint gone on the passenger corner and i think the centre grille is missing too.

it surely would be a nice car all cleaned up, it's a nice spec, looks like it has the standard nav unit and all. just i reckon by the time it's taxed, tested and tidied you'l have spent another €1k on it and for that price i'd rather just buy a good one that i know hasn't been dogged.

Fair enough

• Advertisement

ah i'm just saying. sure there's nothing more fun than a fixer upper to a car guy... just a kind of deceptive advert imo :)

Ah no worries :)

ya bastard ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

the 2.2 - that's whats wrong with it. Its a known troublesome engine.
    I personally wouldn't touch it. I also agree that it was damaged (albeit slightly) at the front.
    166k and you could be getting into big repair bills. I'd see what work has already been done before I'd invest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Taxed till the end of the year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Got quite a few cars for sale.
    Imagine what he bought it for...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

05 almera sve model
    Half leather
    73k miles
    Nct till june 2015
    Tax till july
    Body very clean.
    1500 euro

They are nice enough looking cars in hatchback form but they are a poor car by any standard. They are Cheaply made, Noisy, rattledy, have poor road manners, aren't that economical and they give a whole host of reliability and build quality related issues(stretched timing chains, gearboxes, melted headlights, rust etc)

Sorry, I know you just bought it, but you asked for peoples thoughts and that's my honest opinion of those almeras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    They are nice enough looking cars in hatchback form but they are a poor car by any standard. They are Cheaply made, Noisy, rattledy, have poor road manners, aren't that economical and they give a whole host of reliability and build quality related issues(stretched timing chains, gearboxes, melted headlights, rust etc)

Sorry, I know you just bought it, but you asked for peoples thoughts and that's my honest opinion of those almeras.

JohnBoy, I'm just curious, I've noticed before your comment on almeras, what experience did you have of them that makes you so critical? Do you work in the car industry? What do you use as a daily driver?

I owned a N15 Almera and never put me wrong despite being abused to high heaven before I bought it.

I currently drive a 04 N16 saloon, and my wife has a 01 N16 hatch, my parents also had a 01 N16 saloon, and while those problems you've mentioned (timing chain, gearbox, headlights) are known, the only problem I've had is the smoked headlight problem with my phase 2, which I just replaced for NCT, the car could not be faulted at the last NCT apart from this. The wifes also passed NCT without a hitch.

I don't agree with the poor road manners comment either, as someone who nearly put a corolla into a hedge doing the same speed on a road I drive every day in my almera I think the handling in the almera is quite respectable, our two are quite solid and not noisy at all.

I do agree about the engine though, can be quite under whelming and second gear is terrible compared to a civic for instance, something that bugs me pulling away from a junction, it can be quite thirsty on town driving, but I regularly get 34 mpg on mixture of town and dual carriageway, I got 40+ on a trip to Dublin last year.

As a guy who has been around 4 almeras quite regular (a friend also has a 06 hatch) I have never seen the likes of the problems you've mentioned. I don't deny they exist, but it seems like if looked after, our almeras at least serve us well.

I do have a problem with the radio in mine, I suspect it's a wire grounding on the metal somewhere though, never got around to pulling the dash to chase it.

Not knocking your opinion by the way, I just find interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I wouldn't buy one but the amount of N16 taxis you see around... They're hardly going to pick something so manically suicial to cart their fairs around in.
    If the car decides to die so often, they won't get any work done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭W123-80's

2004 S40
    Tested 12/14
    Tax 12/14
    Leather & Auto
    Small bit of haggling and its not a bad bus for the money.
    Asking €1,850

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-volvo-s40-nct-12-14-tax-12-14-auto/6903040

29294570.jpeg

I had one and it cost 2000 over 6 months.
    I had minded it like a baby having never missed a service (bought with a maindealer FSH and 58000 on the clock). I would never touch one ever again.
    Faults in 6 months included
    brake calipers
    wiper box
    timing chain
    heater controls
    gearbox
    sensor on camshaft, crankshaft and oxygen sensors
    boot leak
    seatbelt broke
    radio gave up
    clutch (although i appreciate this is a wearing part)
    battery (again a wearing part but an extra bill nonetheless)
    I think I forgot something but I think thats most of it.

edit: i had it for 15 months without any hassle until the sh1t storm happened.

I had one and it cost 2000 over 6 months.
    I had minded it like a baby having never missed a service (bought with a maindealer FSH and 58000 on the clock). I would never touch one ever again.
    Faults in 6 months included
    brake calipers
    wiper box
    timing chain
    heater controls
    gearbox
    sensor on camshaft, crankshaft and oxygen sensors
    boot leak
    seatbelt broke
    radio gave up
    clutch (although i appreciate this is a wearing part)
    battery (again a wearing part but an extra bill nonetheless)
    I think I forgot something but I think thats most of it.

edit: i had it for 15 months without any hassle until the sh1t storm happened.

Some people would argue that could be a isolated case though, look at all the fans of the Ford Focus but I know a guy who had to put an engine, clutch, front disks and a front shock in one in just over a year. This is probably derailing the thread too much now though. But I can understand your reluctance to touch one again after that.

rizzodun wrote: »
    Some people would argue that could be a isolated case though, look at all the fans of the Ford Focus but I know a guy who had to put an engine, clutch, front disks and a front shock in one in just over a year. This is probably derailing the thread too much now though. But I can understand your reluctance to touch one again after that.

I was unlucky the wipers the gearbox and the chain were common failures the rest were bad luck.

A buddy of mine bought one last year and she hasnt missed a beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I was unlucky the wipers the gearbox and the chain were common failures the rest were bad luck.

A buddy of mine bought one last year and she hasnt missed a beat.
    I've seen both gearbox and wiper motors going in a few of them also so not so sure if its that uncommon. The cases of wiper motor failures i've seen in them had resulted in the wipers staying on constantly and couldn't be turned off.

front cross members literally melting with rust, some as early as four years old:eek: is another common issue with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭pockets3d

Surely the amount of sex you would get, makes it a bargain.

28656611.jpeg

On chill.ie insurance for it coming up as if its a normal corolla saloon, much tempted

I would love to know what sort of women are in your locality.

Sorry lad, suppose be easier to get fat dolls into an avensis after all

pockets3d wrote: »

Seen that around, but no NCT means it doesn't qualify.

• Advertisement

I dont know how many women would go for super strut suspension being written on the side of the car.

I am engaged so I dont need to use a car to try and find a bird but if I end up single again i can buy one of those and give it a go. Any women who I would pull with that car would lead to me wrapping up well.

Anyways back to the topic at hand
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-d4d/6767532

are these any good - http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-meriva-2003-nct-07-2014/6567457

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

:pac::pac:

Clio 1.6 nct 9/14
    26746424.jpeg

Always liked these with a bit of spec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I think that's been for sale for an age OR it's just recently been put back up. I remember seeing that a good while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

2005 SAAB 93
    1.8i Linear
    NCT 5-15
    Asking 1650
    160K km

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-93-2005/6870055

29129681.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I think that's been for sale for an age OR it's just recently been put back up. I remember seeing that a good while back.

What engine is in that Clio - afaik - there are 2 1.6 Renault Petrol engines - theres one type that was used in the Laguna II - and another type used in the Megane II.

One has variable valve timing I think - the other doesn't.

The type that's in the Megane II - gives trouble with some pulley apparently.

Something to think about I think

• Advertisement

28656611.jpeg

On chill.ie insurance for it coming up as if its a normal corolla saloon, much tempted

Would you actually try and insure that as a Corolla? You would absolutely mad to do that.
    Good luck if there is ever a crash or you are stopped by the Guards.
    Oh and it has no NCT so it doesn't belong here.
    rizzodun wrote: »
    Seen that around, but no NCT means it doesn't qualify.

Guess as well why it wouldn't pass the next NCT? ;)

I dont know how many women would go for super strut suspension being written on the side of the car.

I am engaged so I dont need to use a car to try and find a bird but if I end up single again i can buy one of those and give it a go. Any women who I would pull with that car would lead to me wrapping up well.

Anyways back to the topic at hand
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-d4d/6767532

are these any good - http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-meriva-2003-nct-07-2014/6567457

Re the Meriva, I don't think it's a good car at all. Extremely underpowered and heavy on fuel.
    No tax and the test is just 2 months away but 2 months is better than nothing :)
    The seats at the back look filthy.
    As a basic run around I'd imagine it's ok but I wouldn't personally go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Much want, so cheap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Old diesel wrote: »
    What engine is in that Clio - afaik - there are 2 1.6 Renault Petrol engines - theres one type that was used in the Laguna II - and another type used in the Megane II.

One has variable valve timing I think - the other doesn't.

The type that's in the Megane II - gives trouble with some pulley apparently.

Something to think about I think

Dephaser pulley. Best practice to change it when the time in belt is getting done.

'01 Saab 93
    Test until 02/15
    Asking €599
    Could be worth a look.!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-93-selling-now-599-only-call-/6883742

29200053.jpeg

• Advertisement

Sit in and drive away..
    Test 08/14
    Tax 08/14
    Asking €600

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-micra/6904426

29300791.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

W123-80's wrote: »

That's a nice stone he took a pic of for the 2nd one.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Alan_007_

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-gti-tax-and-nct/6886815
    29215250.jpeg

Good bit of test, little bit of tax left. Somewhat odd price but I checked on the dealership website and it's the same there, so it could be legitimately €757.

Aren't I right in thinking that that dealership is known in a negative way?
    The price is extremely peculiar, why 757?

Dephaser pulley. Best practice to change it when the time in belt is getting done.

That's it - couldn't think of the spelling for Dephaser.

Would the Clio 1.6 be the Megane II unit with the dephaser issue - or the Laguna II unit which doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Alan_007_

You could well be, I'm not too sure myself. Was just browsing donedeal and came upon this one.

Their reputation isn't exactly the sort of reputation youd like the dealer selling your used car to have - apparently.

Have never dealt with them myself though - and am in no hurry to either

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement