Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Kamili wrote: »
    bit of luxury without the huge price tag...

Oh yeah. Panzerkampfwagen forwaert! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

bear1 wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/cheap-diesel-car-with-tax-and-nct-6speed/7614266

Seriously long NCT (06/16)! tax until the end of November and tbh doesn't look too bad. I'd also wager you could definitely get this in bargain territory.

Thats the sort of think that bangernomics is about but I would volunteer to remove my gentlemen parts with a rusty garden sheers if that milage was genuine! The steering wheel looks far far too worn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Thats the sort of think that bangernomics is about but I would volunteer to remove my gentlemen parts with a rusty garden sheers if that milage was genuine! The steering wheel looks far far too worn.

Could be 140,000 miles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

It's a genuine Irish car anyway so it could well be 140k KM.
    Putting it's reg into the NCT database results in it being an SPSV vehicle so it may well have been a taxi or maybe a car for a disabled person?
    I say "been" as looking at the tax disc it is taxed as a private vehicle, 710e per year tax.

Could be 140,000 miles?

I know they mean 140,000 I've not gone full retard :p

The steering wheel should not have that kind of wear for that little milage.

Now for something completely different!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-astra-c18xe-5dr-lhd-1-8-red-top/6593277

LHD though but a rare engine and with AC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭wiz569

My 04 megane with only 80,000 on it does,maybe cheap quality plastic/leather?

I know it sounds stupid, but the weather can also play a part in wearing down steering wheel rubber.
    Also dirty hands etc can do it.

I know it sounds stupid, but the weather can also play a part in wearing down steering wheel rubber.
    Also dirty hands etc can do it.

my car has way over double that milage and the wheel is in significantly better shape.

Pre new tax rules people didn't buy cars like that for low milage, I might be wrong but I would be careful with that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Now for something completely different!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-astra-c18xe-5dr-lhd-1-8-red-top/6593277

LHD though but a rare engine and with AC!

€1,500? LOL! Probably a French owner who thinks he can charge French prices over here. Worth not much more than €500 tbh unless you can find another French person willing to pay a premium for LHD :)

• Advertisement

my car has way over double that milage and the wheel is in significantly better shape.

Pre new tax rules people didn't buy cars like that for low milage, I might be wrong but I would be careful with that one.

Oh I don't doubt you at all. My S40 just clocked 210k miles and the wheel is in very good condition.
    I'm just saying that cause a steering wheel doesn't look in the best of shapes that the mileage must be wrong.

unkel wrote: »
    €1,500? LOL! Probably a French owner who thinks he can charge French prices over here. Worth not much more than €500 tbh unless you can find another French person willing to pay a premium for LHD :)

The price is a joke alright, I just posted it for it's rarity :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Just checking :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

There's no doubt that you have a point about being careful with that car, (the same goes for any car), but at 140k miles it's not uncommon to see a nice bit of wear on a steering wheel.
    It's not that low that mileage, Some wear and tear will be seen in most cases at those miles.

Some cars haven't got hard wearing steering wheels like some other cars do.

The type of user in some cases has a big bearing on steering wheel wear as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭wiz569

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

The type of user in some cases has a big bearing on steering wheel wear as well.

The fella that used to own mine had a very big stomach,wonder if that was what caused the wear on the steering wheel :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

That car's in Clarkes Auto Services in Ballina. They were an Opel dealer for donkeys years. Last time I stopped for diesel there they had a heap of really old (70s-early 90s) Opels round the place, this is one of that lot I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭homingbird

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/02-c5-diesel-nct-tax/7702343

Cheap buy if they are trouble free. Should get someone going for awhile with a nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

homingbird wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/02-c5-diesel-nct-tax/7702343

Cheap buy if they are trouble free. Should get someone going for awhile with a nct.

May be nothing, but if it's "running prefect" as he says in the add, why is he selling it so soon?

Vehicle Registration Number 02KY2839
    Vehicle Details CITROEN / C5
    Change Of Vehicle Ownership
    Transferred to an Individual on : 01/08/2014
    Notified on : 01/08/2014
    Vehicle Registration Certificate
    Most recent Vehicle Registration Certificate issued on : 05/08/2014

Col200sx wrote: »
    May be nothing, but if it's "running prefect" as he says in the add, why is he selling it so soon?

Vehicle Registration Number 02KY2839
    Vehicle Details CITROEN / C5
    Transferred to an Individual on : 01/08/2014
    Notified on : 01/08/2014
    Vehicle Registration Certificate
    Most recent Vehicle Registration Certificate issued on : 05/08/2014

Might be a genuine change of mind, it happens. It would need to be questioned though

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It would need to be questioned though

Aye.

Q: "So how long have you owned the car"
    A: "About 3 years now"

Seller is no doubt lying about other things too. Walk away...

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kwazar

Is that any good? As an alternative for Focus let's say.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fusion/7623928

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

kwazar wrote: »

that one looks in good shape, good bit of tax and test.

they are a sound car, not much to write home about but what family car is. boot is probably a little less practical than a focus but it's much of a muchness.

if they have receipts for the timing belt etc, i'd certainly consider it. that one's a basic LX spec but it's more "up in the years" looking that a mk1 focus imo.

A focus is better in almost every department. Nothing wrong with the fusion though but it is based on a fiesta which is from a class below the focus.

What about this one? Looks well, nice spec, NCT, tax, low mileage. What am I missing? ;) Are they high maintenance or what?
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-fabia-2001-top-spec-new-nct-tax/7705394

Aye.

Maybe they did have the car 3 years though, as I said it would need to be questioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What about this one? Looks well, nice spec, NCT, tax, low mileage. What am I missing? ;) Are they high maintenance or what?
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-fabia-2001-top-spec-new-nct-tax/7705394
    Priest's car? :)

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Priest's car? :)

:D I don't think so unless the priest has a side business. ;)
    VEHICLE
    Vehicle Registration Number 01D44674
    Vehicle Details SKODA / FABIA
    Purchased by a Dealer on : 13/09/2014
    Notified on : 15/09/2014

they are a desperate car on the inside. never seen anything more boring. that said, the decent spec may compensate for that a little.

we had one in the family... had some braking issues, head gasket failure, broken engine mounts, alternator failed etc. maybe we were just unlucky but imo they aren't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not any worse inside than a Polo of similar age though.

they are a desperate car
    imo they aren't great.
    Fair enough. Still looking then. :)

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not any worse inside than a Polo of similar age though.

ah they are very skimpy, i'm not one to notice the subtle variations in VAG stuff, but the amount of hard plastic in the skoda is chronic. the ergonomics and style of the 9n polo is a little better even though both unashamedly spartan.

Skoda-Fabia_2003_photo_06.jpg

Used_Volkswagen_Polo_1_9_Sport_Tdi_100_Hatchback_Grey_2002_Diesel_for_Sale_in_UK.jpg

it's just the opinion of a guy on the internet though, the OP should have a sit in one really to see for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

6n polo is a fairer comparison though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Aye.

I dunno tho, so what if he has it for a month or so? He could have got it for free, nct'd it and flipped it.who cares if the car is alright?
    It's a 12 year old car with 170,000 miles on the clock for €850. The number or frequency of owners would be well down my priority list tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Heap of test - May '16
    Diesel
    6 speed
    Adverts written like this one immediately make me suspicious, could be just me.
    Asking €1,975

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-peuge-407-st-2-0-hdi-6-speed-nctd/7703269

33175276.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

cadaliac wrote: »
    I dunno tho, so what if he has it for a month or so? He could have got it for free, nct'd it and flipped it.who cares if the car is alright?
    It's a 12 year old car with 170,000 miles on the clock for €850. The number or frequency of owners would be well down my priority list tbh.

Generally when people buy a car and sell it a few weeks later it's due to them either flipping for cash (nothing wrong with that) or have discovered something expensive to fix but aren't telling you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

W123-80's wrote: »
    Heap of test - May '16
    Diesel
    6 speed
    Adverts written like this one immediately make me suspicious, could be just me.
    Asking €1,975

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-peuge-407-st-2-0-hdi-6-speed-nctd/7703269
    http://photos2.donedeal.ie/cars/2006-peuge-407-st-2-0-hdi-6-speed-nctd/View2/33175276.jpeg
    I bought a 05 ST Sport (much nicer seats, 17" alloys etc) for a lot less there 8 months ago. Super car to drive. Fair amounts of power and torque and extremely comfortable. My biggest gripe really is the 43mpg from it. Not spectacular when compared to similar sized diesels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Quazzie wrote: »
    I bought a 05 ST Sport (much nicer seats, 17" alloys etc) for a lot less there 8 months ago. Super car to drive. Fair amounts of power and torque and extremely comfortable. My biggest gripe really is the 43mpg from it. Not spectacular when compared to similar sized diesels.
    Wow.. nice buy.!
    Why are they so cheap?

Wow.. nice buy.!
    Why are they so cheap?

It's a Peugeot, that's why. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Wow.. nice buy.!
    Why are they so cheap?

Because when they go bad, they go expensively bad. EGRs, Turbos, and DMF are regulars to go, especially on ones with bad service history.

cadaliac wrote: »

You missed my point. I couldn't care how many miles it has, how many owners it's had or if the current owner is flipping it for a quick profit. However if I have immediate proof (quick look at the VLC will do here, JohnBoy :)) that he is lying to me when I ask a simple question, I have no interest in dealing with that person. There's probably more they are hiding, why else lie?

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Because when they go bad, they go expensively bad. EGRs, Turbos, and DMF are regulars to go, especially on ones with bad service history.

That's why I would buy a petrol. Costs hundreds less to buy and most expensive things to go wrong on a diesel, aren't there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Just strange that the 407 for sale in Tipp has photos taken in front of Plassy House in the University of Limerick and the lad with the skoda for sale at the church yard also has photos taken in the church yard of the avensis he is selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

You missed my point. I couldn't care how many miles it has, how many owners it's had or if the current owner is flipping it for a quick profit. However if I have immediate proof (quick look at the VLC will do here, JohnBoy :)) that he is lying to me when I ask a simple question, I have no interest in dealing with that person. There's probably more they are hiding, why else lie?
    Apologies, I didn't realise you asked that question. I thought it was hypothetical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

a runner for next year.... tax till july 15 only 800

saab convertible
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-convertable/7535226

32360409.jpeg

kupus wrote: »
    tax till july 15

Tax is up this month unfortunately. With tax till July '15 and a manual (working) roof, I'd be on the phone to him right now :)

NCT is genuine until 01/08/2015

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Just strange that the 407 for sale in Tipp has photos taken in front of Plassy House in the University of Limerick

UL is only about 15 mins from Tipp (the border, anyway), last time I checked!! :cool:

What got me was the effort to set the car well for the photos, and then not bother to correctly case the text....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Generally when people buy a car and sell it a few weeks later it's due to them either flipping for cash (nothing wrong with that) or have discovered something expensive to fix but aren't telling you.

Perhaps they were selling something more expensive ad took it as a trade in simply because they had no better offers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

opps meant NCT till july 15 and also meant to out it in fixer thread along with volvo v70 that i posted there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

UL is only about 15 mins from Tipp (the border, anyway), last time I checked!! :cool:

What got me was the effort to set the car well for the photos, and then not bother to correctly case the text....

True but why would you go to a different county to take your pics. Surely you just do it in your yard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

True but why would you go to a different county to take your pics. Surely you just do it in your yard.

Maybe they work in or near UL or even they're starting college as a mature student and need to offload the car to pay fees?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement