Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You don't see too many of those around!

Last time I seen one of those was on wheeler dealers :D

bear1 wrote: »
    Took this from another thread

http://cars.donedeal.ie/modifiedcars-for-sale/fiat-seicento-sporting-1-2-16v-6-speed/7741607

86bhp! That would go like a rocket I think :D

The matt rattle can black respray and the bucket seat would put me right off that car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

unkel wrote: »
    Who says Alfa Romeos are unreliable? .

Gobsh*tes ;)

Une petite voiture

NCT till June, 800

New tyres and liar plates :D
    33434489.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Duncan31

This seems to be the place for advice on a cheap car.

I called this guy and he seems genuine. Might take a look.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-rover-75-1-8-new-2-year-nct/7753086
    Would I be mad.
    I didnt know a car approaching 10 years could get 2 years test but he explained that there was a recent change in the nct system. Anyway nct website says it correct.
    Alot of miles on it but im tempted to have a look as I love these cars.
    Whats it worth and what should I look out for. Im aware that head gasket is a common problem but my father says that they are not as bad as the give away pricing would suggest - He means that people steer clear because of this and the prices have suffered. He likes these cars too and wants me to buy it so it might not be the best advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Duncan31 wrote: »

Would I be mad.
    I didnt know a car approaching 10 years could get 2 years test but he explained that there was a recent change in the nct system. Anyway nct website says it correct.
    Whats it worth and what should I look out for. Im aware that head gasket is a common problem but my father says that they are not as bad as the give away pricing would suggest - He means that people steer clear because of this and the prices have suffered. He likes these cars too and wants me to buy it so it might not be the best advice.

He's correct about the nct. It was tested outside its 10 year anniversary so it got a 2 year nct. It looks a very nice clean car certainly worth a look. Be practical and check the obvious things like crash damage different paint shades etc. Try and find out why it's being sold, it could be something as simple as a company car being offered or maybe a change of job necessitating a more economical car. Inspect with your head and not your heart. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Would I be mad.

Looks good to me m8,it has already had the upgraded head gasket kit done so should be fine :)

Wouldnt worry about the mileage as you will be able to tell when you see it if it has been driven hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

my father says that they are not as bad as the give away pricing would sugges

Your dad is spot on. Maybe he should buy it himself :D

You won't find another car with a 2 year NCT and as comfortable as the Rover 75 for anywhere near that money. Nice find!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

That rover is over priced for what it is.....new nct or no new nct.

Thats a sub 1 k car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

One thing that put me off buying a saloon 75 I went to see was the bad visibility out the back due to the small screen.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Esel wrote: »
    One thing that put me off buying a saloon 75 I went to see was the bad visibility out the back due to the small screen.

The reversing sensors should help that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Somebody save it
    33392689.jpeg

3.0 V6 sportronic
    Taxed till the end of the year and tested till mid March, it's ever got new tyres

What's this like to drive compared to the manual v6?

Box works well and made by ZF (German manufacturer who provides the boxes for almost all high end cars) but it's old skool. 4-speed so thirsty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

So around 20-25mpg ish?

Moneymaker wrote: »
    So around 20-25mpg ish?

20 at best tbh

Unless you insult the car and drive it like a Toyota :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Facelift coupe
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-coupe-price-drop-/7236241

I know these are a bit of a handbag, but still

Short test but almost a free car with the tax on it :)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo-1-8-tdci-n-c-t-tax/7760240

33463173.jpeg

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Best mate had one as a bangernomics car also with the V6 Busso engine. Bought it for a bit over a grand with an LPG installation and sold it a year or two later for a bit under a grand when it was no longer economically viable to keep it on the road (needed belt / pump / tyres)

When he got rid, it had well over 300k km on it. Who says Alfa Romeos are unreliable? They just needed decent maintenance and will cost a bit more than other cars to keep right, but that's it really.
    Box works well and made by ZF (German manufacturer who provides the boxes for almost all high end cars) but it's old skool. 4-speed so thirsty.
    So around 20-25mpg ish?

Having a test drive tomorrow, can reduce my current 250 miles per week to less than 150 no hassle, looking forward to it.

Really hope it's on the level and you buy it.

Seeing that car broken would break my heart.

Really hope it's on the level and you buy it.

Seeing that car broken would break my heart.

Just talking to Don he was very open about the car and answered every question I had, so I'm hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Stheno wrote: »
    Just talking to Don he was very open about the car and answered every question I had, so I'm hoping.

Good luck with it, really hope it's a winner for you. :)

They are great yokes :) That example is a UK import though so if anyone is interested in it have a good look at the rear wheel arches for rust. If it's clean it will make a very decent cheap to run and maintain bangernomics car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

colm_mcm wrote: »

Not Recaros and not full GTi spec either.

Nice car all the same although I find black to be the worst colour for Mk4s

Nope. But for what it is, it isn't half bad.

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »
    Good luck with it, really hope it's a winner for you. :)

Guy who looked at it yesterday is taking it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Admldj

Don't know if i'm allowed post this if not mods remove it please, but i put my mazda 6 up for sale today, ticks all the bangernomics boxes and i'll give €50 off the asking to any buyer who mentions this thread, also any critique of the ad would be welcome, thanks

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-6-for-sale/7763996

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

What happened the old engine?
    Have you receipts/paperwork for work done on the car? Did she miss any services?

What happened the old engine?
    Have you receipts/paperwork for work done on the car? Did she miss any services?

Previous owner let it run low on oil, also used wrong spark plugs combination of these things left me with a nice big bill two weeks after buying it! i have reciepts there for most things I've bought for car since I've had it which wasn't anything more than basic service parts ,a belt and some brake pads and it has never missed a service, also passed nct about a month ago no problem ,the tester remarked about how tight everything was for a 12 year old car

Admldj wrote: »
    any critique of the ad would be welcome[/url]

Car looks very well! Long NCT helps but your asking price is optimistic. These cars do not sell well, try €999 and see what offers you can get :)

The petrol engines are not known to give trouble, I'd be concerned why your engine failed. Be honest here. Very poor service history maybe? No record of oil changes much from yourself and / or previous owner(s)?

I'm not pointing any finger, just sharing what I've come across. I know a lady who buys brand new small Peugeots. The cars are traded in for new ones every 3 years and none of them are ever serviced :eek:

Edit: you beat me to it :)

Previous owner let it run low on oil, also used wrong spark plugs combination of these things left me with a nice big bill two weeks after buying it! i have reciepts there for most things I've bought for car since I've had it which wasn't anything more than basic service parts ,a belt and some brake pads and it has never missed a service, also passed nct about a month ago no problem ,the tester remarked about how tight everything was for a 12 year old car

I would mention that the old engine failed due to the previous owners neglect and not yours if the date on the logbook and receipt for the new engine back this up.

A picture of the paperwork since you bought the car might help the ad.

The previous owner did neglect it, and the receipts and log book would verify this but i only get 10 pictures to put up if some one is interested in the car i can show them the receipts, i don't think the price is optimistic most comfort spec don't have alloys and I'm including the roof bars (€150 worth) with the car that's a pretty nice package for a little over a grand

i don't think the price is optimistic

If you're not in a hurry there's no harm in trying your asking price. You never know. I very much doubt you get anywhere near that though, but good luck with your sale :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I may be joining the bangernomics clan come Saturday ;) Watch this space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Nissan/Almera/1.8-4DR/71314077733098170/

Seems cheap for a 03 Automatic :confused: What do you guys think, is the dealer reliable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Seems cheap for a 03 Automatic :confused: What do you guys think, is the dealer reliable?

its a **** car, with the wrong engine (irish tax mentality) and the wrong gearbox for most. and you just know that it had a set of gaudy 18"s fitted before it went up for sale. expensive if anything :P

They aren't good cars imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

If said dealer left the thing in my driveway at 3am and then ran away it'd be too expensive. :pac:

its a **** car, with the wrong engine (irish tax mentality) and the wrong gearbox for most. and you just know that it had a set of gaudy 18"s fitted before it went up for sale. expensive if anything :P
    They aren't good cars imo.
    jimgoose wrote: »
    If said dealer left the thing in my driveway at 3am and then ran away it'd be too expensive. :pac:

Out of curiosity whats so bad about them? I dont mind the engine size as it will be a A-B to C at the weekends car.

They are unreliable for a start timing chains stretch, wiper motor gives up, heater in car failed twice on me, boot leaked, gearbox packed up (but mine was manual), it ate lightbulbs, brake calipers stick, it has a lot of sensors on the engine/exhaust which like failing at about €200 a pop for the part.

All in all they arent up to much. It was a big mistake on my part to get one. Never again.

They are unreliable for a start timing chains stretch, wiper motor gives up, heater in car failed twice on me, boot leaked, gearbox packed up (but mine was manual), it ate lightbulbs, brake calipers stick, it has a lot of sensors on the engine/exhaust which like failing at about €200 a pop for the part.

All in all they arent up to much. It was a big mistake on my part to get one. Never again.

Fair enough ill steer clear :)

There are other options a corolla, mazda3, a focus are all a lot better. I dont know much about the automatic gearboxes in them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

There are other options a corolla, mazda3, a focus are all a lot better.

the finer points of which are being sifted through here :pac:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057295856

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement