Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

nookie wrote: »
    I will be treating it in exactly the same manner as I treat all my cars, which means it'll be looked after during my time with it.

Will I be paying for any major repairs? No. I intend to waft around in it until the new year (3 days with it has already taught me that attempting to use up the tires on top of the tax will cost me a small fortune in petrol so waft it is) and then ideally sell it on again for somewhere near what I paid for it less the tax. If I can't manage that then unfortunately it will go back to where I got it from and the inevitable will happen.

Would that be a shame, yes of course it would - it's far too nice a car for that, but I want to get rid of it after four months ideally after nothing has gone wrong and regret it for the rest of my life than keep it for two years, have it break my heart and resent it for the rest of my life.

Maybe you should stay in touch with Stheno?
    If you already know that you have someone interested in the car then I'd take some small care of it.
    Remember, those cars (especially the V6's) need TLC. If you do neglect it and then sell it on you are potentially giving the new owner nothing but grief.
    Not having a go at you, but it's quite a rare car on Irish roads that if it were me I would be taking care of it.
    Out of curiosity, was the timing belt and water pump done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

I've absolutely no intention of neglecting it. That being said though I've no intention of undertaking any hefty repair bills either though on what ultimately was a €900 car. Given that I'd be surprised if I put 2k miles on it, I'm hoping that it will not fall apart under my caretaker-ship. Belt and pump was done at 69k, and it's now at just under 105k.

Tbh I had actually delayed all weekend in deciding to take it - half hoping that someone who could give it a more loving home than I could would take it. But I'd been told that if it wasn't gone by Sunday evening that a sledge was going through the front wing, so when it was still there Sunday lunch-time I decided to jump, on the proviso that if I couldn't find a better home for it, it'd go back. Thankfully I've already received two expressions of interest from other boards members already so here's hoping that won't have to happen.

Hmm I'd say the belt will need doing very soon.
    36k on it already, actually you are bordering on playing roulette with it.
    If you don't want any hefty bills then I'd be selling it quite soon
    As I said before, I didn't mean to sound harsh or anything. Just annoys me when people buy these cars - pay feck all attention to them and then when something goes wrong scream ""sure Alfas are ****e"".
    Not saying that's you but you see it a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bear1 wrote: »

The Bussos are far less prone to belt snapping than the twin sparks. On a sub 1k bangernomics Busso, I wouldn't change the belt under 50k miles myself. And after 50k miles, I'd probably sell :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you don't want any hefty bills then I'd be selling it quite soon
    As I said before, I didn't mean to sound harsh or anything. Just annoys me when people buy these cars - pay feck all attention to them and then when something goes wrong scream ""sure Alfas are ****e"".
    Not saying that's you but you see it a lot.

I owned a 166 from 3 years old for about 3 years. Now I take very good care of my cars, spend too much on them in general but I will be honest and say the alfa broke me down.
    At that stage everything was main dealer as they were relatively new and quite rare.
    The repair costs did get out of hand given that it was a newish car with 47k miles when I bought it.
    It needed a constant list of repairs. It was an ex company car too so was well looked after prior to my ownership.

Just an alternative view on it.

mickdw wrote: »
    I owned a 166 from 3 years old for about 3 years. Now I take very good care of my cars, spend too much on them in general but I will be honest and say the alfa broke me down.
    At that stage everything was main dealer as they were relatively new and quite rare.
    The repair costs did get out of hand given that it was a newish car with 47k miles when I bought it.
    It needed a constant list of repairs. It was an ex company car too so was well looked after prior to my ownership.

Just an alternative view on it.

I hear ya. When I got my 156 it was a seriously neglected car.
    Faults everywhere but I was smitten.
    I tackled each one by one until eventually I got the car exactly how it should have been. It cost me pretty penny but I loved that car so much that I didn't care. Stupidity I know but I'd do it all again.
    I bought her with 110k miles? I think anyway. Scrapped it with near enough 250k on it.
    If you buy a Sunday car then no amount of repairs will cure it.
    Anyway enough of the Alfa talk :D

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car/7792148

Good run around car I'd say or leaner car.
    Plenty of tax and NCT 02/15 - 900e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I've absolutely no intention of neglecting it. That being said though I've no intention of undertaking any hefty repair bills either though on what ultimately was a €900 car. Given that I'd be surprised if I put 2k miles on it, I'm hoping that it will not fall apart under my caretaker-ship. Belt and pump was done at 69k, and it's now at just under 105k.

Former owner here - the original engine was swapped out so the belt was done around 15,000 miles ago really. The odometer reflects the mileage on the original engine, 69k was the mileage on the engine that was swapped in.

I sold the car the the person you bought it from in good condition. There was nothing that needed work other than one or two minor issues that were basically cosmetic in nature. I bought the car a few years ago and spent quite a bit of money getting everything sorted on it. The seller's ad was honest - he did buy it for parts but I told him to do what he liked with it - I am not surprised that he sold it on - I kept it very well - it was a second car for me. It's not long after a professional detail.

I sold the car for no other reason than:

(a) the insurance renewal (two car policy) was due and I saw the opportunity to save at least a few hundred euro
    (b) the tax - although paid until January, I just couldn't stomach it any more, especially since I now pay over 1000 a year on my daily driver
    (c) it needed a tank of fuel....

No repairs needed, but all the other costs just became too much for me.

It's a lovely car - good luck to the new owner with whatever they decide to do with it.

Btw, I have a set of Alfa 17" rims for the car that I will sell if you are interested. No tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

• Advertisement

W123-80's wrote: »
    Test May '15
    Looks nice
    Asking €550

Gone already!

Very popular car, solid credentials, so that is too cheap. I'd say it needs work. Anyone find out about it - please update on this thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

unkel wrote: »
    Very popular car, solid credentials, so that is too cheap. I'd say it needs work. Anyone find out about it - please update on this thread :)

Find out yourself you lazy git:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

I would guess its clutch flywheel issue.Crap colour .But if a chap could do the work himself its a cheap 05 octavia 1.9tdi.

jca wrote: »
    Find out yourself you lazy git:):)

If I was interested in buying it, I would :)

• Advertisement

bigroad wrote: »
    I would guess its clutch flywheel issue.Crap colour .But if a chap could do the work himself its a cheap 05 octavia 1.9tdi.

Or a knackered turbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

Or a knackered turbo.
    I agree its something that will cost five hundred to a grand to fix maybe more.
    130k is also low for such a car.
    Would need the glasses on for that one.

Or a knackered turbo.

In that case I'd run away!

bigroad wrote: »
    I agree its something that will cost five hundred to a grand to fix maybe more.
    130k is also low for such a car.
    Would need the glasses on for that one.

Turbo was kaput in my ex car at 89,000KM.... Not doing the correct driving apparently:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

How expensive a job is it to stick in a reconditioned turbo into something like that VAG ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Markcheese wrote: »
    How expensive a job is it to stick in a reconditioned turbo into something like that VAG ?

At least as much as you'd pay for it :pac:

Markcheese wrote: »

Going the recon route and using my independent mechanic still wouldn't leave me much change out of €1,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Going the recon route and using my independent mechanic still wouldn't leave me much change out of €1,000

Less than half that.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Quazzie wrote: »
    Less than half that.

Really?? Any links to prices? A recon turbo with warranty + fitting + oil feed and return pipes + oil & filter all for less than 500 yoyo's:D:D I love the internet:pac::pac:

Really?? Any links to prices? A recon turbo with warranty + fitting + oil feed and return pipes + oil & filter all for less than 500 yoyo's:D:D I love the internet:pac::pac:

I had a Tdi toledo and the turbo went, got a replacement turbo for €300, and fitted for €100 with just under €100 for all the other bits.

Found exactly the one I was looking for on donedeal/

Quazzie wrote: »
    I had a Tdi toledo and the turbo went, got a replacement turbo for €300, and fitted for €100 with just under €100 for all the other bits.

Found exactly the one I was looking for on donedeal/

AHHH Donedeal...enough said. Discussion terminated..

AHHH Donedeal...enough said. Discussion terminated..

lol. Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Turbos don't give much problems on those engines. It would be very clear to see if the turbo is on the way out anyway upon inspection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Turbos don't give much problems on those engines. It would be very clear to see if the turbo is on the way out anyway upon inspection.

How would you know?

<---- Scrub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

In fairness somebody first said they reckoned there was something wrong with the car as it was priced so cheap. Then it went to somebody suggesting the clutch flywheel. Somebody else piped in and said they reckoned the turbo was gone. Suddenly we then seem to have universal consensus that the turbo is croaked and speculation of how much it would be to fix etc:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

In fairness somebody first said they reckoned there was something wrong with the car as it was priced so cheap. Then it went to somebody suggesting the clutch flywheel. Somebody else piped in and said they reckoned the turbo was gone. Suddenly we then seem to have universal consensus that the turbo is croaked and speculation of how much it would be to fix etc:eek:
    Hey, we just chewin' the fat here, bubba! :pac:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

2005 Accord , 2.2 Diesel, Leather .
    NCT Mar 15

Ad lacks details - no mention of mileage , suspiciously cheap @ €1800 ?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord/7704426

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

RayCon wrote: »
    NCT Mar 15

Cheap but I'd wager it will need something like a Flywheel or manifold replaced at that price.

I'd say the turbo is fecked on that Accord, maybe we should talk about it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

HJL wrote: »
    swap for Rwd motorbike crewcab

:confused::confused::confused:

Maybe:

piaggio-unveils-new-ape-mini-truck.jpg

RayCon wrote: »
    NCT Mar 15

Does say 159k miles. Ad 2 weeks old and watched over 2000 times. There's only one reason that car has not been sold yet........ :pac:

'05 Mondeo for a grand :eek:

33576567.jpeg

Irish car, leather, auto, low miles, NCT 01/15

Linky

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Whip out turbo yourself and send to this crowd:
    http://www.turbo-tech.ie/
    If you pay more than 500, you've done something wrong.

• Advertisement

'05 Mondeo for a grand :eek:

33576567.jpeg

Irish car, leather, auto, low miles, NCT 01/15

Linky

Hmm, a 2.0 petrol 2005 Mondy with that sort of number plate and colour would lead me to think it used to be a Garda car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Hmm, a 2.0 petrol 2005 Mondy with that sort of number plate and colour would lead me to think it used to be a Garda car.

i'd agree, first thing i thought was ex-garda.

looks too well a spec to be a garda car though, unless the bits are retrofit.

i mean look at the interior, then look outside and there are steel wheels and no front fogs.

those exhausts are mega black for a petrol car though and there is two odd tail lamps. wouldn't go near it with a bargepole.

i'd agree, first thing i thought was ex-garda.

looks too well a spec to be a garda car though, unless the bits are retrofit.

i mean look at the interior, then look outside and there are steel wheels and no front fogs.

those exhausts are mega black for a petrol car though and there is two odd tail lamps. wouldn't go near it with a bargepole.

I'd say that's the case. If it was a private car and the leather was in it from new then I would have expected at least electric rear windows.

Plenty of 2l petrol Mondeo ex-Garda cars, but an automatic?

And for a grand of course it's rough :p

Rough extremely cheap cars for the bangernomics win :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Automatic?

Leather only came as standard on the Ghia spec in that year asking with alloys, fogs, full electrics, etc so it's retro fitted.

The guards were pretty much the only ones who bought 2.0 petrols, especially in white.

That spoiler is also horrific

Back in my school days there was a Mondy automatic Garda car.
    Very rare I'd imagine but they were there.
    Personally I wouldn't drive it but it's a cheap car for going from A-B.

• Advertisement

it's not bangernomics really is it. those mondeos are always worth **** all in petrol.

less than 3 months test, no tax, looks haggard and i'd take 122k kms with a pinch of salt!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-ford-mondeo-lx-automatic-quick-sale/7212373

looking at the gearstick in this car it would appear that the white one is also a manual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-ford-mondeo-lx-automatic-quick-sale/7212373

looking at the gearstick in this car it would appear that the white one is also a manual?

The white one also has a clutch pedal.

Edit: It's a manual. https://www.motorcheck.ie/free-car-check/05d6539/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

rizzee wrote: »

I doubt it somehow. That engine isnt great in the A3, so in the A4 you probably need a runway to overtake anything.

Be grand for pottering around the city or doing a school run I suppose though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement