Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Sorry for your loss op :-( cant imagine what you must be going through. Id look at putting an ad up on donedeal, i wouldnt bother with adverts.ie as you will have nothing but idiotic questions like whats the tax like and crap offers. Stick her up for a grand and see how it goes. Have you thought about the sentimental value it may hold? Could be worth keeping just for memories alone.. I wish you all the luck op

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

W123-80's wrote: »
    '98 Corolla
    Special Edition Pink model
    Test May '15
    Asking €795

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/corolla-nct05-15-full-service-history/7591178

32617483.jpeg

Color of a dog's lipstick sticking out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Color of a dog's lipstick sticking out...

This will bring it back. It looks to be very clean and straight underneath all the oxidation.

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/cleaning-products/detailing-products/meguiars-ultimate-compound-450ml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

sblythe wrote: »
    Hi, hope this is okay to be posted here - we're selling my Dad's car, its a 1997 BMW 520i manual. He has owned it for 12 years and it has been well looked after. Unfortunately my Dad passed away last month and we can't hold onto his car. If anybody would be interested in taking it off our hands we would be more than obliging. It is in very good order and drives great. It still has NCT and tax. We aren't expecting hundreds for it, but any generous offer can take it away. Thanks, Scott. (Mods, please remove if necessary).

Sorry about losing your father sblythe. I think that if you provide some more detail you will get this sold fast. Roughly how much are you looking for and where are you based. How many miles are on the car any tax or NCT etc..

An ad on Donedeal might be good.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    This will bring it back. It looks to be very clean and straight underneath all the oxidation.

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/cleaning-products/detailing-products/meguiars-ultimate-compound-450ml

Not always. Friend had a faded red Triumph GT6. 'tis easy, he thought, bottle of polish (like the above), a machine, apply liberally and soon you'll have a shiny, gleaming red motor.
    In some spots he polished the pink down to the primer and it was still faded pink.
    Those products wildly overpromise what they can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Not always. Friend had a faded red Triumph GT6. 'tis easy, he thought, bottle of polish (like the above), a machine, apply liberally and soon you'll have a shiny, gleaming red motor.
    In some spots he polished the pink down to the primer and it was still faded pink.
    I‘ve done a starlet a few months back,it came up a treat

your friend must of burned through the paint with the polisher, a fault of the user rather than the product im afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

That corolla will easily come back. Would nearly buy it just to correct the paint :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I‘ve done a starlet a few months back,it came up a treat

your friend must of burned through the paint with the polisher, a fault of the user rather than the product im afraid.
    Recentish Japanese red/pink is probably well different from any GT6 red/pink. Using a machine, and liberally applying compound/polish does not often equal 'back to black'. Or red.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That toyota red just needs a touch of compound.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Maybe it was actually a Pink Triumph GT6 he unknowningly bought and not a red one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

The most pointless saloon ever! Bit of an oddity that the hatch was almost identical on those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The most pointless saloon ever! Bit of an oddity that the hatch was almost identical on those.

Yes - I remember when I first became interested in cars - and obviously knew what a saloon was - ie a Cortina or a Bluebird saloon for example - or even the previous 1970s model Kadett the model featured here replaced

And being confused when id see 1982 Kadett Saloon in a classified ad in the paper - as it was "the wrong shape" to be a saloon.

They were decent enough cars though at the time - imo

Ded_Zebra wrote: »

Cool, I had one of those! It was a later model, the 1.4 (I think) and it was kack-brown.
    Awesome machine, I named it Rusty James. it's a car that is so uncool, it's cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

We had one when I was a teenager. The first car I ever drove (in a carpark). Ours was the 1.3S luxus though, with a bit of poke in it. That one is the very, very bottom of the range. With the ancient OHV 52HP 1.2N engine and the most basic spec (the round headlamps are a giveaway of the cheapest spec). It's not even a hatchback (which was a very cheap upgrade at the time)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭bigroad

If you ever drove a sr or a gte you would not say that.

bigroad wrote: »

Hes referring to the Saloon being the same shape as the hatchback - not the cars overall merits as a package.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

saloons-passing-for-hatches was a bit of a theme back then. We had Lancias ( beta berlina and the gorgeous gamma) that looked like they should be hatches but werent, not to mention the early Fiat 127's, but they eventually went hatchback as well.

Probably lots more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

saloons-passing-for-hatches was a bit of a theme back then. We had Lancias ( beta berlina and the gorgeous gamma) that looked like they should be hatches but werent, not to mention the early Fiat 127's, but they eventually went hatchback as well.

Probably lots more.

We had the opposite a few years back with the c5, hatch pretending to be a saloon!

Probably lots more.

Austin Allegro is another that springs to mind - there was NEVER afaik an Allegro hatchback - but it had the shape of a hatchback imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

mondymike wrote: »
    We had the opposite a few years back with the c5, hatch pretending to be a saloon!

What about this beauty...

21224150021_large.jpg

daihatsu_applause_a1247957402b2863659_3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

unkel wrote: »
    We had one when I was a teenager. The first car I ever drove (in a carpark). Ours was the 1.3S luxus though, with a bit of poke in it. That one is the very, very bottom of the range. With the ancient OHV 52HP 1.2N engine and the most basic spec (the round headlamps are a giveaway of the cheapest spec). It's not even a hatchback (which was a very cheap upgrade at the time)

My dad had a 1.3S Luxus. 1983 or 84 in beige. 125OPI was the reg if anyone can work it out from that. What was extra on the 1.3 because I remember it being fairly basic at the time.

What was extra on the 1.3 because I remember it being fairly basic at the time.

I can't remember, but apart from the square lights not a lot probably :D

Bit of research:

The base model had no front headrests (the luxus had basic open head rests) and no side bumper strip. No second wing mirror either. No chrome strips in the grille. Also the luxus had nicer upholstery although our one came with fake leather (skai) :D

1.2N is pushrod (so timing chain) Opel engine from the 60s and still had a manual choke :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I can't remember, but apart from the square lights not a lot probably :D

Bit of research:

The base model had no front headrests (the luxus had basic open head rests) and no side bumper strip. No second wing mirror either. No chrome strips in the grille. Also the luxus had nicer upholstery although our one came with fake leather (skai) :D

1.2N is pushrod (so timing chain) Opel engine from the 60s and still had a manual choke :)
    Jesus I remember them well. And, the lack of spec in those cars. "Extras" were head restraints and a passenger wing mirror. Christ, thankfully, we have moved on a good bit in tech and safety.
    Our babysitter had a new one. She was a battle axe and the babysitter was too :pac:
    I absolutely hated those cars, more so because of association with the babysitter tho. The family car was an Opel Rekord Diesel (with the hump in the bonnet) at the time.

Anyway, Oblig Banger:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-1-25-16v-zetec-s-new-nct/7862040
    fresh looking Fiesta with low miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

So I purchases the E class I was banging on about last week.

Got a bus from Cork to Dublin. Then the train from Dublin to Dundalk and the chap collected me from there and drove me to his place in carrickmacross.

No malfunctions, no knocks or rattles. Nct until next May.

€800 exchanged hands and on my way back to Cork I was.

Happy camper!!

Told ya so, well worth the trip!

Well wear :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

@DAZP93 - well wear. Looks lovely. I missed the ad last week - any more pics? Is it a kompressor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'm claiming partial credit for you going. :pac:

Lot of car for sod all money. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

Well worth the trip indeed.

I'll pop up a few more pics tomorrow. She's an E200 Kompressor Auto. I cannot fault her at all. Passes the NCT in June/ 900 miles ago.

Edit: still exhausted after all the traveling, rolled in the driveway at 10pm last night - exactly 14 hours after I left.

• Advertisement

bigroad wrote: »

Did the SR or GTE come in saloon? Ice only ever seen hatchbacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭bigroad

Not sure i think my neighbour had a yellow 1.6sr saloon .Then again it could of been a hatch ,its so long ago now.
    I agree with you on the pointless saloon ,its hard to know why people bought them.
    Its the saloon culture in Ireland.
    A friend had a black sr 1.6 and it was a pokey car back then would 120mph no probs.Good in that day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

You mean a saloon like this?
    Aul fella had a Kadett 1.3SR years ago with a boot.

DSC00823.jpg

No evidence for this but I remember hearing that only the Opel (SR) models were available as saloons, but the Vauxhall ones (GTE) were all hatches.

You mean a saloon like this?
    Aul fella had a Kadett 1.3SR years ago with a boot.

DSC00823.jpg

No evidence for this but I remember hearing that only the Opel (SR) models were available as saloons, but the Vauxhall ones (GTE) were all hatches.

Off topic but is that the sr from behind Kane's of Longford?

• Advertisement

Afaik the saloon was only the most basic version.

Even back in the day, the boot hinges looked ridiculous, cheap and nasty:

7222092414_fcb0268230_n.jpg

Ha! I remembered wrong so! Hinges look less stupid on the SR :)

Ha! I remembered wrong so! Hinges look less stupid on the SR :)

I think the arches spoiler etc being black kinda makes them fit in. If they were all white or it was just black bumpers n big black hinges then maybe...😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

"very economical on diesel 80 euro gets 1,100 kms". Is this plausible?

Not your ornery onager

Thats 680miles on 50L give or take which is 62mpg so no probably not realistic unless your gentle with the right foot.

• Advertisement

Thats 680miles on 50L give or take which is 62mpg so no probably not realistic unless your gentle with the right foot.

My maths give me a different result. According to pumps.ie, diesel can be had for 1.377/l

So €80 gives you just over 58l

Over 1100km that calculates at about 53MPG. Plausible enough with a light foot. 62MPG is not plausible imho...

So what I did was 1100km=683 miles.
    Diesel near me is 1.46 so €80 gets you 54L=12 Gallon
    683/12=56mpg
    Looking through my calculations I converted km to miles wrong in the earlier post.

Even looking at the publicity photo that Unkel posted shows how silly an idea the Kadett saloon that looked like a hatch was

Hatch just looked and worked so much better.

In fairness the SR in the other pic posted (the UK reg one) looks like it would have being a nice enough car for the era 1980/8.

One of the big drawbacks of Opels of the era though - was the woeful spec you often got on Irish spec cars.

Take the Irish front wheel drive Ascona and its Uk Cavalier Mk 2 equivalent - the UK versions often had much nicer interiors.

Admittedly this was often down to UK drivers specing the nicer GL, CD, SR/SRI ad other options.

But an Ascona or a Kadett was a much nicer car inside if specced up with nicer upholstery and other extras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Old diesel wrote: »
    Even looking at the publicity photo that Unkel posted shows how silly an idea the Kadett saloon that looked like a hatch was

Hatch just looked and worked so much better.

In fairness the SR in the other pic posted (the UK reg one) looks like it would have being a nice enough car for the era 1980/8.

One of the big drawbacks of Opels of the era though - was the woeful spec you often got on Irish spec cars.

Take the Irish front wheel drive Ascona and its Uk Cavalier Mk 2 equivalent - the UK versions often had much nicer interiors.

Admittedly this was often down to UK drivers specing the nicer GL, CD, SR/SRI ad other options.

But an Ascona or a Kadett was a much nicer car inside if specced up with nicer upholstery and other extras
    One thing about hatches, the bodyshell on a saloon is stiffer than a Hatch.
    Thats why some like them even though they look kind of stupid in some cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭highdef

Bit off topic but I had a Kadett hand me down as my first car. It was a 1990 year (facelifted) so getting towards the end of the era of the Kadetts but believe it or not, it was also a 1.2 pushrod with choke. That particular engine started life as a 1 litre in 1962 and evolved into the 1.2 variant in 1971 so it is quite amazing that the exact same variant was still being used 20 years later, assuming the 1.2 was still being fitted to the last of the Kadetts in 1991.

Just did a quick bit of research and the pushrod 1.2 engine made it all the way to 1993 in the Opel Corsa A!!!!

CJhaughey wrote: »
    One thing about hatches, the bodyshell on a saloon is stiffer than a Hatch.
    Thats why some like them even though they look kind of stupid in some cases.

A fair point - but while theres nothing wrong with a saloon in general - its just odd to have a saloon shaped like a hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Old diesel wrote: »
    One of the big drawbacks of Opels of the era though - was the woeful spec

I think Angela Merkals dad must have had one of those, Hence her love of all things 'austere' for Ireland!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think Angela Merkals dad must have had one of those, Hence her love of all things 'austere' for Ireland!! :D
    He had two cars, unusual for a GDR resident.;)

highdef wrote: »
    it was also a 1.2 pushrod with choke. That particular engine started life as a 1 litre in 1962 and evolved into the 1.2 variant in 1971 so it is quite amazing that the exact same variant was still being used 20 years later, assuming the 1.2 was still being fitted to the last of the Kadetts in 1991.

Not as amazing as Ford. They used their 50s pushrod engine in the Fiesta and Ka until 2002 :D

It's still being used in Brazil manufactured Fords :eek:

Saab were using a triumph engine from the seventies up until 2009. They made a few improvements however.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement